1800 calories in candy/ice cream - Why not?

Options

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No reason not to...you have a huge calorie allotment per day, so what the heck. as long as there is plenty of other fruit, veg and protien in your week, go for it!

I, on the other hand, only get 1,400 a day (big tyroid problem and insulin resistant) so eating suger isn't on my plan...that doesn't mean I won't waste a few calories on a potato chip or a Buffalo wing - :) YUM for salt and oil!!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    See, I can kind of get irritation at people who insist that you must "eat clean" to be successful at health and life, and persons who eat processed foods of any form are going to die painful deaths from stupidity and chocolate cake. I get it, it's annoying...rage on.

I don't understand needlessly looking for an argument. That's what this is. Why? Isn't eating copious amounts of ice cream and stealing candy from children enough of a win already?

The "clean eaters" need to justify their choices somehow. Depriving yourself of delicious ice cream and candy while watching other people eat it and succeed in spades can make you a little envious.

^^^ Yep - What they both said - I finally have jumped to the "dark side" and I plan my days around my treats: Pizza, Ice Cream, Pop Tarts - It is all good! :smile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Even for non-diabetics blood sugars over 140 can cause damage.

In the absence of diabetes the pancreas will produce more than enough insulin to counter any effects of an elevated blood glucose. If you are not insulin resistant than that glucose will have uptake into the cells through active facilitated transport and used as energy. Excess energy will be converted to triglycerides and stored in the adipose tissue.

I get fuzzy on the whole ATP to storage thing though.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    See, I can kind of get irritation at people who insist that you must "eat clean" to be successful at health and life, and persons who eat processed foods of any form are going to die painful deaths from stupidity and chocolate cake. I get it, it's annoying...rage on.

I don't understand needlessly looking for an argument. That's what this is. Why? Isn't eating copious amounts of ice cream and stealing candy from children enough of a win already?

Remember, you're talking about individuals that can amuse themselves with endless gifs of kittens.
    There are hundreds of members reading these threads who see these successful people who have NOT deprived themselves and it gives them hope and assures them that diet flexibility is a strategy that works. That is more than enough reason, in and of itself.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sigh
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My only issue is: it could have been alcohol and you ate candy instead. Tsk.

I guess that would have been a lot of alcohol though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Even for non-diabetics blood sugars over 140 can cause damage.

I missed the post where OP told us what his blood sugar concentration was. How high did it go?

Well...I'm not diabetic so I'm guessing <140. Any higher would indicate diabetus.

FYI, it's normal for blood sugar to spike that high, and higher, after eating.

What's bad is when your blood glucose is that high while fasting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Remember, you're talking about individuals that can amuse themselves with endless gifs of kittens.
    There are hundreds of members reading these threads who see these successful people who have NOT deprived themselves and it gives them hope and assures them that diet flexibility is a strategy that works. That is more than enough reason, in and of itself.

Perosnally, I wouldn't see inspiration as a good reason to needlessly look or argument.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    *sigh* I knew I shouldn't have posted this since I guess we can only deal with extremes here...

Well. no. The reason you shouldn't have posted it was because you were talking about the OPs blood sugar level when you have no idea what it is.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Perosnally, I wouldn't see inspiration as a good reason to needlessly look or argument.
    If you have a good argument and his ticker proves he does, why not?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with argument. Would it have been better if I called it a discussion? The word argument doesn't imply venomously attacking and yelling and screaming. It merely implies an effort to persuade persons of a different view towards your own.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Today? Or every day?
  • bcattoes
    Options

There's nothing wrong with argument. Would it have been better if I called it a discussion? The word argument doesn't imply venomously attacking and yelling and screaming. It merely implies an effort to persuade persons of a different view towards your own.

Sicne you asked, I think it would have been better if you'd just asked for opinions on your diary, if that's what you wanted. The language seems pretty confrontational for the start of a 'discussion'.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Personal preference I guess.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options

If you're honestly asking, I feel that persons who are put in a position where they have to defend their stance are less likely to drop it or listen to alternative reason, as a matter of course. If you are trying to inspire persons who are doing what you feel is the wrong (or more difficult/less sensible/less scientifically sound) thing, luring them into an argument will most likely make them feel that YOU think they are stupid. This is not a good start in inspiring those people. Not at all.

A thread like this will only be useful for those who are already on the IIFYM road to success, and want confirmation that they are doing the right thing. If that's the purpose then fine. But I think that could have been accomplished in a different way.

