WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump for now.
    Barbie thank you as always for keeping this thread going…hope you are feeling better

this month promises to be as hectic as ever with loads of travel. I haven't been setting goals because I'm feeling so much stress and feel that will only pile on. I am doing my best to eat well and exercise to maintain so I guess I've succeeded in that.

I hope work settles down a bit so I have more time for this thread. I don't even have time to lurk!

I hope all of you are well

Jodios in cold N. Il
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    For some reason it surprised me tht we are already in a new month. October went by so fast!
    Sylvia - sorry to hear of your heart issues. I really can't advise you but we live in a small town about 90 miles from major medical centers and we always go there for anything that isn't routine. Even my internist said we should go to Dallas for procedures.
    This is the month to be Thankful and I am so thankful for all of you. You are in my thoughts as I make my way through life.
    Had a great day golfing today. Started off cold (46) and ended up at 75. We had a great time and got lots of exercise.
    Congrats to all the losers and hang in there to the ones who are struggling (like me).
    Barbie - hope you're getting better. I had to use a walker for about three days as I couldn't walk at all. Take it easy and get well.
    Robin - your babies are adorable!
    Sue in TX
    November goals:
    Be thankful everyday
    Do a RAK each day
    Be good to myself.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Well, apparently my heart stress test did not go as well as I thought. They called to tell me that it showed part of my heart is not getting enough oxygen and blood flow. That could mean a new blockage or that my stent is closed up. I'm just beside myself. I have worked so hard and been so good. They want to do another heart cath next Tuesday. My husband thinks I should go up to Kansas City to KU Med Center. I just don't know what to do. Hubby and I will talk about it tonight and try to decide. I just want to cry a bucket of tears. I don't want to be 100 miles from home, but the quality of care may be better there. I did not enjoy that whole procedure the last time. They said if the first stent is closed up they don't remove it, they just stent over it. Not sure if that sounds right.

Have any of you been through this? Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening.

Sylvia

Hello,Sylvia....... Don't you just hate news like that.It's scary & leaves us with deep down worry. I had the heart cath in March at local hospital.Didn't get the stent,but do have 2 blockages,one worse than the other.Guess they don't do much till it's blocked near 75%. But what do I know? Only what they tell me.

We had just moved here to be near our DD & family. The hospital is less than a mile away & known as a good heart hospital,so that worked out.
    Still,it was a complete shock,an emergency,so we were all scared silly.

Had to stay 2 days after the heart cath test. Can you look up the hosp on line? Do you have a nurse you could ask for advice? Is there any Dr you could call?
    Hope you will be at peace once your decision is made. Pat C
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Last night we made spatzel for dinner for the first time. These are German noodles. DH loved it, and I liked it. Boy, was it a lot of work to get the spatzel dough pushed through the colander and into the boiling water. I ended up on a stool. Next time, I’m starting on a stool. DH had this dish at a German restaurant last week and wanted to try it at home so he found a recipe. I come from a German family, but this was my very first spatzel, and very first time making noodles of any kind from scratch. If anyone has recommendations for spatzel making tools, I’d love to hear about them. :love:

Sylvia: I am so sorry you’re having heart problems. You are in my prayers. I vote for the hospital with the best record of good patient care and positive results. Of course, I’m not the one who is affected. My dad went to Portland for heart surgery because the best surgeon and hospital were there, and that involved a long drive for my parents. His surgery was successful and he had many more years with good quality of life. Back then stents had not been invented. I think they are wonderfully helpful with much less trauma than the open-heart surgery Dad went through. Best luck.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: We’ll be here to cheer you on.:flowerforyou:

Jb: It is good to see you posting again. You were missed.:flowerforyou:

JaquelineG: Welcome. This is a great group of women. Let us know where you’re from. Good luck with your goals.:flowerforyou:

Molly fro WV: Enjoy Colorado. Do I remember correctly that you’re in the Denver area? Is the other person in the picture your daughter?:huh:

Kerry from Saskatchewan: Welcome! I hope you’ll stop by often so we can get to know you and vice versa. :flowerforyou:

Robin: Your granddaughters are beautiful and seem full of personality.:flowerforyou:

Jodios: I’m sending you warm thoughts. Western Oregon isn’t a hot spot, but we’re not in the icebox, either. Stay warm.

Sue in TX: It didn’t occur to me to add thankful to my goals. What a lovely idea.:heart::flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Sylvia~ sending you love and blessings, and here I am feeling sorry for myself because I overate:embarassed:
    you will make the correct decision im sure...
    not feeling so hot now.. so I will say goodnight:yawn:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce, it depends on how things go. I was supposed to go home that afternoon the first time, but wound up staying more than two days. I had some bleeding they were worried about at the insertion site. I stayed in ICU the whole time. I hope this time will go better. Our main worry is that if something goes wrong during the procedure they don't have the facilities to do the emergency heart surgery here, so I would have to be transferred to a bigger hospital anyway. KU Med Center has all that.

