No sugar

Options

Replies

• tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    4 Days is usually right on for me, I eliminated all flours and sugar and once past day 4 I feel terrific and have no cravings.

I should say "refined sugars" though, I do eat fruit but in moderation

Refined sugars is what I'm talking about... Thank You.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 days to get phyically out of your system.

This means literally nothing.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes to stop craving sugar once you switch to clean eating?
    Why not have sugar in moderation? I eat ice cream everyday and have lost 123lbs and am perfectly healthy. There's really no need to deprive yourself.

I'm not doing it to aid in weight loss. Congrats on your weight loss though :)
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OP, I feel like some of the answers were not what you were looking for. Many were correct.
    If you are wanting to stop using sugar all together, then it can take a little while for your body to "detox" if you will. I've done it for various reasons before. But once I replaced the not so good stuff for ME (I said me b/c that's what my body did not need) with the better choices, I did well.
    Personally, I never stop craving carbs/sugar. I just like them too much. But I do understand where you are coming from.
    I hope that was helpful! :wink:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    4 Days is usually right on for me, I eliminated all flours and sugar and once past day 4 I feel terrific and have no cravings.

You think your cells can tell whether the glucose molecule that just brought in was from a banana or stick of gum?

They can't.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    OP, I feel like some of the answers were not what you were looking for. Many were correct.
    If you are wanting to stop using sugar all together, then it can take a little while for your body to "detox" if you will. I've done it for various reasons before. But once I replaced the not so good stuff for ME (I said me b/c that's what my body did not need) with the better choices, I did well.
    Personally, I never stop craving carbs/sugar. I just like them too much. But I do understand where you are coming from.
    I hope that was helpful! :wink:

Thank You... it was!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sugar in my mind is the devil. The food industry goes to great lengths to put all that sugar in our food.

I know people say it doesn't matter .. but really it does. Anything we can do to reduce the amount of sugar we eat (mostly from processed foods) .. is a good thing. Natural sugar .. ie from fruits are just fine as far as I am concerned. It is the added stuff that they put in our food that is the bad sugar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cognitive dissonance
  • tabitha2770
    Options

You think your cells can tell whether the glucose molecule that just brought in was from a banana or stick of gum?

They can't.

It's just a personal choice.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    Sugar in my mind is the devil. The food industry goes to great lengths to put all that sugar in our food.

I know people say it doesn't matter .. but really it does. Anything we can do to reduce the amount of sugar we eat (mostly from processed foods) .. is a good thing. Natural sugar .. ie from fruits are just fine as far as I am concerned. It is the added stuff that they put in our food that is the bad sugar.

Thank You
  • spangler1972
    spangler1972 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes to stop craving sugar once you switch to clean eating?

Two weeks is a good rule of thumb when you're trying to change habits. There's a psychological element involved, whether it's something that you do every day, or if you find yourself eating two pounds of tootsie rolls in a sitting. It takes a little while to get used to a new pattern.

It sounds like you're trying to make some diet changes to break bad habits. If you are, good luck to you. Keep working at it, and you'll figure out what works. There are a lot of paths to success.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    IMG_9793-600x399.jpg

The sugar in the banana and cherry is good for you, but the rest of the sugar in the same bite is bad for you, even though they're the same molecules.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

They can't.

i think by "refined", she meant "well-mannered". you know... standing when a female molecule enters the room, holding the door open for female molecules, pulling out the chair for a female molecule when taking her out to dinner... that sort of thing.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP question, I agree with the 3 days number. That's about how long it took me to break the sugar cycle. Like another poster said, I had headaches and felt lousy until I powered my way through. After that I felt a LOT better.

As someone else said, don't replace sugar with other refined carbs like pasta or white bread. Your body treats it basically the same as sugar.

There's a lot of truth in posts here but people are also missing some key information. A calorie is a calorie, true. But if you eat refined carbs, they will have a faster effect on your blood sugar than complex carbs (AKA "Glycemic Index").

I realize how sugar affects you is a personal thing. Speaking for myself, I find I get a "sugar high" of sorts after eating refined carbs - a happy feeling with a short-lived energy boost as my blood sugar spikes. A short time afterward, I feel sluggish and grumpy as my blood sugar crashes (the afternoon slump after lunch), and I'm strongly craving sugar, pasta, cake, whatever to get my sugar level up again (the afternoon "pick me up"). It turns into a vicious cycle - the "Sugar Roller Coaster". Over the course of a day, this leads to a lot of calories being ingested to keep the roller coaster moving.

So eliminating sugar (refined carbs) can help you lose weight because it breaks that cycle, cuts the cravings and helps you get back in control of how many calories you're eating.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, usually after a few days it is 'better'

but like I said, everyone is different, something to remember, I try to limit my sugar regardless of what everyone says about it b/c one thing of candy, or something sweet, even in moderation is enough to send me into a spiral and I can't control myself and I want to eat the whole damn cake! it's just easier to not have it in the first place lol
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    To answer the OP question, I agree with the 3 days number. That's about how long it took me to break the sugar cycle. Like another poster said, I had headaches and felt lousy until I powered my way through. After that I felt a LOT better.

As someone else said, don't replace sugar with other refined carbs like pasta or white bread. Your body treats it basically the same as sugar.

There's a lot of truth in posts here but people are also missing some key information. A calorie is a calorie, true. But if you eat refined carbs, they will have a faster effect on your blood sugar than complex carbs (AKA "Glycemic Index").

I realize how sugar affects you is a personal thing. Speaking for myself, I find I get a "sugar high" of sorts after eating refined carbs - a happy feeling with a short-lived energy boost as my blood sugar spikes. A short time afterward, I feel sluggish and grumpy as my blood sugar crashes (the afternoon slump after lunch), and I'm strongly craving sugar, pasta, cake, whatever to get my sugar level up again (the afternoon "pick me up"). It turns into a vicious cycle - the "Sugar Roller Coaster". Over the course of a day, this leads to a lot of calories being ingested to keep the roller coaster moving.

So eliminating sugar (refined carbs) can help you lose weight because it breaks that cycle, cuts the cravings and helps you get back in control of how many calories you're eating.

thank you...Im not a pasta eater at all and I very rarely eat bread and if I do it's whole wheat and I check the label to be sure there is no white flour. I don't care so much that my body is getting sugar from some things, I'm just trying to make healthier choices to make MYSELF feel better. Thank You for the advice.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I cut out refined sugars and only get sugar from fruit. I do not eat processed foods and I stick to good carbs like no white breads or white rice, white pasta, ect. When going through this change it took about 2 weeks before I stopped wanting chocolate. Now I do not miss it one bit. I hope this helps, it may be different for you but this is my experience.
  • tabitha2770
    Options
    I cut out refined sugars and only get sugar from fruit. I do not eat processed foods and I stick to good carbs like no white breads or white rice, white pasta, ect. When going through this change it took about 2 weeks before I stopped wanting chocolate. Now I do not miss it one bit. I hope this helps, it may be different for you but this is my experience.

What you did is exactly what I'm trying to do also. Thanks a bunch!
  • jonnythan
    Options

thank you...Im not a pasta eater at all and I very rarely eat bread and if I do it's whole wheat and I check the label to be sure there is no white flour. I don't care so much that my body is getting sugar from some things, I'm just trying to make healthier choices to make MYSELF feel better. Thank You for the advice.

Your mistake is thinking that eliminating sugar is "a healthier choice."
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I stopped all added sugar ( for reasons that have nothing to do with MFP or weight loss) the first week of April this year and after a first difficult weeke I have not have had sugar cravings since the later part of April until now.