I don't see why some people find holidays so difficult.

Options

Replies

• Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Wow. Seriously? Tell a drunk to just stop drinking. Tell any addict to "just stop" doing it. Duh! Seems so easy on paper.

Holidays with my family are really nothing more than a cooking competition, and I am NOT kidding! Everyone in my family can cook (including me) - my mom and my grandmother have pubslihed cook books. There is homemade everything...especially breads and confections of alllllll sorts (and I make THE best pie crust of all of them and I have been assigned pies this year) so believe me, it is HARD to to go Thanksgiving and Christmas and not eat badly!!! I am "good" as far as I only take one plate of food, but let me tell you, my mom's friggin' homemade buttermilk rolls are like crack if you are a carb addict (I AM!) and it is really hard to resist! They are fluffy, chewy globs of deliciousness for which she gets water from MICHIGAN to make!!! I have given myself permission to have ONE. Because if I don't do that, I will totally mentally cave and eat 3. No joke.

People are on this website because, um, they want to lose weight (for the most part) so it would only seem logical that a day focused on FOOD would present itself as an obstacle! It's really easy to say just don't overeat. Maybe that would be easy if my family cooked from a box and the food was the same as I eat everyday....but at my family's holidays, we are talking homemade chocolate covered peanut butter balls....made with fresh ground peanuts!!! :sad:

I have my strategy this year already planned, one of which is I am absolutely NOT taking home any leftovers!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Wow. Seriously? Tell a drunk to just stop drinking. Tell any addict to "just stop" doing it. Duh! Seems so easy on paper.

Holidays with my family are really nothing more than a cooking competition, and I am NOT kidding! Everyone in my family can cook (including me) - my mom and my grandmother have pubslihed cook books. There is homemade everything...especially breads and confections of alllllll sorts (and I make THE best pie crust of all of them and I have been assigned pies this year) so believe me, it is HARD to to go Thanksgiving and Christmas and not eat badly!!! I am "good" as far as I only take one plate of food, but let me tell you, my mom's friggin' homemade buttermilk rolls are like crack if you are a carb addict (I AM!) and it is really hard to resist! They are fluffy, chewy globs of deliciousness for which she gets water from MICHIGAN to make!!! I have given myself permission to have ONE. Because if I don't do that, I will totally mentally cave and eat 3. No joke.

People are on this website because, um, they want to lose weight (for the most part) so it would only seem logical that a day focused on FOOD would present itself as an obstacle! It's really easy to say just don't overeat. Maybe that would be easy if my family cooked from a box and the food was the same as I eat everyday....but at my family's holidays, we are talking homemade chocolate covered peanut butter balls....made with fresh ground peanuts!!! :sad:

I have my strategy this year already planned, one of which is I am absolutely NOT taking home any leftovers!!

Can I come to your place for Xmas this year please? Lol. It's one day, enjoy it!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Holidays are just like any other day as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who uses the excuse to binge or whatever just cause it's a holiday has no willpower or self control at all.
    Or we really love all the special foods prepared by family members with love and because it only happens a few times a year we indulge and have a full belly and put on a pound or 3 and enjoy every minute of it and then go back to the hard work and dedication of weight loss the other 360 days of the year.
  • NARudy
    NARudy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think what's weirdest about this thread is that it was started in July, pretty close to as far from the "holidays" you can get and still be on a calendar.

Either the original poster is himself obsessed with the holidays or is trolling. And successfully trolling given the length of this thread.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    thank god. a 21 year old male with 10lb to lose has come to save us all....

I totally agree! How amazing to find such clear thinking and insight in one so young.

Totally with you OP and the whining in this thread is evidence of the neurotic thinking and whacked out relationship some have with food that a few days of the year throw them into such a tizzy and such a victim mentality.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Holidays are just like any other day as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who uses the excuse to binge or whatever just cause it's a holiday has no willpower or self control at all.
    Or we really love all the special foods prepared by family members with love and because it only happens a few times a year we indulge and have a full belly and put on a pound or 3 and enjoy every minute of it and then go back to the hard work and dedication of weight loss the other 360 days of the year.

Healthy attitude right here! :drinker:
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The holidays are bad not just because of Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Eve/Day. If you work in an office like I do, you get gift baskets starting by Thanksgiving. The patients bring you boxes of candy or Christmas cookies. The day after Thanksgiving and Christmas, even if you give all your left overs away, everybody brings their left overs to work! Usually it's the desserts.

You're just doomed. The devil on the one shoulder that says "just have one" seems to win but then then one turns into two and so on...

So basically it's a battle with yourself. Who will win?
  • Well. I was going to reply. Then I read all the other comments that exactly explained what I would've said. LOL. So. yea. To put it bluntly, that's friggin ridiculous. The whole thing. Don't make an overall judgment of the entire overweight human race and assume you have so easily solved everyones problem. if YOU don't know why people make a big deal out of the holidays, where people feel most vulnerable and lonely and sometimes overwhelmed, OR just simply enjoy some great food, booze and family time...then you have absolutely no common sense. But good for you, so glad you wont be gaining!!
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it's what you do MOST of the time that matters. How I eat between November and January doesn't matter as much as how I eat between January and November.

