I need to quit drinking to get healthy!

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Time to tighten the reins....and not let it affect my husband - he likes to eat whatever, whenever every day. Im not gonna let that be my excuse either. I am in CONTROL of ME. Food is my problem. No more going over so much....eat deficit every day. I CAN do this! Gonna be hard but at least i have some good people on MFP to give support. Right?

Indeed. There are a lot of people on here who HAVE GIVEN you good advice DOZENS OF TIMES.

FIFY
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    If I am going to get sloshed I just count that in for my daily calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

If you want to blame drinking 3-4 times/year as the reason for your lack of "success" then go ahead.

I'd be more likely to blame all the quick add calories in your diary. And all the days you went excessively over your calorie goal.

Drinking can have negative side effects on your medical conditions though. That would be a good reason to stop. But, don't blame alcohol for your lack of progress.

This. THANK YOU. I'm shocked that so few people picked up on this.

If you don't want to drink, don't. But don't fool yourself into thinking that drinking 3-4 times a year is preventing you from reaching your goal.

Thank you! Now what the hell is preventing me from reaching my goal???? Seriously! I've been at this ever since 6 weeks postpartum. Yes I kept switching things up all the time at first cuz i didn't have any results and wasn't being patient. But now ive been really at this for quit some time and im no wheres near where i wanna be. It can't be my cheating because lots of other people can cheat and still lose. It's not like i cheat every 2nd day. And i do actually weigh and measure everything (unless it's a weekend binge) and I consistantly do Strong Lifts and i play badminton once a week and I take a couple little walks with my boy per week. I also bust my *kitten* in this house every 2nd day doing a full upstairs cleanup! That takes energy. The only think i can think of for lack of good solid success is my attitude. Too negative and too impatient. Am I right? or am I a clueless dumbass like some people are implying.....

You've answered your own question.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

If you want to blame drinking 3-4 times/year as the reason for your lack of "success" then go ahead.

I'd be more likely to blame all the quick add calories in your diary. And all the days you went excessively over your calorie goal.

Drinking can have negative side effects on your medical conditions though. That would be a good reason to stop. But, don't blame alcohol for your lack of progress.

This. THANK YOU. I'm shocked that so few people picked up on this.

If you don't want to drink, don't. But don't fool yourself into thinking that drinking 3-4 times a year is preventing you from reaching your goal.

Thank you! Now what the hell is preventing me from reaching my goal???? Seriously! I've been at this ever since 6 weeks postpartum. Yes I kept switching things up all the time at first cuz i didn't have any results and wasn't being patient. But now ive been really at this for quit some time and im no wheres near where i wanna be. It can't be my cheating because lots of other people can cheat and still lose. It's not like i cheat every 2nd day. And i do actually weigh and measure everything (unless it's a weekend binge) and I consistantly do Strong Lifts and i play badminton once a week and I take a couple little walks with my boy per week. I also bust my *kitten* in this house every 2nd day doing a full upstairs cleanup! That takes energy. The only think i can think of for lack of good solid success is my attitude. Too negative and too impatient. Am I right? or am I a clueless dumbass like some people are implying.....

I don't think anyone is implying that.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Time to tighten the reins....and not let it affect my husband - he likes to eat whatever, whenever every day. Im not gonna let that be my excuse either. I am in CONTROL of ME. Food is my problem. No more going over so much....eat deficit every day. I CAN do this! Gonna be hard but at least i have some good people on MFP to give support. Right?

Indeed. There are a lot of people on here who can give you good advice.

It looks like on the days you go over, you are eating a light breakfast and a light lunch and then killing your diet on dinner. It's hard to tell because you have quick adds - if you want help, you need to log the food you are eating.

While you can lose weight eating fast food and fried foods, I might suggest cutting it out until you get a handle on your diet. You can eat a lot more in quantity with healthier foods and that may help prevent binging behaviors.

Okay so u think it will help to have bigger breakfast and lunch? Save me from getting too hungry at supper and the evening.... And ya, I can cut out fast food for sure. Sometimes i go months with out any. Except for like Tim Hortons sandwiches and Subway.

As for the quick ads recently, those are due to eating homemade desserts that someone else made and are just an estimate on my behalf. I usually do log all foods.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Indeed. There are a lot of people on here who HAVE GIVEN you good advice DOZENS OF TIMES.

