Thoughts on pepper spray?

Options
12346»

Replies

• 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail by myself with no pepper spray or weapons. I read up on how to break arms and legs and I took a self defense class.

Conditions have to be just right to have the pepper spray work in your favor...like, it has to be ready, you have to not panic and make sure you aim properly, the wind has to be right and you can't let it be used against you.

Women in our society are taught to be victims. Statistically, more people are hurt by people that know them and even supposedly "love" them rather than perfect strangers.

I highly recommend educating yourself on crime statistics in your area, taking a self-defense class (as that is one of the steps people can take that actually help) and letting a safe person know your running route/plan as a back up if you feel the need.

Best to you!
  • corridor7f
    Options
    I'm a bit wary of any tool or offensive weapon being used against me... plus, all the attacker has to do is pin your arms against your body and whatever you have can't be reached.

Better to train yourself in self-defense moves - kicking the shins / groin or a palm to the nose.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's not legal here in NY but I do like the idea of it. I take my 55 lb pit bull running with me, attackers don't need to know that she's a certified therapy dog and loves everyone and is a total spoiled baby :glasses:.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I should have noted in the original post that I run as part of my commute to work so taking a dog or a gun (I work on federal property) aren't options for me. The inspiration for the post was three drunk frat boys cat calling me at 4:30am on this morning's run. I think the common thread is a self defense class, which seems like a necessity whether you run with a dog (or a horse!), spray, gun, or just your wits.

You would use a pepper spray for street harassment? I'd run out of pepper spray - I get cat called/harassed almost every day.
    I don't actually think that in the eyes of the law, pepper spray is an appropriate response to cat calling.

I said that incident was the inspiration for the post, not that I would use it for "street harassment". And keep in mind harassment at 4:30 am from a group of drunk men on an otherwise empty street is a little different than cat calls running past the construction site at a busy intersection in the middle of the day. The potential for things to turn ugly is much greater in the former case than the latter.