LOW CARB DIET from today.- who's with me?

Options

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Why never again? Considering giving it a shot.

Ended up with terrible energy/endurance levels, cycling through weight loss and weight gain, and in the end, the only way to get the weight off anyway was...you guessed it...counting calories.

And the deprivations...omg...

If it works for others, that's totally cool, but I personally will never ever do it again.

Me either! I lost like crazy for the first couple weeks on it, and then gained back everything I lost plus some. It doesn't work for me, at all.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the most successful people on this site do not cut out entire food groups. Low carb diets are not sustainable. What, you're never going to eat carbs again? It's about lifestyle changes. Lower your caloric intake - don't cut out all carbs. Carbs are DELICIOUS!
  • ahalling81
    ahalling81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

A low carb diet can be as strict as you personally want it and depends a lot on your will power. The general rule I like to follow is:

No bread
    No pasta
    No rice
    No potato
    No junk

If you just follow this rule, the diet is bound to work but like I said it depends on your will power and personal preferences. You can still have legumes like lentils and chick peas in moderation but mainly focus on lean meats, salads, soups and if you like the taste and cant give up on pastas then I suggest looking into slim konjac pasta. Which is made from a vegetable and is an alternative to pasta.

I did an even stricter version of this also known as the Dukan diet in which I just ate chicken and fat free yogurt for about a month and lost just over a stone. But that was just too hard to stick to and I easily got bored and put the weight back on. Therefore, I added fruit and veg (avoiding carby fruit and veg such as potato and mangoes) into my diet with fresh fruit juice and chick peas in moderation. Also read food labels before having sauces and dips as they can included added sugars.

And please feel free to add me and join the group! :) x

Oh, gotcha. I feel that is too much of a diet and not much of a lifestyle change I can stick to. I like to carb cycle which still gives me the results I'm looking for but without the cravings of all of those things you don't eat on low carb. Either way different things work for different bodies. So, good luck!

I started to Carb cycle on Monday. What version do you do?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    when i'm not eating, i am very low carb. however, during meals and while snacking, i allow myself to eat carbs without counting or tracking them.

i figure i eat for perhaps 20-25 minutes per day in total, so for the other 23 hours and 35 minutes, i'm very low carb. would this count for your challenge? if so, i'm in!

I :heart: you.
  • valerievandiver
    Options
    :) I tried low carb for a month earlier this year and saw great results. Lost 10-15 pounds within a month. I would love to get back into it but feel like I need to be "mentored" through it or "guided". Anyone that knows what they're doing and could help me with my numbers/macros or whatever please add me!!! I wanna get this ball rolling again!!!

I concur, I am interested, but have little knowledge on where to start. Thanks!
  • Hi everyone,

From my excessive research and experiments on myself (LOL) I have come to know that a low carb diet works very well if not the best. Therefore, I think it is time to stop thinking and start doing! I am starting my low-carb diet from today (4th November 2013) and would love to have similar people as buddies and join my new group so we can all be on our way to a healthier, fitter and sexier new you! ;)

MY group: (search for this:) "Low Carb Dieters Start 4th November '13"

It would be great to motivate each other and share recipes and tips that work best for us all!

Around three years ago I did a similar diet and lost 14 kgs (22 pounds) in just 6 weeks! So if we can commit we can all do it!

Go for it the smartest thing you can do the only way you can fail is if you cheat ! No canned food I eat 3000 about calories a day and loose 5 lbs a mth by choice I could loose more if I wanted to but my goal is the right goal not a sickness like Mr. Knight 48 with bad knees weak and over weight I am 54 and love life I am more healthy than most 35 year olds and I can loose or gain as much weight as I choose and all I have to do I change my type of food intake because my goal is fat loose not the sickness that Dr treat and try to prevent many women from dying of the obsession of loosing weight is a sickness and your goal is spot on be healthy and loose fat retain lean tissue and be health and you will not have bad knees or weak joints because the muscles will be strong and the fat will be gone and your Dr bills will be lower ! a Win Win !

Just a foot note hear if you loose 22 lbs in 6 weeks you lost more muscle than fat and you will gain the weight right baack and if I had to guess you did + a few lbs weight loose ids a sickness fat loose is a healthy life style !

