Workout safety (stranger danger)

Options

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Concealed weapons are not legal everywhere. And where the hell do you keep it?
    Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Did you just compare running with water to running with a gun on your hip? Is this seriously a thing?

yes. people run with guns. there are special holsters and even lightweight guns that one can use so that they don't affect your running. it's not just for city dwellers worried about muggers, but lots of folks run in the wilderness and there are bears and mountain lions and coyotes to contend with. all of these animals will attack humans on occasion, and some female joggers have been "taken" by mountain lions while running trails in california and other western states in recent years.

i personally don't find anything strange or odd about it. if you get into trouble on a trail, calling for "help" is not the solution.

Any handgun your going to want to run with isn't going to do anything against a bear!

You know what's more dangerous than a bear? Moose. Unless your a trained biathlete, your not going to stop a charging moose with a 380 ACP or a 9mm!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Best advice for women...if you see a group of sketchy guys or even one..LOOK at him. Don't stare. Just make eye contact briefly. Just keep your head up and let them know you know they are there. These guys are looking for easy prey that looks down or away or isnt paying attention.

I usually mean mug people when i'm out running.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    always have a buddy you go with (especially if you run/jog in a wooded or secluded area),

I would never get a run or cycle in if I followed this bit of advice. :noway:

IN to read this train wreak of paranoia later after I've watched the latest criminal minds.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised that there are people who think that predator's don't exist. Women have in fact been abducted on hikes, this happened fairly recently and I thought made national news. People do watch others to figure out their patterns. An admittedly distant acquaintance of mine was murdered because he was a business owner and people watched his habits and realized he didn't always go to the bank with his cash receipts every night.

I'm not saying you should live scared, but you should definitely live aware.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Suddenly I understand treadmills.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Die from boredom or die from roofie water in the park. Either way you're dead.
  • whierd
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised that there are people who think that predator's don't exist. Women have in fact been abducted on hikes, this happened fairly recently and I thought made national news. People do watch others to figure out their patterns. An admittedly distant acquaintance of mine was murdered because he was a business owner and people watched his habits and realized he didn't always go to the bank with his cash receipts every night.

Not a single person has suggested that predators do not exist. Most people are just pointing out the paranoia behind thinking it is so widespread. As another pointed out, you have a better chance of being ran over while jogging than being attacked. Anecdotes about someone being abducted are scary, but not the general rule.
  • whierd
    Options

Die from boredom or die from roofie water in the park. Either way you're dead.

None of us are gonna make it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Best advice for women...if you see a group of sketchy guys or even one..LOOK at him. Don't stare. Just make eye contact briefly. Just keep your head up and let them know you know they are there. These guys are looking for easy prey that looks down or away or isnt paying attention.

Look at him.....and then pull your gun from your holster and shoot him in the face. Better safe than sorry, right?

.....also interested in how we define "looking sketchy"
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I'm surprised people drive cars. People die in them everyday. It happens everyday and doesn't make national news because it is so common. People don't always pay attention to other drivers or their own driving. Six good friends of mine died in one because the other driver was drunk.

I'm saying that we focus on the infinitesimal ways people rarely get killed (because it's more dramatic than your everyday car crash) when there are far greater dangers we face everyday. Be aware but stop with the overbearing fear mongering.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Not a single person has suggested that predators do not exist. Most people are just pointing out the paranoia behind thinking it is so widespread. As another pointed out, you have a better chance of being ran over while jogging than being attacked. Anecdotes about someone being abducted are scary, but not the general rule.

this is why i carry a gun when i go jogging and shoot at every driver in my vicinity. one can never be too careful, right?
  • whierd
    Options

Look at him.....and then pull your gun from your holster and shoot him in the face. Better safe than sorry, right?

.....also interested in how we define "looking sketchy"

You know, men in hoodies, with tattoos, listening to that Hip Hop music? You gotta watch out for the hoodie wearing guys. They might attack you with a bag of Skittles.
  • whierd
    Options

this is why i carry a gun when i go jogging and shoot at every driver in my vicinity. one can never be too careful, right?

Not surprised, you live in LB. Par for the course!

Dang, Redondo Beach...not as funny now. :/
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Oh DEFINITLEY encourage people to carry a gun. Without a doubt, best thing you can do. I just love the idea of jittery paranoid joggers armed. Get a grip.

Projecting much? Do you think your neighbors are out to get you too? Please keep your ignorance to yourself....some people want to actually learn to defend themselves..which happens to be using guns up to 8,200 times a day according to the CDC report Obama requested.

The LCP weighs 9 ounces empty...so it can easily be carried in your pocket or a variety of other places. Google "flashbang bra". I noticed a lot of people never bothered to read or didn't understand my post. My point was there are dangers that exist and they arent reported by the media.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Concealed weapons are not legal everywhere. And where the hell do you keep it?
    Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Did you just compare running with water to running with a gun on your hip? Is this seriously a thing?

yes. people run with guns. there are special holsters and even lightweight guns that one can use so that they don't affect your running. it's not just for city dwellers worried about muggers, but lots of folks run in the wilderness and there are bears and mountain lions and coyotes to contend with. all of these animals will attack humans on occasion, and some female joggers have been "taken" by mountain lions while running trails in california and other western states in recent years.

i personally don't find anything strange or odd about it. if you get into trouble on a trail, calling for "help" is not the solution.

Any handgun your going to want to run with isn't going to do anything against a bear!

You know what's more dangerous than a bear? Moose. Unless your a trained biathlete, your not going to stop a charging moose with a 380 ACP or a 9mm!

there are lightweight .45's.

http://loadoutroom.com/3957/
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I usually mean mug people when i'm out running.

One of the places I run frequently always has tons of drunk people loitering around. So I am usually laughing at what they are up to (singing loudly and off key, peeing in weird places, slouched over in uncomforatble positions). But I am not scared at all of running here, they aren't concerned with what I am doing. Sometimes they comment like "Man, aren't you tired?" as they stumble into a drunken sleep.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is not looking so bad now is it?

But, if you are attacked on a treadmill, your physical fitness will not help you flee from your assailant.

Someone tried to rob me once on the treadmill, I turned it up to 10...and he just waited...
  • whierd
    Options

But, if you are attacked on a treadmill, your physical fitness will not help you flee from your assailant.

Someone tried to rob me once on the treadmill, I turned it up to 10...and he just waited...

:laugh:
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's this simple: If someone wants to get you and cause you harm, they WILL. It doesn't matter if you switch your schedule, post your workout routine or not.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

:laugh:

:laugh: seconded