We are thinking of getting a second opinion.

Sylvia
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- good luck with the cardiac cath. I had one a few years back and I remember everything they did to me was under strict control. I know your thought of going to Kansas U. Med center is probably wise. Lots of available care and experienced staff...that's what I look for.
    Kerry- welcome. Was wondering what the Whole 30 plan is?
    Barbie- Hope you're mending well. Thank you for continuing this wonderful site. It is a great motivator and I really enjoy reading the myriad of experiences the ladies of this site share. They are all so wise. It reminds me that we are not alone and someone on this site has the answer!
    I did go to the gym with dad and did weights and the reclined bicycle. I had gone mall walking this morning so I got many steps in today which pleased me.
    The Scale disappointment today was I was UP THREE POUNDS!!! Bummer. Talked it over with my Dad bc he is always curious about my progress, he said it was probably the cookies that were sent over for his birthday. I did eat a few the other day...and I ate cashews. Yep. Sodium. Arghhh. I also ate all day yesterday but I was at my 1200 kcal limit. Hmmm.
    So today it was back to clean eating. Seeds and Nuts, coconut milk, salmon, spinach. apple for snack. Salmon, brussel sprouts, and cashews (oops) Under 1200. I am finished eating for today.
    Hope everyone is staying the course!
    Susan
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:happy: Sue in SD
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Checking in with October results: goal was to do 3 days of activity per week with 30 minutes or more. I have 14 days with 30 minutes or more. So for November I am going to go for 3 days of activity with 50 minutes or more which for November I am looking for 12 days for the 4 weeks. With the holidays coming up I really hope to exceed that goal to make-up for my sometimes weak willpower.:wink:

Today I am preparing in the crockpot Pasta Fagioli soup. I hope it is tasty. I am using everything low sodium that I could find. According to the MFP recipe builder 1 C is just under 200 calories which agrees with Olive Garden so I'm on track there. I like the soup but it's my husband that loves it so I should be able to stay with 1 C. Trying recipes to take to Denver with us when we go in March for the little bundle of joy Miss Kennedy.

First day of November in Plano was gorgeous! A little windy in the morning; better as the day went on. Sure glad it's FRIDAY :bigsmile:

@Barbie good to hear you doing okay with your fall; take it easy on the steps and enjoy the season.

~Blessings to all~

Teral in Plano
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi,all,

Teral........great pic!

Have to say I've been enjoying all these baby pictures, thanks everybody.

Finished up scrubbing the lower floor of the house vinyl siding; this is something I never would have attempted last year this time. It does look nice.

Got one more set of pies to make yet---the sweet potato..........as it turns out, I am not transporting the cinnamon buns; the woman who bakes them says she wants to see our ride as they have horses and are thinking about doing the next.

Pies, then an early bed for me.
    Take care all!
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am so happy to see so many posts on this new thread. It means that I won’t be walking this path by myself in November. Today I taught half the line dance class and I was a bit apprehensive after my fall on Tuesday but it went well and when the class was over someone came up to me and said it looked like I was completely recovered----I wasn’t but the excitement of teaching or something kept me moving and not uncomfortable. I came home and let Jake walk the dogs, fixed a very sensible lunch (4 oz of baked chicken breast with steamed cauliflower and broccoli) and then lay down with the ice pack. Without walking the dogs for three to four hours a day, I have to be extra careful with calories. I’d gotten very spoiled with all the exercise calories.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, how great to see you posting on this thread. I hope your new pedometer works great. It will be interesting to see if the different number of calories logged by the pedometer makes a difference.

:flowerforyou: Katla, a trick that helped me to increase my water intake was to require myself to drink a glass of water before logging onto MFP….about the family relic….just put on your big girl pants, tell the truth in as few words as possible, and then it will be over.

:bigsmile: Eileen, your new landscaping sounds awesome.

:flowerforyou: Susan, congrats on no candy and fitting into size 8….the scale in not always your friend…..don’t let a single reading upset you….watch for trends over several days and resolve to eat better and drink more water.

:bigsmile: Joyce, thank you for the kind words. When I found this thread a few years ago, someone else had started it and there were many women posting who were so encouraging to me. It’s important to me now to pass on to others what they passed on to me. And along with all of that, you are like family to me and I’d miss you if I didn’t check in every day.

