LOW CARB DIET from today.- who's with me?

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I did it for a year.

Never again.

Good luck!

It works well for some. We had a customer in our health food store who says he does 30 carbs a day and he looks great.
    Me, I get horrible migraines when my carbs go too low. I tried low carbs twice. Both times at about the third or fourth day I end up with a migraine that lasts 4-5 days.

Good luck to the OP and all the others in the group!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    i was on low carb for 8 years...wasted my life !!! went from 218lbs to 101lbs...now i am at 160lbs...my insides changed. never never will i do that to myself again.

I posted earlier and this post made n=by this nice lady speakes eons ?

I used tro as in 30 + years ago Body build and since knowledge has changed a full 180* she stated her body changed ? As with myself this does happen with age and will happen to every one that is why blood work and knowing how to read it makes so much sense ! I have BW done every 3 mths and I am in the normal catogory every where except my kidneys and a little high there due to Opiates from a sever traua of being ran over by a truch and told I would never walk again well I ride a MTB 20 miles a day !

At age 54 I am on about 3000 calories a day , I eat every 3 hours , my biggest and heaviest carb meal is my am meal. My soal is a healthyone and from what I have read many people of this forum are of the opinion that when you loose weight you have reached your gaol and through ? Nothing could be further from the truth !

By the way thr obsession of loosing weight is a sickness and treated by Dr to save many peopls lives so have the proper mind set !

Your goal any and everyone's should be FAT loose and not WEIGHT loose the low carb or smart food diet is a life style change and yes if you stop the fat will return

WHY ? Because you never loose fat from your body short of liposuction ! You get all of the fat cells your body will ever have a keep when in the womb and during pubirity ! You will never loose these fat ceels you only shrink their size through exercise and healthy life styl ! That makes for a very simple and healthy food ingestion system and no calorie counting is needed when you are living a healty life style you need a garm of protien daily for every lb you weight or you will loose muscle and store fat so you need the protein and exercise to be healthy when you exercise you burn energy which is fat or carbs ! I eat 3000 calories a day give or take and I have lost a steady 60 lbs of fat over the past year and added about 20 lbs of muscle and I have made a healthy life style change ! At 54 I do not plan to go back to junk food , canned food or processed food , and yes I am human this Thanks Giving and Christmas I will cheat and eat a few simple carbs and I will gain an increase in the size of my fat ceels but with in 1 mth I will be right back under control and at my balanced endo system weight !

So for everyone ungup on weight loose and calorie counting you will loose weight and you will be a yo-yo chanpion you will fall off the wagon and gain it back and become depressed !

So why not be healthy study a lot don't take so mch from just this forum as fact read others and your own self health and wel being is your responsibility ! Make a healthy life style change and if what half the people on the forum state is a fact then I am a liar and ai will put my pic beside theirs any day and compare ! Skinny is not healthy healthy is lean and low BF% and weight is of no concern it is how you look in the mirror because muscle weights more than fat and according to the sick skinny people on this forum and my Dr who can't even read my BW I am obese ! 6 ft and 220 lbs ?

Look at my avatar and tell me that man is obese ! I am now gaining muscle and loosing fat slower so I am going to cut calories to 2500 a day and keep same macros ! I weight more now that I did in my avatar and I have dropp 2 inches more in my waist by looseing fat and mataing muscle ! If you loose 10 lbs a mth for 3 mths you are not loosing fat you are loosing muscle and holding fat so get off the weight loose tread mill and be healthy for life !

nvm. evacuating.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenance but I swapped from moderate carb/low fat to low carb/high fat at the weekend in an attempt to try to feel full as I've REALLY been craving carbs recently and IMHO carbs are the bad guys! Trying to cut right down on the sugar at the same time too.... so I'm a crabby cow at the moment! lol
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I can't do low carb, just low calorie. Good luck to you all who choose to!
  • Please add me, I have just been reading about carbs and how the wrong kind can make us fat and unhealthy!
    I would think there needs to be a balance?

A caloric surplus makes us fat.
    A caloric surplus makes you gain weight... Excess carbs increase insulin, insulin increases fat storage/decrease fat utilization
    [/quote

Wow what a simple way of stating ; get off the train and use your brain the body is a endo system and balanced gladuar activity effects weight and the food we ingest effects the way the glands work ! You can eat nothing but chicken Brown rice and sweet potatos and you will lean out and look like a super model in 60 day but who can eat just these 3 foods ? NOone so we eat food similiar to these and give ourselve varity and acheive that obtainable goal and never get hungery :explode:
  • Please add me, I have just been reading about carbs and how the wrong kind can make us fat and unhealthy!
    I would think there needs to be a balance?

