I need to quit drinking to get healthy!

Options

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You said you drink 3-4 times a year.
    Another idea.
    Accept that you'll go over your calories the 3 or 4 times a year, that you can not control your drinking.
    Pick those 4 days, and stick with them. Deal with it.

when will they be ?
    You've already committed to this weekend. that's 1.

what's the other 3? .... choose wisely :)
    4th of July ?
    Labor Day ?
    Memorial Day ?
    Halloween ?
    Thanksgiving ?
    Christmas party ?
    Christmas ?
    New Years Eve ?
    New Years Day ?
    Super Bowl Sunday ?
    Your birthday ?
    Someone else's birthday ?
    "Just a random' party ?
    Going away party?
    Office party ?
    Retirement party ?
    Graduation ?
    Baby shower ?
    Bachelorette party?
    Wedding ?

'cause if you pre-plan your actions & choices, you'll more likely to suceed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I usually do log all foods.

No you don't - which is where your problem lies. And that's where your problem has always been. Every single time you have asked for advice on MFP the answer is always the same:

Track everything and be consistent.

You have trouble with that. So, you make threads to ask (in different ways) how to solve your problem of not seeing results. But no matter how you ask the question, the answer isn't going to change. Track everything - accurately - and be consistent.

Tracking everything means scanning barcodes, using entries or making them when necessary, even for baked goods and fast foods. Tracking everything means every bite you take, every single day, gets logged.

Being consistent means tracking every single day and sticking to a workout routine for an extended period of time. Being consistent also means sticking to your calorie goal. Every single day.

Once you can track everything (EVERYTHING) and be consistent for an extended period of time, you will see results. Until then, you will continue to be frustrated and jump to conclusions about things that are actually immaterial to your progress.

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    Okay, thanks. But can u tell me why some people lose weight without tracking? Not everyone tracks their food you know. I know i've lost weight without tracking - a year before i got pregnant. Pregnancy is the reason im having to lose again.
    Because those people have figured out what works for them.

You have not figured out what works for YOU.
    The point is, not logging everything is not working for YOU.
    Why continue to do the same thing, and expect different result ?
    simply wanting better will not make it happen. Your choices & actions will make it happen.

are you able to commit to :
    1- LOG everything, everyday. every holidays, every 'drinking day'
    2- REVIEW the data for accuracy, and see/accept in black and white the reality of your choices.
    3- LEARN what choices are not working. And which are.
    4-MAKE NEW choices and continue to LOG EVERYTHING.
    Repeat steps 1,2,3,4. Until you reach your goal.

good luck :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tim is always Black Forest Ham & Swiss. Subway is always 6" Ham with light mayo and veggies on wholewheat. I still don't see how im that bad at being over. Ive just looked at the report for last 30 days and YES there's a few days wayyy over goal but there are tons of day just little under/little over my 1750 goal and some days way under like 1300/1400. Why are people telling me that im wayyyy over and this is why im not losing weight?

1. You're quick adding so we can't possibly know what you are eating on a regular basis. Yes this week was bad and i did quick add some.
    2. In the last week you were WAY over. 3500+ over. Yep I certainly was but NOT the first 3 weeks of Oct.
    3. What is that 1750 based on? I work out quite a bit and it's rare that I have a day that hits 1750. I have a 1300 base and I eat back most of my exercise calories. My TDEE is 2050 so -15% = 1742.
    4. I honestly don't think you are choosing the right foods if you are serious about wanting to lose weight. I also don't think you are accurate at weighing and/or gauging what you are eating. I am accurate other then the homemade desserts this week and i binged on fast food too. Stupid me!!!
    5. Cleaning the house is not exercise. I know, but it makes my TDEE higher.
    6. Considering you are lifting weights AND going over quite a bit on your diet, you could be bulking. I haven't been going over on my diet week after week.....
    7. No cardio? Yes, badminton once a week for 1.5hrs and a couple walks with my son in his stroller.
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat. I guess i should try more of a 15% cut even though LOTS of people say i shouldn't when i im so close to goal. Not sure what to do here.

How far from goal are you?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Tim is always Black Forest Ham & Swiss. Subway is always 6" Ham with light mayo and veggies on wholewheat. I still don't see how im that bad at being over. Ive just looked at the report for last 30 days and YES there's a few days wayyy over goal but there are tons of day just little under/little over my 1750 goal and some days way under like 1300/1400. Why are people telling me that im wayyyy over and this is why im not losing weight?

1. You're quick adding so we can't possibly know what you are eating on a regular basis. Yes this week was bad and i did quick add some.
    2. In the last week you were WAY over. 3500+ over. Yep I certainly was but NOT the first 3 weeks of Oct.
    3. What is that 1750 based on? I work out quite a bit and it's rare that I have a day that hits 1750. I have a 1300 base and I eat back most of my exercise calories. My TDEE is 2050 so -15% = 1742.
    4. I honestly don't think you are choosing the right foods if you are serious about wanting to lose weight. I also don't think you are accurate at weighing and/or gauging what you are eating. I am accurate other then the homemade desserts this week and i binged on fast food too. Stupid me!!!
    6. Considering you are lifting weights AND going over quite a bit on your diet, you could be bulking. I haven't been going over on my diet week after week.....
    7. No cardio? Yes, badminton once a week for 1.5hrs and a couple walks with my son in his stroller.
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat. I guess i should try more of a 15% cut even though LOTS of people say i shouldn't when i im so close to goal. Not sure what to do here.