:bigsmile: Christchild, I love the spiritual and kind tone of your goals.

:flowerforyou: Pat C., about your red measuring cup----if it works, don’t fix it.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I am in awe of your 30 pushups---do you do them all as one set or in groups of 10?

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, what fun that Bruno enjoyed Halloween. We had a ton of candy at line dance this morning because so many people brought their leftovers.

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, I read something today that said that courage is saying, “I’ll start again tomorrow” You can do it.

:flowerforyou: Mousemom, take this one day at a time and don’t lose sight of your goal and you’ll be in those size 6 jeans before you realize.

:brokenheart: Jb, sorry about the oral surgery…..I agree about staying away from potent pain meds…..good for you

:flowerforyou: Liz, congrats on your new hair cut………just keep putting one foot in front of the other and add a bit of exercise every day.

:flowerforyou: Kerry, welcome….I hope you’ll come back every day for the encouragement to meet your goals.

:flowerforyou: Robin, your granddaughters are precious….what a great photo

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, my husband has had several stents…..all the work was done at a hospital several hours from home and I took him there and picked him up but he stayed by himself and found that the medical staff was very caring and helpful……best wishes to you.

:flowerforyou: Drkatiebug, I don’t know about your program, but four years ago I gave up coffee, carbonated drinks, sweets, and almost everything made with white flour and it made a huge difference in my life. That, coupled with spiritual practices that I observe on a daily basis have sent my life in a good direction. I wish the same for you.

:flowerforyou: Jacqueling, keep us posted about the break up with BF….we’ll support you all the way.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, never, never, never give up

:flowerforyou: Jodios, I’m always happy to see you when you post.

:flowerforyou: Sue in TX, being where it’s warm enough for golf is always something to be thankful for.

:flowerforyou: Teral, your soup sounds delicious

:flowerforyou: JaneMartin, thanks for always being so supportive

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 7,000 steps today---better than yesterday

October Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *strength training three days a week (twice a week)
    *change some of my strength training routine (made several significant changes)
    *don’t take things personally (really have to work at this but it’s worth the effort)
    *practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week (once a week)
    * say “No” to candy (100%)

November Resolutions
    *gradually return to dog walking as my back heals
    *practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week
    *gradually return to strength training as my back heals
    *act the way I want to feel
  • Lori19509
    Lori19509 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I been doing quite well eating and exercise but today. I'm messedup tired. I actualy went to the gym today did yoga light and 25.05 minutes on a rowing machine. My eating is crazily out of control.
  • Lori19509
    Lori19509 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    4,753 steps today quite lower than yesterday
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    katla - if the candy isn't open, return it to the store, that's what I'm doing tomorrow. Or else say hello to the soup kitchen!

yanniejannie - now why didn't I think of cutting off the corner of a zip lock bag? Here I was, wrangling with a baby food spoon. My FIL was a ham operator. I still recall his call letters (is that what it's called?) W2STS. I think at first you have 2 letters, a number, and then 3 letters. But after you've been an operator for a certain period of time, you get to drop one letter. He was an operator for over 50 years.

susan - yea getting into the size 8's! I especially like you goals of helping others joyfully and accepting defeat.

Joyce - sometimes people need to hear from another that they look awful. She probably should have stayed home but didn't think she looked that bad. Next time she might think twice when she feels bad. I don't think you did anything real bad. Colonoscopy's aren't any fun, but I'm glad you got yours scheduled.

christchild - I'm so sorry you had so much to deal with this month. I'm so glad you are looking on the bright side. I do hope you make your visits here more frequent

tazgirl - I must have had a pastry bag deep in my subsconscious, because I was trying to use this decorator thing from Pampered Chef, but evidentally the cheese is too thick. The idea is that you can squeeze it and there are tips you put in so things like potatoes come out decorative. Same idea as a pastry bag, only I never thought of useing one!!! Now how dumb can someone be??????

DeeDee - we actually worked on bringing in the Halloween decorations today. Yea for you losing!!!

Sylvia - do you buy special bags, how do you go about making them up? What kind of bags do you use? That probably wouldn't be a bad idea for us to do. Vince is always complaining that I give too much candy to the kids. I give a handful (that is, except if the kid is a cute little kid, then they get a BIG handful, sometimes two). Last night he was saying that I'm giving away too much candy, that we're going to run out. So what am I doing tomorrow? returning bags of unopened candy! Happy birthday to your hubby. Would he like tickets to a sporting event (hockey, football, etc)? So sorry the heart stress test didn't go that well. I'm sure someone on here can help you out, we have a few cardiac nurses who know much more than I do. Good luck on the cardiac cath

mousemom - how I wish we had Thanksgiving like you Canadians do! To have it so close to christmas makes it so rushed. I'd like to really enjoy the holiday.

jb - your neice looks so....neat. I'm truly impressed. So sorry about the oral surgery. Greek yogurt is soft, too. And applesauce for dessert. Soups work, when I had oral surgery I put some oatmeal into the soup to make it more filling.

