How are you going to avoid holiday binging?

Options
124»

Replies

• OneEyedWolf
    OneEyedWolf Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be spending the vast majority of the day out in the woods chasing Bambi's dad, and it's a long standing tradition in my family to fast before the meal (there have been admittedly a few mutinies where we successfully stormed the kitchen before it's dinner time, but, not often) so I won't feel a bit guilty so long as I log my actual food intake and actually enjoy myself.

The holidays are for having fun and enjoying family, not stressing out over "Can I have one more piece of corn bread or one more dollop of mashed potatoes?"
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've only been using MFP for little over a month, so I gave this question some serious thought. I have a few reasons to NOT over-indulge:

1. Since I've made the nutrition and exercise changes (and yes, I know they are lifestyle changes that I need/plan to continue), I've lost half an inch from around my neck. I like that.
    2. My clothes are looser on me. I REALLY like that.
    3. Since I made the changes, I've had NO heart palpitations. I REALLY REALLY like that.
    4. Since I am eating better and exercising more regularly, I have seen the health of both my husband and my teen-aged daughter improve since breakfast and dinner are family meals.
    5. I am blessed to have incredible support and encouragement from people who are around me, who also are being extremely considerate about the dietary changes we've made (plus, when you come up with really yummy recipes that are also so much healthier, the YUM factor doesn't hurt).

I guess what I'm saying is, the above reasons so greatly outweigh any instant gratification (and subsequent misery from "binging" on foods that are richer than I'm now eating and actually ENJOYING), that I find that temptation not so difficult to resist. Yes, I consider myself EXTREMELY blessed. :wink:
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm not.

I'm going to relish it.

RELISH IT ALL.

ALLLL OF THE FOOD GOES IN MY MOUTH NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMONOM.

Then I'll start running. And lifting. ANd panting. ANd sweating. It's gonna be hot.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, we are going to take dinner to the inlaws in FW, so there will be no leftover stuffing, potatoes, pie, etc. hanging around for days (and years on the belly).

For Christmas.... cancelling being the annual home everyone comes to visit. Going to make it a more relaxing day without a lot of cooking and preparing for people. Eating throughout the cooking process adds a lot of calories that can go un-noticed or un-thought-of.

We have always been the hub for both sides of our family, but the stress of it and the overeating due to it has become too much. So, we are backing away from it all.

Friday after T'giving we will have just veggie trays and a shrimp tray. No heavy queso and chips and a limit to the olive/cheese/meat tray... Making our own dips for the trays: probably hummus and a yogurt-based dip like tzatziki using fat-free yogurt.

We will be working on Christmas and New Years Eve both, at least half if not full days. So we will be staying in both of those nights.

NYE will be staying at home and watching movies.

New Year's Day we do a black eyed pea soup recipe that we found at whole foods website.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/black-eyed-pea-and-collard-greens-soup

Add some cornbread and you have it covered!

People love to bring us fudge and candy in the holidays, so I am thinking of pre-emptively sending out a message via FB and email to ask them, "If you really love us, don't bring us candy!"

I don't eat a lot of candy, but during the holiday season, it is a downfall of mine... especially my mom's fudge and divinity.
  • mundaetraversa
    Options
    So interesting to read everyone's different strategies! There are a lot of options for how to handle the season of sweets and big meals. Personally, I take what I want on those days and don't skip dishes I enjoy (and only get once a year!), BUT I take only half the amount I would like to eat. Then I relax and enjoy the meal with my loved ones. After, I plug everything in and see how my calories are looking. If I want more, I'll know how much more I can have. Eat slowly and really enjoy every bite. If you go over, who cares? An extra day at the gym and a few days under your usual calorie goal, and you'll be just fine.
  • almasters90
    almasters90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Busy myself with holiday shopping. If my mind is too busy, I wont munch and I wont even remember to eat unless someone mentions it.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    im not.
    eat all of the food
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that a lot of people can have a binge day and still get right back on track. For me, if I partake in all of the goodness of Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years treats, it WILL derail me (I know from last year. :sad:). That said: myself and a few others I work with are going to be doing our own "nutritious" pot luck and not partake in all of the sweets and treats everyone usually brings. Not sure about family dinner yet. Will probably just eat less and opt for the green beans instead of the mashed potatoes. :tongue:
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have learned over the last 12 months or so, that if I don't eat to full/uncomfortable that I can manage holidays and events where food/drink is plentiful and yummy. I also try to remember this little motto I made up "make it about the company, not the food".
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    By eating everything I want in any quantity I want. Stress, avoided.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    New Year's Day we do a black eyed pea soup recipe that we found at whole foods website.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/black-eyed-pea-and-collard-greens-soup

Add some cornbread and you have it covered!

Thanks for the recipe! It looks great. I'm cooking black eyed peas right now. I'm going to adapt the recipe because I don't eat ham or chicken broth. I think I have all the other ingredients in the house right now except the celery. Yum! ...and good luck with your holiday eating.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My solution? Travel in a non-Christian/Western country for the Holidays. All the walking around/sightseeing. No need to worry about Christmas/Thanksgiving dinners since I'll be by myself. I may even lose a pound or two.

Other than that, a few days won't kill the diet.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Last night, I went to a friend's house. I did nothing but NUM UM UM. It was not even a holiday. But when you are having fun with friends and the food is right in your face. Everyone is snacking on something. What can I do? :drinker:

The toughest part for me is the gatherings. Potlucks aren't so hard because there is usually a good variety; I just have to choose wisely. It's the family gatherings where I have trouble. Potato chips and other fattening stuff abound (one family member needs it even less than I do; he is diabetic and has given up following any food plan).