How far from goal are you?
    Only 10lbs. But even if just inches are lost and no weight, im totally cool with that. It's the reason i started Strong Lifts. To make my prepreg clothes fit again.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What the hell did I just read?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I don't know, I'm going to stick with my initial recommendation. Eat less, eat smart, move more.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

No you don't - which is where your problem lies. And that's where your problem has always been. Every single time you have asked for advice on MFP the answer is always the same:

You have trouble with that. So, you make threads to ask (in different ways) how to solve your problem of not seeing results. But no matter how you ask the question, the answer isn't going to change. Track everything - accurately - and be consistent.

Tracking everything means scanning barcodes, using entries or making them when necessary, even for baked goods and fast foods. Tracking everything means every bite you take, every single day, gets logged.

Being consistent means tracking every single day and sticking to a workout routine for an extended period of time. Being consistent also means sticking to your calorie goal. Every single day.

Once you can track everything (EVERYTHING) and be consistent for an extended period of time, you will see results. Until then, you will continue to be frustrated and jump to conclusions about things that are actually immaterial to your progress.

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

Dianna_this.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat. : I guess i should try more of a 15% cut even though LOTS of people say i shouldn't when i im so close to goal. Not sure what to do here.

NO

You should try actually tracking every bit of food and staying within your calorie allowance EVERY SINGLE DAY.

And seriously - using cleaning to increase you TDEE - this means you could be wrong with that amount. BUT you won't know unless you accurately log and stay at your calorie goal.

You know exactly what to do - you just choose not to do it.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat. : I guess i should try more of a 15% cut even though LOTS of people say i shouldn't when i im so close to goal. Not sure what to do here.
    NO

You should try actually tracking every bit of food and staying within your calorie allowance EVERY SINGLE DAY.

This. Track everything. Then learn from what actions, via reviewing your tracking data.

Consumption is the primary problem and the primary solution.
    Exercise is important, but secondary.

so, if you aren't tracking what you consume, you can't learn from your tracking to make better choices in the future.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

NO

And seriously - using cleaning to increase you TDEE - this means you could be wrong with that amount. BUT you won't know unless you accurately log and stay at your calorie goal.

I haven't chose anything yet. im reading all ur posts first, then i will chose. But i definately am going to try logging EVERYTHING and staying within calorie goal EVERYDAY. Except for this weekend. As for TDEE increases from cleaning. Um ya, of course my TDEE is gonna be higher on a day that im cleaning and running after my 2 year old. And TDEE is gonna be lower on a day that I sit in the office for 8 hours.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've missed you, Barbara.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

NO

I haven't chose anything yet. im reading all ur posts first, then i will chose. But i definately am going to try logging EVERYTHING and staying within calorie goal EVERYDAY. Except for this weekend. As for TDEE increases from cleaning. Um ya, of course my TDEE is gonna be higher on a day that im cleaning and running after my 2 year old. And TDEE is gonna be lower on a day that I sit in the office for 8 hours.

no exceptions.

lots of people track meticulously all week and then don't track on weekends. then they wonder why they aren't losing weight. the reason is that they are eating so much on weekends that they are wiping out the deficit they built up from Monday to Friday.

accurately track every day. eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose weight.
  • PRMinx
    Options

NO

Another except. You ALWAYS have an except...

I think you should be more conservative with your TDEE, especially since there are days you DO sit in an office for 8 hours.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

NO

OMG ....new information. Let me resynthesize my thought process...
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I support getting support for not drinking - not drinking alcohol is the best decision I made in my life :bigsmile:

try

Women for Sobriety

womenforsobriety.com

they have forums and chat on just about any topic and they are sisters who are very supportive ♥ goodluck!!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    i definately am going to try logging EVERYTHING and staying within calorie goal EVERYDAY. Except this weekend.

"Logging everything " YEAH! you rock ! No more head in the sand for you :)
    "staying within calorie goal EVERYDAY. Except this weekend. " YEAH! Because logging it is a major step towards your success.
    'Over days" happen'. The important thing is to track everything to see the complete picture.
    And not be selective and only log some days, but not other days.

Logging everything works for me~ so my weekly/monthly reports reflect reality.
    Powerful tool : Acknowledging the reality of my choices & my actions.

I'm so excited you're doing this !! to log your calories, including your weekend calories, even if it's just a 'quick add calories' of 3,500 or whatever.

you go, girl !
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

Dianna_this.gif

Okay done resynthesizing....NOPE, still ^this agggh.gif
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Honestly, Barbara, what is boils down to is hard work.

When you go to McD's for dinner, are you working hard?
    When you choose not to log, are you working hard?
    When you are strolling around the block with your 2 year old and calling it exercise, are you working hard?
    When you are sitting at a desk for 8 hours, are you working hard?
    Is an hour and a half of Badmitton a week really working hard?

Losing weight, getting fit, reaching goals...ANY GOAL...requires hard work. If it isn't hard, you aren't doing it right.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke thread!? 3-4 times per year!? YEAR!? Who cares, it's 3-4 days of going over calories!