Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lighten up Francis. She's not dealing meth to children.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Recently Congressman Louie Gohmert said that "Blaming this [shooting] on guns is like saying the big problem with obesity is we've got too many spoons. It's not the spoons, it's not the guns. It's the people who have them."

I would say in a similar fashion that just because pastry can kill you and just because obesity kills more people than guns every year doesn't mean that you're an arms dealer. I do think however it's your right to be a conscientious objector and avoid the party. Your friend needs to be made aware of all the pain that pastry treats can cause if not used correctly. Make sure they know.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Its worse! Do you even know what sugar does? Its addicting and your body doesn't need it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Stand your ground! Don't attend the party and if you have to just throw all the treats in the trash. You will be saving lives by ridding the party of deadly sugar.

Thanks for the support! I don't know if throwing the stuff away if that would look so good. It's on a Friday afternoon so maybe I can take some PTO and miss it ya know?
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    No food is bad. Desserts do not make people fat. People eating too much make people far.

Your friend is not "contributing to the obesity crisis". Many people eat pastries without putting on weight.

Chill out. You are overthinking this.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    You should kill her to save the others. It's the right thing to do.

Killing is a bit extreme. You should do two things: Throw all the party treats in the garbage before the rest of your coworkers can do irreparable harm to themselves by eating them. Then smash her hands with a hammer. Can't make pastry with broken hands.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't know the harm it causes?

I suggest you send her a few pamphlets on the evils of pastry and perhaps she will reconsider this decision.

Oh...definitely this. I'm sure there are quite a few people on here willing to write pamphlets on the evils of pastry for you to send along to her... They'll be sure to have lots of links to detox cleanses and Dr. Oz, too! :P
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Its worse! Do you even know what sugar does? Its addicting and your body doesn't need it.

And it requires a cleanse after ingesting - which is in itself dangerous and uncomfortable.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Gourmet pastries are not causing the obesity epidemic. Please do ease up.

These desserts tend to be smaller, and more expensive. This allows people to satisfy their sweet tooth with a small, high quality treat. It's the best way to go, if you ask me.

Desserts and sugar are not evil. I eat them every day in moderation and the weight is falling off. I have no health issues either.

Please also look up orthorexia, it's a dangerous mental trap that many dieters can fall into. Just because a diet may be physically healthy, it doesn't mean it is mentally healthy.

EtA: 2 decades hence, I did have an eating disorder (as a preeteen, I was living on 600 call a day and had banned all sugar from my diet) I am familiar with mental hangups regarding food.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't think her profession is immoral or unethical. In addition to learning how to make more caloric types of desserts she will likely also learn how to make lighter and healthier versions, and things like poached pears. I like to go out for a nice dinner which includes dessert once or twice a month and if there were no pastry chefs, then I wouldn't enjoy those meals nearly as much. It's the stuff that people eat day after day that is making people unhealthy, like drinking massive amounts or soda, eating huge bags of chips and buying cheap factory-made desserts.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eat the pastries, but then Enema & Cleanse.

Also, leave her passive aggressive notes all over the office until she leaves.

Wretched woman.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    How is she going to be contributing the obesity epidemic? She isn't going to tie people down and force them to eat her pastries. Is she?

I would be very said if there were no more pastries in the world. I think you need to lighten up and congratulate her.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Wk6s68f.png
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It's much worse. Meth addiction has rehabs and is taken seriously, but sugar addiction (fueled by pastries and the like) is scoffed upon and often those who suffer are left without help! Think of the children that may start down a dark path of twisted sugary desire started by this one callous person's pastry?
  • ryry_
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't know the harm it causes?

I suggest you send her a few pamphlets on the evils of pastry and perhaps she will reconsider this decision.

That's actually not a bad idea. Is there a place I can order them? Maybe drop one on her desk?

I thought about emailing this link to her but didn't want to be so direct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    This cannot be real............ She is going with her passion. Who are you to judge her. Yes you're judging her. I would LOVE to become a pastry chef. Hell it's art and it's beautiful. She's making treats that are delicious. She is not forcing anyone to eat her treats. She learning a trade. SHE IS NOT CONTRIBUTING TO THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC. How callous thinking of you. I could keep going on about how tactless this thinking of. Desserts do not make people fat. People not understanding their body and how much they should or should not eat is what's contributing to the epidemic. Also, she's probably using pure ingredients. you don't know what path she might take.

Without chefs we wouldn't have such a variety of food. If you're telling people to eat raw and vegan and blah blah blah you're just being mean.

Congratulate your friend or don't if you're going to judge her for no F'in reason
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    emperor-hate.jpeg
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Just because she prepares pastries doesn't mean she is causing obesity. And to compare this to smoking cigarettes is RIDICULOUS. I definitely wouldn't attend because YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FRIEND! Skinny people eat pastries! People who workout do to. Why are you being judgmental? WHAT A HATER!!
  • ryry_
    Options
    Congratulate her , she is in work , not a mass murderer , no one is forcing any one to over eat what she will be making , lighten up :)

Of course she is not forcing people...But opportunity leads to that desire