No sugar

Options
Does anyone know how long it takes to stop craving sugar once you switch to clean eating?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What if I told you sugar is a carb?
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I imagine it would be different for everybody and would depend on if you ween yourself off or go cold turkey.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many calories you burn, how many carbohydrates are in your "clean eating" and so on. You may just be the type of person who has carb cravings. I can eat meat and buttered broccoli and spinach sauteed in bacon all day all year, but my girlfriend can barely go a week without needing chocolate.

"clean eating" doesn't necessarily mean low-carb or sugar. It just means no *ADDED* and processed sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss.

OP, you may never stop craving sugar. It's very personalized based on the person.
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not what I asked nomeejerome , but thanks
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss.

OP, you may never stop craving sugar.

This QFT!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Not what I asked nomeejerome , but thanks

Your body converts carbs to sugar. It is what you asked.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    Im not trying to lose weight from not eating sugar, just trying to cut out the sugar that isn't coming from my natural foods.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 days to get phyically out of your system. The craving should go away pretty quickly once you stop but be careful with hidden sugars. You might get awful headaches during the withdrawal process. I eat no more than 28 grams of sugar a day. Feel Free to check out diary. Good Luck, It will be one of the best things you will do :)
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    Thank You Kevidona!!!! I appreciate the answer. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It takes 3 days to get phyically out of your system. The craving should go away pretty quickly once you stop but be careful with hidden sugars. You might get awful headaches during the withdrawal process. I eat no more than 28 grams of sugar a day. Feel Free to check out diary. Good Luck, It will be one of the best things you will do :)

Where did you get that information because your body is constantly balancing sugar? This is why you have a blood/sugar level.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    "And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss. " <
    I bet lowering sugar intake would indeed aid in weight loss. Just sayin'
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    I've done raw vegan and high protein low carb, nothing stops me craving g sugar , I give up on that :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    "And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss. " <

What? I eat all the sugar and it hasn't stalled me. I don't get it
  • psuLemon
    Options

How so? It takes 3500 calories to lose a lb of fat. That is the proven science. It doesn't suggest which macro nutrient it needs to come from. So if you maintain the same caloric deficit, how is lowering sugar going to improve fat loss? I would love to see science. If you want to see my science, read the below.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I never tracked a gram and it never stopped my weightloss....... :drinker:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes to stop craving sugar once you switch to clean eating?
    Why not have sugar in moderation? I eat ice cream everyday and have lost 123lbs and am perfectly healthy. There's really no need to deprive yourself.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    4 Days is usually right on for me, I eliminated all flours and sugar and once past day 4 I feel terrific and have no cravings.

I should say "refined sugars" though, I do eat fruit but in moderation
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard you try not to eat sugar, your body will happily turn most of the calories you eat directly into sugar.

Eat sugar. Enjoy it. It's fine.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    It doesn't matter how long it takes or if it ever stops, I was asking just to find out information. My reasons for cutting out sugar aren't based on weight loss. I'm trying to feel better and cutting out sugar will help that. I understand that means processed foods as a lot of them have sugars as well as other items we eat that we wouldn't think have added sugar. I don't care that my body turns carbs into sugar my only point is that I'm not adding sugar to my diet with candy, sodas, or processed foods that have hidden sugar. It's not about helping with weight loss for me, this is just a personal choice I'm making.