A caloric surplus makes us fat.
    A caloric surplus makes you gain weight... Excess carbs increase insulin, insulin increases fat storage/decrease fat utilization

Are you saying protein does not increase insulin?
    If I was saying anything about protein I would have mentioned protein.
    But in terms of most low carb/keto plans moderate protein is stressed, with fat making up the greatest portion of calories by far.

Are you saying that if I eat a surplus of calories, where the majority of my intake comes from fat. I will not store fat?
    Nope... As long as you lift heavy, 100% of those excess calories will go towards building muscle ;-)

Not true and you know you are spamming ! I have not picked up a Dumb bell over 80 lbs in 30 years and do sets or 20 high reps and lower weight = more energy used = more calories burned and more reps means more blood flow and your muscles still grow and are more defined :sad:
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would love to have anyone add me. I am only doing 50 carbs a day. I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. I will be joining the group as well.
  • myprana
    Options
    What do you consider a low carb diet? I'm looking for support as I lower my carb intake, but was planning on striving for 120 grams a day. I don't think carbs are bad, I just have a habit of eating sugary foods with little nutritious value and would like to work on correcting this. Would your group be a good fit for someone like me?
  • hantms
    Options
    The main issue with low carb is that it works too well. ;)

Many low-carb diets advise on going virtually 'no carb' for the first two weeks or so. You lose such an incredible amount of weight, even when eating really large amounts of non-carb food (fatty, protein rich foods, meat specifically) that it's really tempting to just keep doing that.

This is very likely to cause gout, both because of purine-rich foods and because you metabolize body fat. (Applies specifically to men 40 years of age and up.

Then again, being considerably over weight isn't healthy either, so it may still be worth it. ;) Doesn't hurt to do uric acid blood tests though after a couple weeks and if that gets high then there's medications for that.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm not low low carb, but I try to keep them under 100 a day. Usually I'm in around 75-80 or so. I do it because I feel better and because it eliminates my sugar cravings. When carbs are my focus, by keeping them under 100 a day I don't really need to watch my calories. They naturally top out around 1300-1500 just because I'm watching the carb/sugar intake. I find it is an easy lifestyle to live.

Why do some people freak the heck out when people do what works for them? As long as it isn't dangerous, let people be.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    1004991_10151836402084118_588840314_n_zpsbd9d8738.jpg
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think Low Carb is the only plan that gets so much blame for weight gain when people STOP following the plan. It's actually funny to me.
    Me too, >90% of dieters go on to regain weight by reverting to pre-diet behaviours.

It might be worse with low carbers who have learned to love fat, so have access to more calories which when combined with carbs is a recipe for adiposity.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I'm not low low carb, but I try to keep them under 100 a day. Usually I'm in around 75-80 or so. I do it because I feel better and because it eliminates my sugar cravings. When carbs are my focus, by keeping them under 100 a day I don't really need to watch my calories. They naturally top out around 1300-1500 just because I'm watching the carb/sugar intake. I find it is an easy lifestyle to live.

Why do some people freak the heck out when people do what works for them? As long as it isn't dangerous, let people be.

That is a great reason to try to limit carbs.

People freak out on low carb diet comments when false or misleading information is used to promote it as superior. Low carb diets can be very effective and work for a lot of people. There are also a lot of people doing them based on some garbage information they were fed on the internet.
  • el012
    el012 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am going to try my hardiest. Right now I am at around 10 carbs.
  • KRoth416
    KRoth416 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im' in! I forgot my lunch yesterday so got home and ravenously raided the kitchen...SO I'm starting today for real! I sent FR and joined group!

I'm low carb based on ratios...I have my set calories and I'm eating 10% carbs 60% fats 30% proteins...that allows me to have 42 g carbs/day...for some low-carb diets that is technically high, but for someone who ate 200+carbs a day...for me thats low carb....what can i say, i love sweets and breads :'(
  • yarwell
    Options
    1. The proposed metabolic advantage (MA) for low carb diets is a hypothesis, not a fact
    2. There is inadequate data to support the MA hypothesis
    3. There is inadequate data to reject the MA hypothesis

The same can be said about the calorie deficit hypothesis. People in the UK are buying less calories and getting fatter. People on MFP regularly report they are eating next to nothing, exercising like nutters and losing no weight. A man eats 5000 calories a day of one macro mix and doesn't gain weight, then changes to a different mixc at the same calories and gains weight. Oh so confusing.