(I'm personally invested because I believe IIFYM is best. I see people engaging in extreme weight-loss choices that I feel will hurt them later down the road and discourage them from investing in their health. I think that threads like these are likely to be a turn-off to those people, especially if they feel that they are being attacked for no reason. Downside for me because I want everyone to be as healthy and HAPPY* as possible.)

ETA: Ice cream and stolen candy make everyone who is a reasonable human happy and I honestly believe that people should be able to eat them as long as it works, no matter how fat or slim you are.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

If you're honestly asking, I feel that persons who are put in a position where they have to defend their stance are less likely to drop it or listen to alternative reason, as a matter of course. If you are trying to inspire persons who are doing what you feel is the wrong (or more difficult/less sensible/less scientifically sound) thing, luring them into an argument will most likely make them feel that YOU think they are stupid. This is not a good start in inspiring those people. Not at all.

A thread like this will only be useful for those who are already on the IIFYM road to success, and want confirmation that they are doing the right thing. If that's the purpose then fine. But I think that could have been accomplished in a different way.

(I'm personally invested because I believe IIFYM is best. I see people engaging in extreme weight-loss choices that I feel will hurt them later down the road and discourage them from investing in their health. I think that threads like these are likely to be a turn-off to those people, especially if they feel that they are being attacked for no reason. Downside for me because I want everyone to be as healthy and HAPPY as possible.)

I disagree. It's arguments, spirited and at times mean arguments, on these very boards that opened my mind and made me switch my stance. These discussions aren't just for people following iifym, they're also for lurkers who don't realize that losing weight doesn't have to be an exercise in self punishment and obsession. People set in their ways who respond to these thread won't change and the arguments are generally not for them, it's for the people who don't post.

And it works. I'm proof of that, dozens of people on my FL are proof of that, every person who has every PM'd me asking if I really eat ice cream nightly is proof.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

And yet here you are, needlessly looking for an argument.
  • jonnythan
    Options

(I'm personally invested because I believe IIFYM is best. I see people engaging in extreme weight-loss choices that I feel will hurt them later down the road and discourage them from investing in their health. I think that threads like these are likely to be a turn-off to those people, especially if they feel that they are being attacked for no reason. Downside for me because I want everyone to be as healthy and HAPPY* as possible.)

ETA: Ice cream and stolen candy make everyone who is a reasonable human happy and I honestly believe that people should be able to eat them as long as it works, no matter how fat or slim you are.

The real target of these arguments, IMO, is not the clean eaters or "sugar is bad" fools.

It's the dozens of other people reading who are on the fence, or just don't even know enough to have an opinion.

Catchy thread titles that pull them in and the subsequent arguments are how a lot of these people learn and choose or alter their paths.

For example, read this PM I received last week:
    You dont know me but I wanted to say thank you for helping me along on my weight loss journey. Even though we have never interacted, besides my trainer, you were probably the next most important person to help me out.

I had just found MFP in April of this year. I was adjusting to eating more food based on what MFP was telling me but my mind was having a hard time with dieting and eating more food. I also was finding it hard to determine my activity level and thus know what my calorie burn was.

In the beginning of May you posted (or I had just seen it then) a thread talking about how you had lost weight by eating what you wanted and having the fitbit help you figure out your cal expenditure along with exercise. I immediately noticed this thread and am so happy that you posted it. I did a bit of research but mainly got in the car and drove straight to Best Buy. I picked up the One and have not looked back since.

I started MFP at 196 lbs and when I got the One I was 193.
    Its been 5.5 months with the One and I am 164.5. I have about 10-15 lbs to reach my goal and expect to have this in the bag in less than 3 months.

Just like you, I have done this by eating fast food, ice cream, cookies and other yummy foods that I enjoy. I do work out hard with my trainer and on my own but I know that I would not have gotten this far if I did not get to enjoy the foods I love while losing weight. I also know that without the fitbit, I would never know how much I can or cannot eat in a day. I wear it everyday and everywhere I go. If it breaks, i will get another because it works that well.

Even though people sometimes give you crap for promoting your plan here on MFP, dont stop. It helped me and I am sure it will help others as well. The more people hear from people like you (and eventually me), the more they will realize you dont have to suffer to lose weight. And the type of food you eat is not as important as eating food period.

So, thank you so much for posting your story and doing it when I needed to see it most. Without you, I dont know where I would be in this journey.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    2 cups of Pumpkin ice cream is only 360 cals? I need to hunt that stuff down tonight.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Did someone give you a hard time? I don't think anyone that has lost 150+ pounds needs anymore advice from anyone. I think you know what you're doing, and I, personally, am not worthy to be in your presence. I bow to your weight loss expertise. This is for life, you've got to live it, and that doesn't mean stopping yourself from having a special treat on occasion.