Kerry - welcome! Good thoughts for you to heal real soon.

Robin - what adorable girls! Thanks for posting

grandmalle - I love the greek yogurt cream cheese. WalMart had it but discontinued it, fortunately Lowes foods started carrying it.

sue in TX - what's RAK?

Well, I WAS going to take this bosu class, but the lady I usually see at the Y called to say she wasn't going to be there, so to save time I went to the Y near me and did 1 hr of HIIT on the elliptical (30 sec sprint, 1 min recovery). Hadn't done that in a while. Then I went and did a bit of food shopping, stopped at the vet on my way to mahjongg, maj'd once and then bought Vince 2 Dunkin Donuts (he likes them, doesn't interest me in the least), stopped at the Salvation Army but they don't have any inflatables out yet, then went to Aldi, then home. Unpacked everything and then helped Vince bring in the Halloween decorations. He'd already had the inflatables in the garage to dry out. We had the neighborhood little kids "helping" us....lol Had dinner, finished stuffing the manicotti for tomorrow night, made these pizza logs for tomorrow night. I need to make the salads and bake the garlic bread. Sneaky me will make the salads in individual dishes but I'll measure out my salad so I can log it.

Tomorrow is yoga then I'll stop on the way home to return the candy and get some bleach for the pool.

Yikes - look at the time!

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Michele, RAK stands for Random Act of Kindness. Like taking someone's grocery cart so they don't have to walk to the storage place. It just makes you feel good to help someone out as you well know because you're the queen of helping people.
    Sue in TX
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele - I bought cute little plastic bags at Walmart. There are 15 in a package, I bought 3 packages but only used 2, so I had 30 little bags. One set was black with colored bats and the other was lime green with a skeleton. I like to give lots of candy too. In each bag I put three fun sized candy bars, five rolls of Smartees, 15 tiny tootsie rolls, a pencil, an eraser and two balloons - one black and one orange, then tied them shut with a twist tie put through a black spider ring. They were pretty cute, and I thought they would be unique, but I saw inside one girls treat bag that she already had a bag just like mine. Poo. I also had extra candy in a bowl by the door in case I ran out of the little bags, but I didn't. And no, hubby is not a lover of any sport. He tolerates my watching baseball, but he doesn't like it. I think I will clean out his side of the garage tomorrow so he can get his car inside this winter, and that will be his gift. It's mostly junk leftover from our remodel, but some of it is my junk.

I was feeling so sorry for myself tonight that I blew right past my 1200 limit. We went to Cracker Barrel and I had TWO pieces of grilled sourdough bread along with me grilled chicken salad, and then we went for ice cream! Total of 1440 calories. Tomorrow I will start over with a new day. But my goodness, that bread was good.

I'm off to bed. Goodnight John Boy.

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, when both our parents were alive and at a time when all of us kids were t home, probably a holiday, they sat us all down and we talked about all of their furniture and heirlooms and we decided as a family what we wanted. As our own children got older we did change that some but it was mutual between us all. I have asked both of my daughters the same thing while they were here at the same time. So when we die and the home becomes theirs, there will be no hard feelings about anything. Both know what the other is getting. If they want to trade, buy or whatever then it is between them at time. As our lives change, our needs change. So we have to be open for different things. The things that I wanted of Mom and Dads 15 years ago was different 2 years ago when Mom died. Also when Mom moved into the retirement home she couldn't take everything with her and some of the things that was in the will for us was given to us a lot earlier than expected. I think it became more precious to us because of that. Mom was able to visit our home and see some of her precious family things in her childrens home. But our family has a unique family love and respect for each other that I wish others could experience.

Joyce, Indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tomorrow will be my first "Yoga therapeutic" at 10 AM. I actually still had a credit sitting at the rec center. So this is good news. The class will be accommodated to people (like me) who have range of motion issues, or pain or whatever. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks to those who commented on how I finally have a diagnosis of my back problems after more than a year. Arthritis I am familiar with already in my hands. :drinker: Katla. Yes, I have exercises to do at home from dear doctor; but home exercises really do not work for me, darned. I work full-time and when I get home, frankly, I forget or am too tired. So classes, or something to get me going, gets me going, if you know what I mean.

I like RAK... Random Acts of Kindness. It is my daily habit.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to mark my place.:flowerforyou: