I need to quit drinking to get healthy!

Options

Replies

• BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I may need to start drinking to make sense of your threads.
    By all means.........
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You only drink 4 times a year and you think you have a problem? Give me a break.

That's exactly what I thought. Once every three months is not a problem.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    You only drink 4 times a year and you think you have a problem? Give me a break.

It's not a "drinking problem" but it does cause "health" problems when I drink. Because i drink and get drunk - everytime! There's no sip here and sip there im done. It's drink drink drink dance dance dance drink have sex pass out. lol. So for me, it is a problem as it cause my diabetes to go out of whack.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

It's not a "drinking problem" but it does cause "health" problems when I drink. Because i drink and get drunk - everytime! There's no sip here and sip there im done. It's drink drink drink dance dance dance drink have sex pass out. lol. So for me, it is a problem as it cause my diabetes to go out of whack.

Then it shouldn't be that hard to stop. 3-4 times a year hardly makes you an addict.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Then it shouldn't be that hard to stop. 3-4 times a year hardly makes you an addict.
    Well it still is kinda hard to stop. I enjoy drinking and socializing and having fun like that. But I believe im ready to give it up. Maybe just have little wine at xmas with family dinner or something and such. There's no way i would get drunk at a family gathering...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Well it still is kinda hard to stop. I enjoy drinking and socializing and having fun like that. But I believe im ready to give it up. Maybe just have little wine at xmas (1)with family dinner or something (2)and such(3). There's no way i would get drunk at a family gathering...

Still sounds like 3 times a year. Not sure what you're changing with this plan.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Well it still is kinda hard to stop. I enjoy drinking and socializing and having fun like that. But I believe im ready to give it up. Maybe just have little wine at xmas (1)with family dinner or something (2)and such(3). There's no way i would get drunk at a family gathering...

Still sounds like 3 times a year. Not sure what you're changing with this plan.

To not getting drunk 3 times a year. To having one drink with supper with my family on holidays.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There are 365 days in a year. Even if drinking sabotages your efforts for 10 days, you still have 97.3% of the time to stop with the excuses.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!

No. It's better that you don't remember these moments. As a "white" male I understand the handicap life has dealt us on this issue. Take the booze and let it help you flow on the dance floor.

MagicHands.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep! I know what needs to be done. Just gotta stick with the plan and not until after next weekend. lol. Staff party this weekend and i wanna drink for it. One last gooder.......

really? if you want to stop drinking, stop drinking, TODAY...

already theres an excuse... work party, then it'll be christmas, then new year, then your birthday, then your best friends wedding, etc etc etc...
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking 6 weeks ago. From now to than and never wanne start it again!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    first of all - good for you for recognizing that you have a problem. I've never had a problem with substance abuse (other than food) and i *can* drink (just don't like to) so i haven't ever dealt with this issue - but I know people who have. even though you are a *few times a year drinker* i would still check out AA - I know that *if* you really are committed then they have a very high success rate. especially since, as you say, there is alcoholism in your family, it might be a good idea for you.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am day 4 no drinking and feel great!!! Bloat is coming off and I actually sleep through the night!!! I had been drinking way too much and decided to just stop. I have to find things to do different from 4-6PM when I used to start to drink. I still want to but NO!!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    There are 365 days in a year. Even if drinking sabotages your efforts for 10 days, you still have 97.3% of the time to stop with the excuses.

Okay, let's say a person takes 1 cheat day a week to eat whatever they want. That's 52 days in a year. Plus say another 10 days for screws ups on meals/exercise from drinking. 62 bad days out of the year is 62/365. Shouldn't a person see results from being good 303 days of the year? Lots of people get great success from 1 cheat day a week - whats another 10 days....

And yes, I agree with your statement. 97.3% is a great # to see results with!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

If you want to blame drinking 3-4 times/year as the reason for your lack of "success" then go ahead.

I'd be more likely to blame all the quick add calories in your diary. And all the days you went excessively over your calorie goal.

Drinking can have negative side effects on your medical conditions though. That would be a good reason to stop. But, don't blame alcohol for your lack of progress.

This. THANK YOU. I'm shocked that so few people picked up on this.

If you don't want to drink, don't. But don't fool yourself into thinking that drinking 3-4 times a year is preventing you from reaching your goal.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

If you want to blame drinking 3-4 times/year as the reason for your lack of "success" then go ahead.

I'd be more likely to blame all the quick add calories in your diary. And all the days you went excessively over your calorie goal.

Drinking can have negative side effects on your medical conditions though. That would be a good reason to stop. But, don't blame alcohol for your lack of progress.

This. THANK YOU. I'm shocked that so few people picked up on this.

If you don't want to drink, don't. But don't fool yourself into thinking that drinking 3-4 times a year is preventing you from reaching your goal.

Thank you! Now what the hell is preventing me from reaching my goal???? Seriously! I've been at this ever since 6 weeks postpartum. Yes I kept switching things up all the time at first cuz i didn't have any results and wasn't being patient. But now ive been really at this for quit some time and im no wheres near where i wanna be. It can't be my cheating because lots of other people can cheat and still lose. It's not like i cheat every 2nd day. And i do actually weigh and measure everything (unless it's a weekend binge) and I consistantly do Strong Lifts and i play badminton once a week and I take a couple little walks with my boy per week. I also bust my *kitten* in this house every 2nd day doing a full upstairs cleanup! That takes energy. The only think i can think of for lack of good solid success is my attitude. Too negative and too impatient. Am I right? or am I a clueless dumbass like some people are implying.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Now what the hell is preventing me from reaching my goal????

Yes I kept switching things up all the time

It can't be my cheating i do actually weigh and measure everything unless it's a weekend binge

The only think i can think of for lack of good solid success is my attitude.

picked out some bits for you to think about....
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Now what the hell is preventing me from reaching my goal????

Yes I kept switching things up all the time

It can't be my cheating i do actually weigh and measure everything unless it's a weekend binge

The only think i can think of for lack of good solid success is my attitude.

picked out some bits for you to think about....

This.

You aren't just binging on the weekends. In the last week alone you went over more than you stayed on goal, to the tune of more than 3500+ over your goal. You're drinking four times year has NOTHING to do with your progress. If you want to be able to binge like you are doing, then your workouts need to be more consistent and more intense. Cleaning the house is not a workout - it's a bonus.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Time to tighten the reins....and not let it affect my husband - he likes to eat whatever, whenever every day. Im not gonna let that be my excuse either. I am in CONTROL of ME. Food is my problem. No more going over so much....eat deficit every day. I CAN do this! Gonna be hard but at least i have some good people on MFP to give support. Right?
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Time to tighten the reins....and not let it affect my husband - he likes to eat whatever, whenever every day. Im not gonna let that be my excuse either. I am in CONTROL of ME. Food is my problem. No more going over so much....eat deficit every day. I CAN do this! Gonna be hard but at least i have some good people on MFP to give support. Right?

Indeed. There are a lot of people on here who can give you good advice.

It looks like on the days you go over, you are eating a light breakfast and a light lunch and then killing your diet on dinner. It's hard to tell because you have quick adds - if you want help, you need to log the food you are eating.

While you can lose weight eating fast food and fried foods, I might suggest cutting it out until you get a handle on your diet. You can eat a lot more in quantity with healthier foods and that may help prevent binging behaviors.