I need to quit drinking to get healthy!

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yep! I know what needs to be done. Just gotta stick with the plan and not until after next weekend. lol. Staff party this weekend and i wanna drink for it. One last gooder.......

Be careful that you don't go overboard on this 'one last gooder' and end up in the hospital. That would be some bad irony, but it is not uncommon.
    Best wishes for you for better health- mentally and physically.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Yep! I know what needs to be done. Just gotta stick with the plan and not until after next weekend. lol. Staff party this weekend and i wanna drink for it. One last gooder.......

Be careful that you don't go overboard on this 'one last gooder' and end up in the hospital. That would be some bad irony, but it is not uncommon.
    Best wishes for you for better health- mentally and physically.
    Totally! Thank you. I will be careful!
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Before I found out I was diabetic I blacked out from drinking 3 times in one month. Each time I drank a 5th of cherry vodka, which was normal for me, blacking out was not. I was about to write an email to the vodka company. Then I found out I was diabetic and shouldn't drink anymore. I survived my first party not drinking last week by carrying around a bottle of pepsi max. The pressure to drink was still there but I survived and it was weird being the only sober one.

This weekend is my birthday party. The pressure to drink is already on. I am planning to get Bud Select 55 (2 carbs/bottle) and sip on a few all night. I hope this takes the pressure off because for me that is the worst part of not drinking, having people shoving drinks in your hand and basically begging you to drink it.

Good luck. I hope we can both do it.
  • pixelheap
    Options
    I used to drink a six pack a night. Every night. It never effected my job, I never drank in front of my kids, so it seemed ok. At least that's what I told myself. I have tapered back, but I still think about it a lot. Fact is, I can be good six days a week but if i drink a six pack on the seventh, I ruin a third of my work all week.. not worth it. I have to stop. :(
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    I also drink one or twice .................. a week and I love it. But of course, and thanks God, I am not diabetic. And it hasn't sabotage my weight lost. But you are right it does slow it down.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I refuse to believe that any of your many posts are serious. I don't want to know that there is really someone out there with your intelligence level. It's a scary thought.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    What was the question?
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Diabetics can drink.

But perhaps you should not drink because it seems to be messing with something called common sense.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

If you want to blame drinking 3-4 times/year as the reason for your lack of "success" then go ahead.

I'd be more likely to blame all the quick add calories in your diary. And all the days you went excessively over your calorie goal.

Drinking can have negative side effects on your medical conditions though. That would be a good reason to stop. But, don't blame alcohol for your lack of progress.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. I gained 4 pounds when I got drunk one time this past summer. It did last for a whole month though....

*insert "i don't party often, but when i do..." meme*
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You only drink 4 times a year and you think you have a problem? Give me a break.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Turning 21 on Friday so I'll make up for your lack of drinking. You iz welcome :drinker:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It is so much easier to control your weight when you cut back or eliminate drinking. For anxiety reasons I cannot really drink heavily anymore, and my body thanks me for it the next morning.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

Glad you are realizing this!! I got fat because of beer...you have no choice with diabetes...Good luck to you, I hope you get a lot of support from MFP members :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that having drinks 3-4 times a year is keeping you from your fitness goals. Stop drinking if you wish but don't place the burden or your goals on that infrequent activity.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not here to debate whether you should/should not stop drinking - that's up to you. Just here to say how I got more comfortable dancing without alcohol - practice! Use one of those wii or xbox dancing games (they count as cardio too) and you will get more comfortable dancing sober.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!

No. It's better that you don't remember these moments. As a "white" male I understand the handicap life has dealt us on this issue. Take the booze and let it help you flow on the dance floor.

MagicHands.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I may need to start drinking to make sense of your threads.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I heard this thread was about drinking...

...so in, I guess.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I refuse to believe that any of your many posts are serious. I don't want to know that there is really someone out there with your intelligence level. It's a scary thought.

Lol, Wow.