Workout safety (stranger danger)

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for cyclists in the US but in the UK you can't afford not to pay attention or you're dead. Driver's hatred for cyclists is quite something here.

Indeed, when I was cycle commuting I was hit by cars about 5 times a year. One left me sprawled across the road, with the following vehicles working around me to avoid their journey being disrupted :(

Brompton wasn't damaged, fortunately.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Concealed weapons are not legal everywhere. And where the hell do you keep it?
    Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Have you ever had a gun on a holster attached to your hip? I have and it's not very comfortable to walk with. I can't imagine what it's like to run with that thing let alone the bruise I'd have from it rubbing and banging. Also it's pretty heavy so there's the whole pants falling down issue to contend with as well.

I'm not sure how this is relevant.
    NM, Totally not worth it to explain.
    I'mma just put this out there... http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/
    bra-holster.jpeg
    iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    There are things the media/news has fearmongered us into thinking are "dangerous" and then there is reality. Is anyone REALLY looking at your public workouts to stalk you? Not likely. Better question yet is has that EVER happened to anyone? And if so, was it a jilted ex (who would find you anyway) or a stranger? Now not wearing both earbuds while jogging THAT is sound advice. When I see anyone (young women especially) walking around completely unaware of their situation with both earbuds in and/or playing with their smartphones I know for criminals that person is a soft target. For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like the Ruger lcp. As far as leaving your drinks unattended..wow that is a whole new level of stupid. Best advice for women...if you see a group of sketchy guys or even one..LOOK at him. Don't stare. Just make eye contact briefly. Just keep your head up and let them know you know they are there. These guys are looking for easy prey that looks down or away or isnt paying attention.

Just because a woman is playing with their iphone or have both earbuds in their ears doesn't mean that they aren't aware of their surroundings. When the weather is nice, I like to go to a linear park a few minutes away from work. I pay attention to ev.er.y.one. Particularly any males that can over-power me.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I can't speak for cyclists in the US but in the UK you can't afford not to pay attention or you're dead. Driver's hatred for cyclists is quite something here.

And on off-road shared cycle paths hazards range from toddlers to off lead dogs to people who when you shout "passing on your right" don't have the faintest clue where "right" is...

Nope, cyclists face the same dangers here... in my city we have a group of people very adament on keeping cyclists off the roads and keeping cars as the dominate means of travel.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    For ANY woman who runs alone in I would strongly suggest taking a carry course and buying a little .380. They come in 9 oz lightweight versions like my ruger lcp.

Wait....Is that a real question? It's a gun. You put it in a holster. Then you run. Duh...:noway: It's no worse than the people who run with those little belts full of water bottles.

Have you ever had a gun on a holster attached to your hip? I have and it's not very comfortable to walk with. I can't imagine what it's like to run with that thing let alone the bruise I'd have from it rubbing and banging. Also it's pretty heavy so there's the whole pants falling down issue to contend with as well.

bra-holster.jpeg

Now lets get a sports bra edition and we would be set. :drinker:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    YES, BE VERY VERY AFRAID OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY! EVERY PERSON IN THE WORLD IS OUT TO RAPE, ROB AND MURDER YOU. PANIC, PANIC RIGHT NOW!!! THEY ARE PROBABLY USING YOUR POSTS TO TRACK YOUR IP ADDRESS AND ABDUCT YOU FROM YOUR HOME IN THE NEXT 5 MINUTES? WHY AREN'T YOU IN HIDING? TAKING REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS ISN'T ENOUGH IN THIS CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN. YOU BETTER BE PARANOID ALL THE TIME OR YOU GONNA DIE. EVEN THE CATERPILLARS ARE TRYING TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN!

On average, one in six women will be sexually assaulted in their life time. And we're taught that if we do, it's our fault for not being vigilant enough. It's not a ****ing joke.

care to break out what percentage of the 1 in 6 stat is from women assaulted by complete strangers while running in the park?

on second thought, that's too specific. can we just take out the domestic cases, the date rape cases, and the cases where the assailant was a friend or family member? what does the number become if we do that?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    EVEN THE CATERPILLARS ARE TRYING TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN!