FAT loose not weight loose ! Weight loose = muscle loose and you still have the fat if you loose more than possibly max 6 lbs a mth loosing fat is a healthy life style change and for healthy people how are winners and dedicated to keeping fat of and get off the tread mill of the Weight loose sickness ! Be healthy loose fat not muscle !

My macros are 75% Protein 15% Carbs 10% fats and I can adjust that but eating 3000 calories a day I loose 5 lbs a mth and gain a little muscle every mth that shows Why will Mr. Negative Knoght not post a pic of his good eating habits sice he is so encouraging with a good luck I tried it and I am a faiilure ! He will not post a pic ! If you are on a clean strick high protein carb restricted diet and honest with yourself it is impossible not to work ! I have read many post on this forum and calorie counting is just a yo-yo it is starving I am talking about stuffing looking good and feeling good ! You make a life style change and take pics not count calories and in 6 mths you will get a natural high and be addicted to even cleaner eating and a more healthy life style !

Just another side bar here in my avatar I was 225 and that was in July now in November I am still reshaping my body and I am still dropping pants sizes faste than I can afford to buy them I have been buying belts instead ! lol If a 54 year old 100% disabled man can get to a fat loose point that I am stuck and not loosing weight anymore but still loosing FAT why will it not work for younger people with better metabolisims ! I am trying to figure out a way to loose the only fat I have left and that is the 1/4 to 1/8 inch between my flexors and that small fat pocket in front of my belly I have even lost the fat in y arms and have vascaularity up to my deltoids and this is all on 3000 calories a day and proper food intake ! as a matter of fact it is 12:23 here in GA an I think I will go make a choco protein shake with some honey in it to feed mt muscles I tore down working out to noight and at 54 I am at the gym do 20 rep with the same weights that young straping 25 to 30 year olds are doing 6 to 10 reps of trying to gain size and thsay ask me how I do it and I tell them the truth . . . . . healthy bodies are built 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the Gym ans then they ask me how old I am and I tell them 54 and 9 out of 10 times the very next words are either no way or BS ! Now to all you defeated loosers that can't loose weight counting calories ? PM me nd I will be happy to share my journey with you and all of the healthy good food you can eat and be stuffed + have to force yourself to eat and never be even a little bit hungery :)
  • imsnoozin
    imsnoozin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue- low carb works best for me, and I just happened to start mine yesterday too!!! Good luck!!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Add me! I have been successful with low carb before but always gain it back when I go back to eating everything again. I want to make it a lifestyle change but worry that I need those nutrients. I would like guidance. Thanks for starting this.

Now, see. This is why I question low carb. The reason you lose weight so fast is you deplete your glycogen stores (3 parts water, 1 part glycogen: which your body really really wants and needs to have). So unless you plan on never eating another slice of bread again, the minute you start eating carbs, your body replenishes its glycogen stores, and back comes on the weight. The majority of the weight lost is water, and you don't have any glycogen stores, and your body lies in wait (see what I did there) for the chance to replenish them.

Now, I have done low carb. And yes, I immediately dropped a lot of water weight. I think it has it's place if you are looking to lean out for a competition or photoshoot,etc. But sustainable? Not for me.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinions and ideas of how and what works and doesnt. Therefore o leave that upto you to go along with your ideas. I am merely giving suggestions to people to suggest what does work. If you look at research you will see the negative effects of white carbs (unhealthy) carbs such as rice pasta and bread whixh makes you gain weight so if you are just going to do calorie controlling you may lose weight but will not learn to eat the right foods for our body. Carbs are difficult to digest which then can cause it to come and stay on our tummy, thighs and other fatty areas of our bodies.

Wow. So much fodder here. So - what research are you referring to? And carbs difficult to digest?:huh: Yeah, that's why eating saltines is recommended after the stomach flu. And there is NO evidence that carbs stick to our tummy, thighs and other 'fatty' areas. teehee
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nope, not me
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds low carbing. I was not able to stick with it. I lost weight but I was miserable. I ended up gaining it all back when I started eating carbs again. The second time I chose to just count calories and eat a balanced diet. I lost 125 lbs doind this and I have maintained it for a year. Now I am healthy happy and ready to lose a few more pounds and focus on fitness.

