No sugar

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not sure how you think processed/refined sugar is different than naturally occurring sugar.

duh. it's...

shia_gif_.gif
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cutting out refined sugars. It serves no benefit to eat them.

These are both incorrect statements. There is something wrong with cutting out refined sugars. The danger is the same danger as cutting out any nutrient entirely. When you point to a bunch of foods you love, and say that these foods are bad for some bogus reason, and promise never to eat them again, you are setting yourself for catastrophic failure. By implementing a rigid, nonsensical rule like "No sugar" you instantly pit your willpower against your desire unnecessarily.

Most people can only hold out so long before they give in and eat that Snickers bar. When they do, even if the Snickers fit into their macro profile for the day and is perfectly fine, they are a "failure" because they violated their arbitrary "No sugar" rule.

Sugar is also beneficial. Extremely so. I literally bring little packets of sugar juice when I go mountain biking. Snickers are my food of choice when I need long-term energy for hiking and caving. I make sure to get some refined sugar into my system through a protein bar or candy bar about an hour before any workout, because it increases my performance.

There are dangers to eliminating food groups from your diet for no reason, and sugar is indeed beneficial.

And that's fine............for you. I would hope you would know that not everyone has the same mind set as you though. I take bananas, Clif Bars, and plain water with me on my rides. Works just fine. Still get the sugar, and nothing refined (mind you i'm not against refine sugars). When I started my journey, I cut out fried foods. Don't crave them at all anymore. Don't eat them. So Iguess we will have to agree to disagree that my statements are incorrect, however, I do agree they are incorrect when talking about you.

Also, I was unaware that refined sugar was a food group. Learn something new everyday.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    That's your opinion. You are definitely welcome to it. I've seen articles and what not that say exactly what you are saying and exactly the opposite. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist so I don't really know for sure.

I haven't ever found an article that shows any benefits of refined sugar either...have you?

I don't base my opinions on "articles."

Please do enlighten me then on how you know for sure? I would love to see some proof.

Read the edit above.

I realize the benefits of sugar. I am asking specifically about refined sugars since that is what the OP is about and is apparently a trigger for some to debate if one wants to cut them out.

I am confused by what you're wanting here... Do you want a molecular breakdown and comparison of "refined" sugar (white sugar, honey, corn syrup, etc.) vs. "natural" sugar (inherently present in fruits, veggies, milk, etc.)? I guess I'm not sure how you think processed/refined sugar is different than naturally occurring sugar. Sugar is sugar is sugar. We can break it down into a comparison of glucose/sucrose/fructose/etc. ... But I think you'll find that the the differences are marginal, at best.

I believe sugar is sugar as well so no, I wasn't looking for any of that molecular science mumbo jumbo. All I was getting at was that there are 0 benefits to eating refined sugar so so what if someone wants to cut them out? Why does it have to be debated anyway when it isn't even relevant to the OPs question.

I disagree. I think there are benefits to eating refined sugar in that I also think there are benefits to eating carbs (which is the macro that sugar falls under). There's some science mumbo jumbo behind that statement, but we won't get into that since it doesn't interest you.

Besides the above mentioned benefits, there's an added benefit that the person who is consuming sugar is deriving a certain amount of joy from it. Let's get back to the OP's question, shall we? Obviously it's something she enjoys or she wouldn't be jonesing for it. What some of the other posters have been trying to say is that instead of mentally suffering through some so-called "sugar withdrawal," the OP could just ... eat sugar in moderation and not get all orthorexic about it.

You argue that the merits of sugar are not relevant when the OP just wants to know when the sugar-demon will get off her back. But based on the science (which, again, you're apparently not interested in) behind the merits and failings of sugar, all of this anguish that she's suffering is in her head. That is why this discussion is relevant to the OP's question.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars
    nothing refined

turbo_facepalm_by_specialvore-d69viv5.png
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Why does everything on here turn into a debate? It gets so old. The OP wants to cut out sugar....so what? She doesn't need a reason that anyone else approves of.

AMEN!
  • maliawarren
    maliawarren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    While you are correct in it's effect on weight loss vs macros and calorie burn, I think the OP is trying to eliminate it from her diet. It doesn't matter "if it fits your macros"... sugar has OTHER detrimental effects on the human body than weight loss/gain. People with PCOS, Hypo/Hyperthyroid, hormonal imbalances, etc. have a HARD TIME with large (even smaller) amounts of sugar and carbs. Their bodies dont process it the same as people who dont have these issues. Reducing sugar and carb intake is vital for people with these diseases/illnesses/issues (whatever you want to call it) to be able to ATTEMPT to lose any weight.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's just sugar and sugar is a food so it's fine. I'm not going there like I did with the very low fat thing for ages. I'll have a bit of anything I like from now on.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    While you are correct in it's effect on weight loss vs macros and calorie burn, I think the OP is trying to eliminate it from her diet. It doesn't matter "if it fits your macros"... sugar has OTHER detrimental effects on the human body than weight loss/gain. People with PCOS, Hypo/Hyperthyroid, hormonal imbalances, etc. have a HARD TIME with large (even smaller) amounts of sugar and carbs. Their bodies dont process it the same as people who dont have these issues. Reducing sugar and carb intake is vital for people with these diseases/illnesses/issues (whatever you want to call it) to be able to ATTEMPT to lose any weight.