It's a mental battle, more than a physical one. If you overeat for the holidays, gain a little weight, then feel defeated and quit... you're screwed. If you overeat for the holidays, gain a little weight, then work on getting it off, then you'll be fine. The actual weight one gains during the holidays is minimal, one study suggests a half pound to five pounds ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10727591 ).

Excellent points Lorinna! (And I love the Halloween look!)
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • NinjaMaid
    NinjaMaid Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a mother and friends who frequently pressure me to eat junk and unhealthy items. It is always a struggle even when it is not the holidays.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Unfortuately, many of us have difficulty resisting the temptation and eating sensibly and avoiding calorie laden foods that are abundant and traditional at these holidays that are centered around food and eating.

Well, don't go on "one of those" holidays then...
    Or get some therapy to learn a healthier relationship with food? After all is Christmas or Hanukah or Thanksgiving or New Years Day really about food. Some of these days have significance roots in faith or our spiritual beliefs. Change your focus and don't make it all about the food. You determine what you think and do.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it's what you do MOST of the time that matters. How I eat between November and January doesn't matter as much as how I eat between January and November.

It's a mental battle, more than a physical one. If you overeat for the holidays, gain a little weight, then feel defeated and quit... you're screwed. If you overeat for the holidays, gain a little weight, then work on getting it off, then you'll be fine. The actual weight one gains during the holidays is minimal, one study suggests a half pound to five pounds ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10727591 ).

^^^^ this

and I know the OP lacks a little empathy, but there is good advice in his post. A lot of people make the holiday season a whole lot more stressful than it needs to be, because rather than just letting themselves enjoy eating for one day, they deprive themselves to the point where they snap and binge. Most binge eating is the result of excessive restriction and a lot of people are in a cycle of punishing themselves for being "bad" and eating too much, and overeating. If you take the emotions and morality out of the equation, and stop seeing overeating as morally wrong, then it can be a lot easier to just see the whole situation in the plain logic of what it is, which is what the OP does on this thread. It really is that simple, if people wouldn't complicate the whole thing with guilt and excessive restriction. Give yourself permission to enjoy a day of eating and celebration. When you give yourself permission to do this, it's easier to avoid binging. Then the next day go right back to the healthy diet and exercise. One day is not going to screw your progress long term. And so what if you don't lose that week... it's one week of the entire year.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Unfortuately, many of us have difficulty resisting the temptation and eating sensibly and avoiding calorie laden foods that are abundant and traditional at these holidays that are centered around food and eating.

Well, don't go on "one of those" holidays then...

Are you serious? You think those holidays are avoidable? They have permeated into our society.

For freaks sake... just support each other in our weaknesses. This thread is utter BS.

Eating till you pop is not mandatory nor are holidays. I don't see any reason to make the excuse because it's holidays to pig out. I pity those people who can't control themselves if food in in front of them, they are the ones with no hope in keeping their weight off. Bit like saying they are forced to eat it cause it's there..... isn't that how they got fatter in the 1st place?

Wouldn't it be grand if we were all as perfect as you.

Hardly perfect, but know enough to know that a holiday is not an excuse. Make an excuse today & you will find a reason to make one tomorrow.

We all have our struggles with different things, some with food, some other things. Your superiority attitude is belittling those who struggle with food. Obviously most are trying to get healthy or they wouldn't be on here, but there is no reason to make someone feel bad for having a struggle with something that you do not struggle with.

Edited: For spelling

I don't see any belitttliing, only straight talk. No one can "make" you feel anything. What you feel is your choice. Stop giving others power over you that they don't deserve.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Another approach: make your two week diet break coincide with Christmas! That's what I've done for the last 2 years.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just spent 3 hours making the most succulent Christmas dinner you have ever had, served it to you with impeccable plating on our finest china.

You're going to tell me you don't want to eat it? Why? Does it suck? Do I suck? Have I done something to hurt you this year? Why don't you love me? Why? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?

mom in law is that you???
  • lannabelle
    lannabelle Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ... says the person who has lost 0 lb.

troll.gif

yup.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There is pumpkin pie.. and stuffing.. and cookies..

did I mention cookies??

And my clients send me chocolate covered everything! And it's so good.. cause it's high quality chocolate covered everything! omg.. chocolate covered espresso beans!! They are crack!!

Did I mention cookies??

No matter who I visit there is food everywhere. And unless it's fresh raw veggies.. it's probably not healthy.

Did I mention cookies?

And the cookie exchange I participate in.. for the good of the community of course.. :~p

No stretchy pants this year.. i'm just gonna work my butt off at the gym.

GO TO THE GYM! GAH!

Oh and did I mention cookies??
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I love the assumption that I do not have a battle with food..... my ticker does show how much I lost & needed to lose right? I'm guessing that made me a fan of food...and still does. But making an excuse to over eat again just cause people put food there in front of me & don't want to offend is kinda how I got there with the need to lose weight.

Funny though how just cause I have some control now on what I put in my mouth comes across as a perfect person with no empathy. I have no SYMPATHY for those who make the excuse though. Don't eat it. You can't complain how hard it is then. Eat it & then you complain about how much food you were 'forced' to eat right?

:yawn: :noway:

You seem to confuse simple with easy, and you're also probably a robot.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Yes but croissants in France.....