Bwahahahaha!!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    YES, BE VERY VERY AFRAID OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY! EVERY PERSON IN THE WORLD IS OUT TO RAPE, ROB AND MURDER YOU. PANIC, PANIC RIGHT NOW!!! THEY ARE PROBABLY USING YOUR POSTS TO TRACK YOUR IP ADDRESS AND ABDUCT YOU FROM YOUR HOME IN THE NEXT 5 MINUTES? WHY AREN'T YOU IN HIDING? TAKING REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS ISN'T ENOUGH IN THIS CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN. YOU BETTER BE PARANOID ALL THE TIME OR YOU GONNA DIE. EVEN THE CATERPILLARS ARE TRYING TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN!

On average, one in six women will be sexually assaulted in their life time. And we're taught that if we do, it's our fault for not being vigilant enough. It's not a ****ing joke.

care to break out what percentage of the 1 in 6 stat is from women assaulted by complete strangers while running in the park?

on second thought, that's too specific. can we just take out the domestic cases, the date rape cases, and the cases where the assailant was a friend or family member? what does the number become if we do that?

UK stats -

Around 90 per cent of victims of the most serious sexual offences of rape or sexual assault by penetration in the previous year knew the perpetrator, compared with less than half for other sexual offences.

source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england-and-wales
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I probably watch too much Criminal Minds, but it could happen.

Me too! But seriously, these are all really good points. I also think it's smart to run with only one earbud in when it's early in the AM or late at night. Helps me be aware of my surroundings.
    i went to a park to play basketball, there are these two drunk guys who likes to shoot hoops. they are friendly but they might be into something, nonetheless, we had a great time shooting hoops with them. while i do decline when they offer a drink.
    my point is, there are bad things around us but it's good to manage these and look into a good stuff rather than over react to the bad ones.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm implying that when given a choice, an assailant will generally pick a more appealing target over a lesser one. Which is why 80% of rape victims are women under 30. I don't have stats specifically on joggers in pink, tight-fitting shorts vs. camo sweatpants.. but like the saying goes, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

I don't think you really understand how sexual assailants target their victims. again, rape (as is being described in this thread) is largely a crime of opportunity. if the perpetrator has an opportunity he will take it, regardless of whether the victim is wearing sweatpants or yoga pants.

Opportunity no doubt plays a part, but arousal initiates the drive. Which is why elderly women are a lower risk demographic for rape, even though they're an easier opportunity -- the appeal is less.

A woman running in camo tactical pants is probably perceived as a harder opportunity than one in tight shorts, because not only does she look harder to control, you can't tell if she's packing a weapon like you can with tight shorts. So ugly, masculine clothes can act as a deterrant. Bonus points for wearing a grey wig. :bigsmile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ****SPOLIER ALERT****

This weeks criminal minds had the Serial Killer selecting people from a library

What I take from this is that I should stay out of library's and only go to pubs. :laugh: :noway: :laugh:
  • DavPul
    Options
    READING IS DANGEROUS!!!! AVOID LIBRARIES!!!

*panics and hides*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

bra-holster.jpeg

You'll shoot your boob out kid....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Actually, I love Criminal Minds but my wife can't watch it...she does get ultra paranoid about everything when she watches that show.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I feel like people are taking suggestions of caution and blowing them way out of proportion to seem like crazy paranoia...no one is suggesting anyone has to "run and hide" or be afraid of everything, or cower in their houses, and yes, it's not a huge probability that anyone currently sharing in this thread is going to be attacked by a stranger while exercising. But the thing is, even if the statistic is only like one in a thousand women being attacked that way, the fact is SOMEONE has to be that one. And while it's not healthy to live in fear and yes we all have to go about our lives assuming nothing terrible is going to happen to us, but I really don't get the outright mocking of the idea that caution is a good idea.