Yes I know! Obviously i need more of a push and some support here!!! I really want this! Diet is my issue and i need to figure out how to fix that - i don't recall anyone ever telling me how to do it. Maybe because i really didn't know my problem back then....F O O D.

FIFY
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

It looks like on the days you go over, you are eating a light breakfast and a light lunch and then killing your diet on dinner. It's hard to tell because you have quick adds - if you want help, you need to log the food you are eating.

While you can lose weight eating fast food and fried foods, I might suggest cutting it out until you get a handle on your diet. You can eat a lot more in quantity with healthier foods and that may help prevent binging behaviors.

Okay so u think it will help to have bigger breakfast and lunch? Save me from getting too hungry at supper and the evening.... And ya, I can cut out fast food for sure. Sometimes i go months with out any. Except for like Tim Hortons sandwiches and Subway.

As for the quick ads recently, those are due to eating homemade desserts that someone else made and are just an estimate on my behalf. I usually do log all foods.

Just stay within your weekly calorie goals and weigh and measure everything, including your binge weekends. If you stay at or just under your calorie goals, you will lose the weight. You haven't lost the weight because you have not done that. You go over on you non binge days and then further blow up your weekly goals by not keeping track of your weekend eating.

You want to succeed? Then do what you've been told a billion and one times. Track everything ACCURATELY each day, everyday.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Just stay within your weekly calorie goals and weigh and measure everything, including your binge weekends. If you stay at or just under your calorie goals, you will lose the weight. You haven't lost the weight because you have not done that. You go over on you non binge days and then further blow up your weekly goals by not keeping track of your weekend eating.

You want to succeed? Then do what you've been told a billion and one times. Track everything ACCURATELY each day, everyday.

Okay, thanks. But can u tell me why some people lose weight without tracking? Not everyone tracks their food you know. I know i've lost weight without tracking - a year before i got pregnant. Pregnancy is the reason im having to lose again.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Well, yes, but you also have to decide what the best foods are for you to be eating and then you have to maintain control at night. Every time you say you are doing something right, you immediately negate it with an "except for when...."

Again, can you eat fast food and lose weight? Yes. But not in the quantities that you are eating, especially on top of the rest of your day. Tim Hortons and Subway are not necessarily low cal...I'd have to ask what you are actually getting?

If I were you, until I could better manage my diet, I would cut out the fast food and homemade desserts. Eat filling, healthy foods that prevent you from binging and only indulge in dessert when you have had your healthy meals for the day and have some calories left over.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Okay, thanks. But can u tell me why some people lose weight without tracking? Not everyone tracks their food you know. I know i've lost weight without tracking - a year before i got pregnant. Pregnancy is the reason im having to lose again.

Everyone is different. Some people have a good sense of what to eat, and how much to eat, in a given day. I used to not have a problem with my diet at all but after spending time with people who don't diet, and being sedentary, I lost sight of what healthy habits were. Now I can go without tracking and not gain weight, but that's because I've taken the time on here to "reset" my diet.

Also, I like healthy food and I don't eat a lot of fast food or snack foods. I also work out quite a bit so that day or two when I do go over doesn't have that big of an impact.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    k
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Maybe they have a better idea of what the calorie content of food is that they eat. Maybe they have less of a desire for food. Maybe... It doesn't matter what works for other people if it doesn't work for you. You aren't losing the weight and you aren't tracking everything. Track it to lose it.

Or just keep doing what you've been doing and keep failing.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Tim is always Black Forest Ham & Swiss. Subway is always 6" Ham with light mayo and veggies on wholewheat. I still don't see how im that bad at being over. Ive just looked at the report for last 30 days and YES there's a few days wayyy over goal but there are tons of day just little under/little over my 1750 goal and some days way under like 1300/1400. Why are people telling me that im wayyyy over and this is why im not losing weight?
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Tim is always Black Forest Ham & Swiss. Subway is always 6" Ham with light mayo and veggies on wholewheat. I still don't see how im that bad at being over. Ive just looked at the report for last 30 days and YES there's a few days wayyy over goal but there are tons of day just little under/little over my 1750 goal and some days way under like 1300/1400. Why are people telling me that im wayyyy over and this is why im not losing weight?