The important thing to remember is to find something you can sustain. Gaining it back in my opinion meant that low carb wasn't for me. There are very few absolutes in this world, so I don't see why people would expect one way to be the solution for everyone.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

As far as Taubes, I have done other research his book was just the start. I've had years of personal experience and found that calories in/calories out does not help me. That's why I'm here looking for support from others who have the same needs. It appears that you don't - congratulations.

Ah the vaunted n=1 "evidence", so you do not gain or lose fatt based off of a caloric surplus/deficit? It all depends on the amount of carbs you eat? You can eat in a surplus, but low carb and lose fat just fine? Skeptical hippo
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i was on low carb for 8 years...wasted my life !!! went from 218lbs to 101lbs...now i am at 160lbs...my insides changed. never never will i do that to myself again.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Im on a Low carb (under 100 grams) for five days, and then I cycle my carbs and do High carbs on my heavier exercise days (Legs and HIIT). I don't cut anything out apart from processed food. Rice bread and potatoes are are great carbohydrate sources and cutting them out altogether is not (from what I've read and researched) a long term solution. The key is to cut out refined carbs like simple sugars and high GI foods which spike your insulin levels. I count my macros daily and follow a diet plan devised my a female fitness model - and I've seen results in less than 2 months!
  • Naxtor
    Options
    I just wanted to say good luck and I hope that you see the results that you are looking for.

9023460.png
  • Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a low carb diet i've started in october and i know i lost 3lbs in the first 3 days, but i'm not sure as of right now i'm not sure how much i lost if i did lose any more, but i lost some inches. but i will motivate u and my diary is open to my friends!
  • disnutt
    Options

As far as Taubes, I have done other research his book was just the start. I've had years of personal experience and found that calories in/calories out does not help me. That's why I'm here looking for support from others who have the same needs. It appears that you don't - congratulations.

Ah the vaunted n=1 "evidence", so you do not gain or lose fatt based off of a caloric surplus/deficit? It all depends on the amount of carbs you eat? You can eat in a surplus, but low carb and lose fat just fine? Skeptical hippo

What about you? How many n's are you working with? Isn't everyone here looking for their ideal plan? Yes, for my experiment the n=1 and calorie deficit alone does not work for me to sustain a weight loss. Reducing my carbs is working and I can imagine eating this way long term.

You assumed I was eating a surplus. I didn't say that. Simple calorie restriction doesn't work for me. I have to reduce my carbs and limit my calories. I can eat a higher number of calories than I could when using simple restriction but I don't eat a massive amount. I just don't feel as hungry when I'm not eating as many carbs. I don't get cravings for sweets like I used to.

Why don't you question the n=1 of those people who say low carb doesn't work? It sounds like low carb worked. It only quits working when they up their carbs. That seems to imply that eating carbs makes one gain weight. There aren't a lot of people saying it didn't work. Just a lot of people giving up on what was working. Maybe they didn't find the right low carb menus for satisfaction.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What about you? How many n's are you working with? Isn't everyone here looking for their ideal plan? Yes, for my experiment the n=1 and calorie deficit alone does not work for me to sustain a weight loss. Reducing my carbs is working and I can imagine eating this way long term.

If it doesn't work for you that's OK, too.

A lot more than 1, I lose fat exactly how everybody else does, a caloric deficit. I should add except apparently you, you do not need a deficit since the energy balance equation doesn't work for you
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a few months and lost weight. I did IIFYM for the rest of the time also lost weight. The initial weight loss in low carb is water weight because of glycogen being used and not replenished due to the nature of low carb. Pound for pound of FAT LOSS, there is no difference between low carb or anything else. All that's required to be successful in weight loss is a caloric deficit.
  • disnutt
    Options

If it doesn't work for you that's OK, too.

A lot more than 1, I lose fat exactly how everybody else does, a caloric deficit. I should add except apparently you, you do not need a deficit since the energy balance equation doesn't work for you

I edited my original post.

Apparently I and everyone in Sweden needs something different: http://www.examiner.com/article/sweden-s-new-national-dietary-recommendations-low-carb-low-glycemic-foods