People with peanut allergies have a HARD TIME eating peanuts.

Does that mean people without peanut allergies should avoid peanuts?
  • maliawarren
    Options
    What if I told you sugar is a carb?

And there is no reason to fear it and lowering sugar will not improve weight loss.

OP, you may never stop craving sugar.

This QFT!!

• Hornsby
    Options
    That's your opinion. You are definitely welcome to it. I've seen articles and what not that say exactly what you are saying and exactly the opposite. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist so I don't really know for sure.

I haven't ever found an article that shows any benefits of refined sugar either...have you?

I don't base my opinions on "articles."

Please do enlighten me then on how you know for sure? I would love to see some proof.

Read the edit above.

I realize the benefits of sugar. I am asking specifically about refined sugars since that is what the OP is about and is apparently a trigger for some to debate if one wants to cut them out.

I am confused by what you're wanting here... Do you want a molecular breakdown and comparison of "refined" sugar (white sugar, honey, corn syrup, etc.) vs. "natural" sugar (inherently present in fruits, veggies, milk, etc.)? I guess I'm not sure how you think processed/refined sugar is different than naturally occurring sugar. Sugar is sugar is sugar. We can break it down into a comparison of glucose/sucrose/fructose/etc. ... But I think you'll find that the the differences are marginal, at best.

I believe sugar is sugar as well so no, I wasn't looking for any of that molecular science mumbo jumbo. All I was getting at was that there are 0 benefits to eating refined sugar so so what if someone wants to cut them out? Why does it have to be debated anyway when it isn't even relevant to the OPs question.

I disagree. I think there are benefits to eating refined sugar in that I also think there are benefits to eating carbs (which is the macro that sugar falls under). There's some science mumbo jumbo behind that statement, but we won't get into that since it doesn't interest you.

Besides the above mentioned benefits, there's an added benefit that the person who is consuming sugar is deriving a certain amount of joy from it. Let's get back to the OP's question, shall we? Obviously it's something she enjoys or she wouldn't be jonesing for it. What some of the other posters have been trying to say is that instead of mentally suffering through some so-called "sugar withdrawal," the OP could just ... eat sugar in moderation and not get all orthorexic about it.

You argue that the merits of sugar are not relevant when the OP just wants to know when the sugar-demon will get off her back. But based on the science (which, again, you're apparently not interested in) behind the merits and failings of sugar, all of this anguish that she's suffering is in her head. That is why this discussion is relevant to the OP's question.

That's a good answer. I like it. And for the record, I called in mumbo jumbo as a joke. I would hope that everyone would know that. Guess not.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    snip

That's a good answer. I like it. And for the record, I called in mumbo jumbo as a joke. I would hope that everyone would know that. Guess not.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well in a forum :P Sorry. I figured you were being a little silly, but hey... you never know!
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Thank You, I do have PCOS.
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It took me a month or so. But I use the sweetleaf stevia liquid. It is all natural, from a plant and comes in lots of yummy flavors...
  • maliawarren
    Options

I'm so confused as to why you replied with this. Do you have hypothyroid? Diabetes? PCOS? Had a kid recently? All these issues and more have an effect on what we can and shouldn't put in our bodies. These issues make it extremely hard for someone to lose weight. I was simply providing an alternative answer to the OP.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Why does everything on here turn into a debate? It gets so old. The OP wants to cut out sugar....so what? She doesn't need a reason that anyone else approves of.

Because she isn't the only one on MFP reading these threads and regardless to whether she wants to listen to those of us advocating that eating a well balanced diet can also include some discretionary items that contain the horrid SUGAR monster!! that there are others (Newbies) that are easily influenced and we just want to make sure both sides are represented..... Plus the whole thing that this is a public forum and we have just as much right to post what we see fit thing kinda applies..........
    All of this. Just because you post a thread doesn't make it your private property and a safe haven to promote bad ideas.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I'm so confused as to why you replied with this. Do you have hypothyroid? Diabetes? PCOS? Had a kid recently? All these ossues and more have an effect on what we can and shouldn't put in our bodies. These issues make it extremely hard for someone to lose weight. I was simply providing an alternative answer to the OP.

I replied because none of those things you mentioned have any relevance unless you actually have one of those conditions. There has been zero indication until just now that the OP or anyone else had one of those conditions.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It is all natural, from a plant

Sounds like sugar. ;)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I'm so confused as to why you replied with this. Do you have hypothyroid? Diabetes? PCOS? Had a kid recently? All these ossues and more have an effect on what we can and shouldn't put in our bodies. These issues make it extremely hard for someone to lose weight. I was simply providing an alternative answer to the OP.

I have type 2 diabetes and eat sugar everyday, it hasn't caused any problem with my weight loss....... or my diabetes for that matter.... A1c have been at 5.3 for over 2 years now down from 10.0 when first diagnosed in 2009
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is all natural, from a plant

Sounds like sugar. ;)

Pure cane sugar in my morning coffee!! Nothing better..... :drinker:
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Clif Bars
    nothing refined

turbo_facepalm_by_specialvore-d69viv5.png

I was under the impression that Clif Bars didn't use refined sugars. If I'm mistaken, my apologies.