1. You're quick adding so we can't possibly know what you are eating on a regular basis.
    2. In the last week you were WAY over. 3500+ over.
    3. What is that 1750 based on? I work out quite a bit and it's rare that I have a day that hits 1750. I have a 1300 base and I eat back most of my exercise calories.
    4. I honestly don't think you are choosing the right foods if you are serious about wanting to lose weight. I also don't think you are accurate at weighing and/or gauging what you are eating.
    5. Cleaning the house is not exercise.
    6. Considering you are lifting weights AND going over quite a bit on your diet, you could be bulking.
    7. No cardio?
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's not a "drinking problem" but it does cause "health" problems when I drink. Because i drink and get drunk - everytime! There's no sip here and sip there im done. It's drink drink drink dance dance dance drink have sex pass out. lol. So for me, it is a problem as it cause my diabetes to go out of whack.

ok, reality check.
    Your diabetes did not prevent you from stopping after 4 drinks. And our diabetes did not cause you not to loose weight, because of 4 days per year of excessive drinking/eating.

It IS a drinking problem if once you get 'started drinking' you CAN NOT STOP DRINKING UNTIL YOU're body stops you by passing out & shutting down.. Can you stop after 4 drinks?

Try this: Before this party, promise yourself you'll stop after 4 drinks.
    The next day, face the reality of your choices & your actions.
    Were you able to keep your promise to yourself and stop after 4?
    Google "weekend alcoholic" or "binge drinking".

http://www.aca-usa.com/faq.htm
    What distinguishes a social drinker from an alcoholic?
    Loss of control. A social drinker has control over how much he/she drinks. An alcoholic has lost this ability and after beginning to drink, usually drinks to intoxication.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I usually do log all foods.

No you don't - which is where your problem lies. And that's where your problem has always been. Every single time you have asked for advice on MFP the answer is always the same:

Track everything and be consistent.

You have trouble with that. So, you make threads to ask (in different ways) how to solve your problem of not seeing results. But no matter how you ask the question, the answer isn't going to change. Track everything - accurately - and be consistent.

Tracking everything means scanning barcodes, using entries or making them when necessary, even for baked goods and fast foods. Tracking everything means every bite you take, every single day, gets logged.

Being consistent means tracking every single day and sticking to a workout routine for an extended period of time. Being consistent also means sticking to your calorie goal. Every single day.

Once you can track everything (EVERYTHING) and be consistent for an extended period of time, you will see results. Until then, you will continue to be frustrated and jump to conclusions about things that are actually immaterial to your progress.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

No you don't - which is where your problem lies. And that's where your problem has always been. Every single time you have asked for advice on MFP the answer is always the same:

You have trouble with that. So, you make threads to ask (in different ways) how to solve your problem of not seeing results. But no matter how you ask the question, the answer isn't going to change. Track everything - accurately - and be consistent.

Tracking everything means scanning barcodes, using entries or making them when necessary, even for baked goods and fast foods. Tracking everything means every bite you take, every single day, gets logged.

Being consistent means tracking every single day and sticking to a workout routine for an extended period of time. Being consistent also means sticking to your calorie goal. Every single day.

Once you can track everything (EVERYTHING) and be consistent for an extended period of time, you will see results. Until then, you will continue to be frustrated and jump to conclusions about things that are actually immaterial to your progress.

^ THIS

This.gif
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

A million times, this.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

1. You're quick adding so we can't possibly know what you are eating on a regular basis. Yes this week was bad and i did quick add some.
    2. In the last week you were WAY over. 3500+ over. Yep I certainly was but NOT the first 3 weeks of Oct.
    3. What is that 1750 based on? I work out quite a bit and it's rare that I have a day that hits 1750. I have a 1300 base and I eat back most of my exercise calories. My TDEE is 2050 so -15% = 1742.
    4. I honestly don't think you are choosing the right foods if you are serious about wanting to lose weight. I also don't think you are accurate at weighing and/or gauging what you are eating. I am accurate other then the homemade desserts this week and i binged on fast food too. Stupid me!!!
    5. Cleaning the house is not exercise. I know, but it makes my TDEE higher.
    6. Considering you are lifting weights AND going over quite a bit on your diet, you could be bulking. I haven't been going over on my diet week after week.....
    7. No cardio? Yes, badminton once a week for 1.5hrs and a couple walks with my son in his stroller.
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat. I guess i should try more of a 15% cut even though LOTS of people say i shouldn't when i im so close to goal. Not sure what to do here.