LOW CARB DIET from today.- who's with me?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Becuase your body NEEEDS carbs and SUGARS! JUST not an excessive amount and since I have no self control and can't limit my carbs I have to take baby steps and go from LOW carb intake to a mid HEALTHY range slowly over time, if that's okay with you?

Your body does need glucose but not dietary carbs, there is a difference.

i find you to be the most annoying person ive never met

Why? Because he deals in facts instead of opinions and conjecture?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    ! I am following "The Belly Fat Cure" carb swap system by Jorge Cruise.
    i just looked this up holy CRAP that's expensive. (aside from the fact that you can't target belly fat anyway)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see those rats choose the Oreos over the cocaine:laugh:

Me too. 'cause I read the study, and that was not what happened.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Becuase your body NEEEDS carbs and SUGARS! JUST not an excessive amount and since I have no self control and can't limit my carbs I have to take baby steps and go from LOW carb intake to a mid HEALTHY range slowly over time, if that's okay with you?

Your body does need glucose but not dietary carbs, there is a difference.

i find you to be the most annoying person ive never met

You tell him!
  • looseinpgh
    looseinpgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    add me I am starting as of today
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My mother's cardiologist told her if she would just cut her sugar and bread she would loose weight.
    ETS: I did Atkins and had great results It is a lifstyle change though. You can gain the weight back if you stray bu that is with anything you try. I will be starting back on the induction phase tomorrow also.

I also find that when I cut food out, especially that which is pretty calorie dense, I also can lose weight.
  • slimmingteacher
    Options
    Following a low carb diet you will notice that your calorie content naturally get lower and your appetite goes down. Foods which are high in protein such as chicken will fill you up and they contain reasonably amount of calories and if you continue it for a fortnight or so you will see your appetite going down and you will naturally stay under 1200cal a day. When I did my high protein diet I couldn't eat more than 800cals in the day. Not because I was starving myself; but because the high protein supressed my appetite and I lost a stone in just over two weeks.

Additionally, this post is not meant for debate but just a voluntary option of following a low carb diet with me, I did not force anyone as everyone have their own ideas of what works and what doesn't and I am in no position to be giving professional information. A low calorie diet just cannot work for me as eating bad carbs such as rice and bread may make you feel satisfied for a few hours but does not fill me up and I end up going over my calorie limit. whereas if I follow a low carb I naturally stick to my under 1000 calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Following a low carb diet you will notice that your calorie content naturally get lower and your appetite goes down. Foods which are high in protein such as chicken will fill you up and they contain reasonably amount of calories and if you continue it for a fortnight or so you will see your appetite going down and you will naturally stay under 1200cal a day. When I did my high protein diet I couldn't eat more than 800cals in the day. Not because I was starving myself; but because the high protein supressed my appetite and I lost a stone in just over two weeks.

Additionally, this post is not meant for debate but just a voluntary option of following a low carb diet with me, I did not force anyone as everyone have their own ideas of what works and what doesn't and I am in no position to be giving professional information. A low calorie diet just cannot work for me as eating bad carbs such as rice and bread may make you feel satisfied for a few hours but does not fill me up and I end up going over my calorie limit. whereas if I follow a low carb I naturally stick to my under 1000 calories.

I eat 160g+ protein per day much of the time - I can still eat a damn site more than 800 calories.

Why is rice a bad carb?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well this just gets better and better.
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

A low carb diet can be as strict as you personally want it and depends a lot on your will power. The general rule I like to follow is:

No bread
    No pasta
    No rice
    No potato
    No junk

Sounds truly painful. Good luck guys, I could never do it!
  • HaileyMarieOlson
    Options
    I've just started studying Nutrition, but I have to say that what I've researched is that low-carb diets are no-bueno. Your body goes into a carb-starvation mode, and as soon as you eat them again, your body compensates by overloading and you gain all the weight back, then some.
    Instead, try to limit fat and sugar, which your body can synthesize enough of itself, but can lead to weight gain if eaten in excess.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have been low carb since Feb. of this year and have lost 66 lb. so far.
    Would love to offer and receive support from like minded individuals!
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've just started studying Nutrition, but I have to say that what I've researched is that low-carb diets are no-bueno. Your body goes into a carb-starvation mode, and as soon as you eat them again, your body compensates by overloading and you gain all the weight back, then some.
    Instead, try to limit fat and sugar, which your body can synthesize enough of itself, but can lead to weight gain if eaten in excess.

This is bunk! Don't buy into it! Do the research yourself!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Limit fat? To how much? Isn't sugar a carb?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

You have a lot of mis-information here. There is no such thing as "carb-starvation mode". Your body does not compensate "by overloading" when you eat carbs again.

"The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Drs Phinney and Volek are good resources for those considering adopting low carb.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

You're talking about glycogen depletion and then the resulting upshift in weight when more carbs are re introduced (usually in an orgy of doughnut consumption) given increased fluid retention and glycogen I believe.

Carb starvation indeed...
  • sachdevaraj
    Options
    Count me in as well...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You have a lot of mis-information here. There is no such thing as "carb-starvation mode". Your body does not compensate "by overloading" when you eat carbs again.

"The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Drs Phinney and Volek are good resources for those considering adopting low carb.

Hmmmm so glycogen supercompensation is a myth?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

As an engineer - you know, someone that uses science all day, every day - I can assure you he's right.

Welp everyone...the engineer hath spoken. You heard him. Game over. ;)

Turns out there is no such thing as a sugar craving, nor addiction. Sugar and white flour don't in ANY way cause cravings, nor do they influence your brain to respond to it in such a pleasurable way that makes you want more of it. When you've eaten that cookie and you want another one and another one, it's really just that you're weak and stupid and have no self-control. Simple as that. There is absolutely, 100%, NOTHING going on biologically - not in your brain, nor your bloodstream - when you eat sugar. Your blood levels remain steady, your brain doesn't respond...it's all a big ruse created by looneys like me who want to sell you a bill of goods.

Oh, and when I personally stopped eating sugar and white flour I apparently did NOT stop craving my trigger foods after a couple weeks (even though I *felt* like it the cravings stopped - but apparently science contradicts the way I felt, so...my feelings must have been totally false - bummer). I did NOT lose weight because I had a new-found strength to stick to my calories since did not feel like eating baked goods all day long. No, I just suddenly, and without ANY reason whatsoever, stopped craving those things altogether because...well, just....because. Poof. It's that easy.

So what's your problem....right? ;)

Acg is correct when he states that the studies the other poster put forth don't actually support her position. We are not rats. As another mentioned, if we had the same physiology as rats, there'd be no need for further studies beyond initial rat trials. You know - science.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    9 pages? You guys can do better than that!!!