I don't see why some people find holidays so difficult.

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    People hype up holidays like they are the apocalypse for diets. Why not just...make sure you don't binge eat on a holiday. It's not like you have to. It's not that complicated. I think even if you go to somebody's house and they serve you a three-course meal, it's not hard to not binge. And if you do feel obligated to eat their high-calorie dessert, it doesn't matter that much if you're overboard by five hundred calories for one day.

If you're spending a week or two visiting somebody else's house, you could explain that you are limiting your food intake and you shouldn't have much trouble if they are nice people.

Seriously. Enough. About. The holidays. Or is there somebody who insists that holidays like thanksgiving or christmas really are the harbingers of ham?
    Congratulations on your empathy and deep understanding of disordered eating. :flowerforyou:
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Holidays are just like any other day as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who uses the excuse to binge or whatever just cause it's a holiday has no willpower or self control at all.

Snarky "moral" superiority like this has no place in a forum designed to help people.

Holidays are rife with family time which often creates massive amounts of stress for people; even if they *want* to stay on track, it can be very difficult. Add some booze in the mix, a lack of food scale, and piles of carb-intensive Xmas baking, and you could just have a very volatile situation. So, unless all the naysayers know *everyone* else's background, you can just keep the superiority bullsh*t in your own camp.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    *deleted. One should not really prod one's odd little hangers on*
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Good for you and your will power! You will have great success.

Unfortuately, many of us have difficulty resisting the temptation and eating sensibly and avoiding calorie laden foods that are abundant and traditional at these holidays that are centered around food and eating. We are learning to make better choices and some of us are even preparing healthier foods.

If you dislike the topics about these subjects, why not skip reading them? Easy to do. It may help some people to read these topics and to know that it is a concern for many of us.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I got

'Let's stop using holidays as an excuse for our disordered eating that ultimately makes us unhappy'.

or

'Let's take a different view towards holiday feasting as a society that no longer needs to feast during winters, so that we don't make it difficult and emotionally upsetting for those that want to lose weight.'

Yup, that's pretty much what I read. Some people do hop from one holiday feast to the next.... "oooh but it's Thanksgiving / Halloween / Christmas / Valentines / Easter / summer holidays / my birthday...."
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Unfortuately, many of us have difficulty resisting the temptation and eating sensibly and avoiding calorie laden foods that are abundant and traditional at these holidays that are centered around food and eating.

Well, don't go on "one of those" holidays then...
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Unfortuately, many of us have difficulty resisting the temptation and eating sensibly and avoiding calorie laden foods that are abundant and traditional at these holidays that are centered around food and eating.

Are you serious? You think those holidays are avoidable? They have permeated into our society.

For freaks sake... just support each other in our weaknesses. This thread is utter BS.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Are you serious? You think those holidays are avoidable? They have permeated into our society.

For freaks sake... just support each other in our weaknesses. This thread is utter BS.

Honestly, avoiding Christmas and New Year, and the family commitments that go with them might be a smidge challenging for most people.

(Maybe the poster didn't understand that that is the kind of 'holiday' being referred to - American stylee use of the word?)

Yeah, this thread is bat**** though.

I do think Ironsmasher's point about our culture is a good one, mind you.
  • starrycarina
    Options
    People hype up holidays like they are the apocalypse for diets. Why not just...make sure you don't binge eat on a holiday. It's not like you have to. It's not that complicated. I think even if you go to somebody's house and they serve you a three-course meal, it's not hard to not binge. And if you do feel obligated to eat their high-calorie dessert, it doesn't matter that much if you're overboard by five hundred calories for one day.

If you're spending a week or two visiting somebody else's house, you could explain that you are limiting your food intake and you shouldn't have much trouble if they are nice people.

Seriously. Enough. About. The holidays. Or is there somebody who insists that holidays like thanksgiving or christmas really are the harbingers of ham?

I'm so glad you've got it all figured out. Good for you! Some of us have difficulties with restraint because of food addiction, especially around the holidays which can be incredibly stressful times.

This is supposed to be a place of support and encouragement and your post doesn't sound like either of those two things. If anything, it's condescending and makes me believe you're a bit out of touch with how food addiction and overeating works.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Well, sometimes they're not nice people. And sometimes they ARE nice, but very emotional, and they've worked for days on the meal, plus spent a lot of $$ on food for you, the guest, so it means everything to them... and they will be very hurt if you don't eat some of their stuff.

Wait until you have a family of your own and then you'll understand. Human relationships are not that simple.

(I edited to take out the only 21 years old... plenty of people who are 21 understand this issue and have families of their own).
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Eating till you pop is not mandatory nor are holidays. I don't see any reason to make the excuse because it's holidays to pig out. I pity those people who can't control themselves if food in in front of them, they are the ones with no hope in keeping their weight off. Bit like saying they are forced to eat it cause it's there..... isn't that how they got fatter in the 1st place?