Even if you don't know anyone it has happened to, and it hasn't happened to you, it's happened to someone, and no one ever thinks they're going to be that person until it happens. Why not lower the possibility by taking precautions that don't impact your quality of life, like being aware of your surroundings and not giving potential assailants unnecessary opportunities to take advantage of the situation?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ...but I really don't get the outright mocking of the idea that caution is a good idea

There is a question of proportionality. Situational awareness and reasonable avoidance isn't an issue. The suggestion that taking self defence classes and running tooled up is an appropriate response to a miniscule risk is disproportionate.

There have been a few observations on the use, and misuse, of statistics which demonstrate that there is a very real misunderstanding of the scale of the risk, particularly given the fairly outlandish scenario initially presented.

fwiw the main reason I don't leave my kit when I'm training at the park is down to the risk of theft.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ...but I really don't get the outright mocking of the idea that caution is a good idea

There is a question of proportionality. Situational awareness and reasonable avoidance isn't an issue. The suggestion that taking self defence classes and running tooled up is an appropriate response to a miniscule risk is disproportionate.

There have been a few observations on the use, and misuse, of statistics which demonstrate that there is a very real misunderstanding of the scale of the risk, particularly given the fairly outlandish scenario initially presented.

fwiw the main reason I don't leave my kit when I'm training at the park is down to the risk of theft.

your argument is not logical.

lots of people study calculus in high school and never use it again for the rest of their lives. but if they have to, they will still retain a passing familiarity with it.

why is that different than self-defense training?

even if you never have to use it, you're better off (and safer) knowing it. it's not an issue of "disproportionality" so much as an issue of being prepared if you ever find yourself in that situation.

i wouldn't take a gun out with me unless i felt i needed it for protection against dangerous animals. i have never seen a bear here in the wild in 10+ years here, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. they are. if i were to go hiking alone back into the Rockies, i would take one just in case. the fact that i have yet to see a bear thus far has no effect on the level of my future risk. they are unrelated issues.
  • DavPul
    Options

lots of people study calculus in high school and never use it again for the rest of their lives. but if they have to, they will still retain a passing familiarity with it.

even if you never have to use it, you're better off (and safer) knowing it. it's not an issue of "disproportionality" so much as an issue of being prepared if you ever find yourself in that situation.

i wouldn't take a gun out with me unless i felt i needed it for protection against dangerous animals. i have never seen a bear here in the wild in 10+ years here, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. they are. if i were to go hiking alone back into the Rockies, i would take one just in case. the fact that i have yet to see a bear thus far has no effect on the level of my future risk. they are unrelated issues.

do you even OP?

She was detailing a scenario where a serial killer drugged a bunch of water bottles, waited in the weeds for unsuspecting females to return, then raped and killed them after the drugs took effect. And then this mystical serial killer dragged the bodies into the woods and dumped them.

There are dangerous things that happen in the world but unless you live inside a James Patterson novel there are a million things to worry about before you get to this scenario.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

do you even OP?

She was detailing a scenario where a serial killer drugged a bunch of water bottles, waited in the weeds for unsuspecting females to return, then raped and killed them after the drugs took effect. And then this mystical serial killer dragged the bodies into the woods and dumped them.

There are dangerous things that happen in the world but unless you live inside a James Patterson novel there are a million things to worry about before you get to this scenario.

i was responding to the guy who explained that he was mocking the idea of being prepared because it was not proportional to the miniscule risk somebody might face. that's the argument that i said was not logical.

how many people have ever been involved in head-on accidents? ...and yet car manufacturers are required to put airbags in all new cars. by his argument, that would be a disproportionate response to the minimal risk of ever being in a head-on accident.

that's the sort of thinking i was disagreeing with. he was mocking the need for people to be cautious. i wouldn't mock that. now going for a run in full body armor while toting a rocket launcher? unless you live in Syria or Detroit, that's probably overkill.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

A point I made upthread was around maintaining currency, routine self defence takes a couple of hours a week to retain confidence. That's before you get to the idea of a personal weapon. When I used to shoot practical pistol and combat rifle competitively it took a lot of time, and a lot of lead, to sustain the skillset to an adequate level.

I'd observe that was competitive, when I've had to carry in an operational environment, where there was a very credible threat, it still took a lot of time, and quite realistic training.