High carb diets seldom beat low carb in clinical trials, so they're worth a try especially for insulin resistant / obese people.

The interesting thing is why they attract so much bile and hate from shirtless men in mirrors.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    1. The proposed metabolic advantage (MA) for low carb diets is a hypothesis, not a fact

The same can be said about the calorie deficit hypothesis. People in the UK are buying less calories and getting fatter. People on MFP regularly report they are eating next to nothing, exercising like nutters and losing no weight. A man eats 5000 calories a day of one macro mix and doesn't gain weight, then changes to a different mixc at the same calories and gains weight. Oh so confusing.

High carb diets seldom beat low carb in clinical trials, so they're worth a try especially for insulin resistant / obese people.

The interesting thing is why they attract so much bile and hate from shirtless men in mirrors.

Probably from comments like the one that is bolded. Blanket statements with no backup or context.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So fat loss on low carb isn't achieved through a deficit? And the Feltham "experiment"? That was surely rigorously controlled.

Actually in the majority of both tightly controlled trials show no significant difference in fat loss between the diets. For ad lib and self reported intake trials it's about 50/50

The interesting thing to me is why low carbers live in a fantasy world and simply make things up, see Taubes, Jimmy Moore, etc
  • yarwell
    Options
    Probably from comments like the one that is bolded. Blanket statements with no backup or context.

bit like those from the anti camp, eh ? Differential standards of evidence. LOL.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/science lists 18 RCTs where low carb showed a better weight loss. I haven't studied them all in depth but I have no reason to think he's lying.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before and kept it off for 5 years with low carb diet. then started eating sugar and all the bad stuff and gained weight in the last 6 years. need to lose it all. Now trying to cut back on sugar and the "bad" carbs. I'd like to join this group and see how much I can lose.

Sounds like you might be, like me, a sugar and white flour addict. I would like to strongly recommend to you, that you do not fool yourself into thinking you can "cut back" on sugar and simple carbs. For those of us who are so addicted to it that we'd gain all our weight back by eating it (translate: bingeing on it), we'll never, ever be able to "handle" sugar and simple carbs, no matter how much we convince ourselves we can "cut back" on them. They will always, always, always, and I repeat, ALWAYS come back to get you.

Some of our brains respond to sugar and simple carbs differently than others' do. Studies are showing that, for some of us, sugar activates the pleasure center of our brains in the exact same way crack does to a crack addict. I highly recommend treating sugar and white flour as a crack addict would treat drugs, or an alcoholic would a bottle of vodka - run from it as fast as your legs will carry you...and do it permanently.

I realize that this is EXTREMELY difficult advice to swallow. Most people who are hooked on these types of foods will do anything to convince themselves this information does not apply to them. I recommend opening your mind and exploring this possibility for yourself. Be very, very honest with yourself.

Here are some clues you might be an addict:

1. I know I probably shouldn't keep sugary treats (like cookies) in the house, but I do anyway...just in case I need/want them.
    2. After eating a sugary treat, I immediately want another one.
    3. After eating that second sugary treat, I immediately want another one.
    4. After eating that third treat, I immediately want another one, but now I am starting to feel guilty. I say to myself, "no more cookies" but I really, really want one.
    5. Now I am obsessing about that next cookie I know I shouldn't eat. I can't stop thinking about it. I throw the bag of cookies in the trash to prove how strong I am.
    6. 30 minutes later I fish the bag of cookies out of the trash and proceed to eat the entire thing.

More clues:

1. I go out of my way to go to the grocery store, or bakery, or fast-food line to buy sugary treats or bread.
    2. I put the treats on the seat next to me on the car.
    3. I pull over somewhere where no one can see me, and proceed to inhale several of the treats or several slices of bread.

Still more:

People don't understand why I'm overweight. They see me eat small meals at work and they see that these meals often include fruit or vegetables. This is because I eat an entire pint of ice cream alone in my home where no one can see me. This is in addition to all the bread, cookies, pasta, Coke and other items I've already eaten in secret when no one was looking.

And lastly:

I have tried every day, over and over and over for years, to control eating these foods, to eat them in smaller quantities. I can do it for several days at a time, maybe even a couple months at a time, but eventually I fall right back into my old habits.

These are just a few of the signs. You might know more. Be honest....could this be you?