Wouldn't it be grand if we were all as perfect as you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Eating till you pop is not mandatory nor are holidays. I don't see any reason to make the excuse because it's holidays to pig out. I pity those people who can't control themselves if food in in front of them, they are the ones with no hope in keeping their weight off. Bit like saying they are forced to eat it cause it's there..... isn't that how they got fatter in the 1st place?

Hardly perfect, but know enough to know that a holiday is not an excuse. Make an excuse today & you will find a reason to make one tomorrow.
  • AmericanExpat
    Options

Hardly perfect, but know enough to know that a holiday is not an excuse. Make an excuse today & you will find a reason to make one tomorrow.

We all have our struggles with different things, some with food, some other things. Your superiority attitude is belittling those who struggle with food. Obviously most are trying to get healthy or they wouldn't be on here, but there is no reason to make someone feel bad for having a struggle with something that you do not struggle with.

Edited: For spelling
  • candiceh3
    Options
    You can't seem to muster an ounce of empathy for the battles we fighting putting theory into practice.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It may not be hard for YOU, but it doesn't mean it's not hard for others. Different people have different relationships with food. For some people, food was a friend, a confidant, etc. Also, families tend to put a lot of love into their meals and mealtimes. Food is something we need to survive and it can bring a closeness and warm and fuzzy feelings when shared with family, especially ones you haven't seen in a while. I''ll put it into perspective. Let's say that certain foods are like an amazing, beautiful delicious smelling ex bf/gf. You know, the type that was always there for you when you needed them, comforted you, but deep down, you knew that seeing them too much could be harmful to your health. Heck, your family even loves them.

With that being said, they are always there when you visit your family for the holidays. Again, they look amazing as always, smell amazing, but sometimes it's hard to be around them because you haven't seen them in so long, but there they are, looking perfect again at your family's dinner table. Your choices are to stay away, bring your other "bf/gf" as a substitute aka healthy bf/gf, or flirt with your food ex/bf by taking them in smaller doses.

Some people are weaker around foods after all, it was a long relationship. So breaking up with certain foods is certainly hard, especially if you don't see them usually and you're doing so well without them. Some people over indulge over the holidays, some don't. Either way, their struggle (which is not yours) is their own and you should respect it no matter how non difficult you think it may be.

Me personally, I will be taking it in doses. As long as it fits in with my daily goal, I'm going to have it.

ETA: To those of you who aren't dealing with a food demon, good for you, but let's not forget you didn't come on this site completely void of faults and you certainly weren't born that way. Things of this nature are learned. You may be strong with avoiding certain foods, and may lack in other areas. The point of this site is to encourage and uplift and better yourself. Stop trying to "pity" those who haven't learned or conquered their weaknesses...yet.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I love the assumption that I do not have a battle with food..... my ticker does show how much I lost & needed to lose right? I'm guessing that made me a fan of food...and still does. But making an excuse to over eat again just cause people put food there in front of me & don't want to offend is kinda how I got there with the need to lose weight.

Funny though how just cause I have some control now on what I put in my mouth comes across as a perfect person with no empathy. I have no SYMPATHY for those who make the excuse though. Don't eat it. You can't complain how hard it is then. Eat it & then you complain about how much food you were 'forced' to eat right?

:yawn: :noway:
  • AmericanExpat
    Options
    I love the assumption that I do not have a battle with food..... my ticker does show how much I lost & needed to lose right? I'm guessing that made me a fan of food...and still does. But making an excuse to over eat again just cause people put food there in front of me & don't want to offend is kinda how I got there with the need to lose weight.

Funny though how just cause I have some control now on what I put in my mouth comes across as a perfect person with no empathy. I have no SYMPATHY for those who make the excuse though. Don't eat it. You can't complain how hard it is then. Eat it & then you complain about how much food you were 'forced' to eat right?

:yawn: :noway:

You have to understand that not everyone is at the same point in their lifestyle change as you. I do agree that once you have started making the changes it gets much easier to resist temptation, but in the beginning it can be very challenging. It's not about the fact that you can have some control, its your attitude about others who are struggling with that same thing...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    People who do have psychological issues with food are not superior to those who don't (or who have different ones) either. I see plenty of moralistic self-righteousness coming from both sides here.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I will get back to you after I get through the holidays. Very nervous about it. I did go on an extended vacation last month and managed to keep on the plan, so that gives me hope. But heck just the other day, my grown nephew was having a hard time hearing NO when he was shoving my favorite brownies into my face. Eat just one, have a little, come on auntie just one! ugggg. I managed to say no and he commented on how even peer pressure was not going to work anymore! LMAO Will power. I never want to go back to the person I was. Never. I read a meme the other day that said something about how losing weight was less about the weight loss and more about gaining our power back. I agree.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    OMG you've solved the holiday weight gain dilemma. Thank you.

^^ LOL ^^ Awesome! :laugh: