Wedding Ring Debate

Options

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If it's a big deal to her and not to you, just give in. However, my husband doesn't wear his ring very often, and it doesn't bother me in the least.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well (and I don't know how true this is) I heard that you wear the ring on the ring finger because there is a vein in that finger that runs straight to the heart. Wearing the ring on that finger is symbolic of the connection between yourself and your spouse.

It is true. But all veins run to the heart. And all fingers have veins.

Yeah but veins branch into other veins. It was my impression that this one doesn't connect to any other veins.
  • kreene1987
    kreene1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It matters to her, and that's what matters. Remember marriage isn't for you, its for making her happy. Get the ring resized and go on with life.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I will say this. If you don't care either way, then it's not worth hurting her feelings over. You've talked about your wife before and I know you love her. It's worth sac riding a conversation piece to make her happy.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I wear 2 rings; a standard wedding ring on my left hand, and a claddagh on my right. For a couple years, I wore neither, because they didn't fit. Well, I lost enough weight to start wearing them again, but then something happened; I kept losing weight and now they are too big. They were spinning around, falling off - I've had to fish 'em out of the disposal, trash at work, etc ..

Well here's the debate. To solve this issue, I started wearing them on my middle fingers instead of my ring fingers. My wife however, is insisting that I get them resized so that I can wear them on the correct fingers, but I've decided I kind of like them on the "wrong" fingers. (I have to say I kind of like the .. "Hey, what's up with the rings?" .. well, I used to weigh over 300 .. "nooo ****. wow.") This debate has not gotten heated, nor do I think it will .. it just exists, and comes up from time to time.

So anyway I figured I would post the question here because MFP'ers tend to be quiet and reserved in their opinions, and will treat me gently, with dignity and respect.

Does it REALLY matter which finger you wear the ring on?

Explain your reasoning to her. It might be enough to make her understand. I just got a rubber tube thingie to help mine stay in place, but I'll have to get them resized or switch to another finger before much longer. My husband is just happy when I actually wear my wedding band and engagement rings since I've been freaked out about losing them.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is even an issue for you. There is about 1 million things a guy must do to ensure your woman feels happy and secure and we, as men, don't understand 99.9% of them. This is in the0.1% of things that is freaking easy! Do it!

It's not even a big issue for me. I wouldnt resize the wedding band, I'd just buy a new one, but - I don't want to touch the claddagh. And I can't really explain why to myself, nevermind to all y'all ...

I think that is a good idea. The wedding ring should be the only one that matters anyway.

Agree that the claddagh ring doesn't really matter. Just deal with the wedding ring.

I posted earlier. The claddagh does matter. more than the wedding band.

does it matter to her just as much as it matters to you?
    just curious

when you have two people in a relationship, and both are heavily invested in differing opinions - you have a tough spot.
    when one is invested in something, and the other is not... the decision is easy.

you wrote your OP as if you are not as invested, so the decision should be easy... the non invested party moves over to the invested party's side.

you write subsequent responses as if you are just as invested, but we don't necessarily understand why.

does she need BOTH rings resized? Would she be happy with one of them being resized? would you wear a smaller one in front that would keep the wedding / claddagh ring on without needing to be resized?

what are you willing to do to meet her halfway?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I wear 2 rings; a standard wedding ring on my left hand, and a claddagh on my right. For a couple years, I wore neither, because they didn't fit. Well, I lost enough weight to start wearing them again, but then something happened; I kept losing weight and now they are too big. They were spinning around, falling off - I've had to fish 'em out of the disposal, trash at work, etc ..

Well here's the debate. To solve this issue, I started wearing them on my middle fingers instead of my ring fingers. My wife however, is insisting that I get them resized so that I can wear them on the correct fingers, but I've decided I kind of like them on the "wrong" fingers. (I have to say I kind of like the .. "Hey, what's up with the rings?" .. well, I used to weigh over 300 .. "nooo ****. wow.") This debate has not gotten heated, nor do I think it will .. it just exists, and comes up from time to time.

So anyway I figured I would post the question here because MFP'ers tend to be quiet and reserved in their opinions, and will treat me gently, with dignity and respect.

Explain your reasoning to her. It might be enough to make her understand. I just got a rubber tube thingie to help mine stay in place, but I'll have to get them resized or switch to another finger before much longer. My husband is just happy when I actually wear my wedding band and engagement rings since I've been freaked out about losing them.

Communicate ... with my wife ... hmmmm .. that's just crazy enough to work ..
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    if it matters to your wife, why does it not matter to you?

I don't care how much football matters to my spouse, it doesn't mean I'm ever going to give a *kitten*.

oh now you've done it.....

you know how much I love it when you talk about *kitten*

:blushing: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Put the wedding ring on the correct finger, then go at the knuckle with a hammer. That would keep it on ..

When I hit my final final goal (100 lbs lost is goal1) .. 185 is final final goal .. I shall be purchasing a new wedding band.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Put the wedding ring on the correct finger, then go at the knuckle with a hammer. That would keep it on ..

When I hit my final final goal (100 lbs lost is goal1) .. 185 is final final goal .. I shall be purchasing a new wedding band.

why not just explain to her that you're going to get your ring resized when you hit your final goal?
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I never wear my rings. If wearing a ring is what makes you married then whatevs. My husband doesn't necessarily love it, but I go to the gym so much and lift that I would destroy my rings given then opportunity.
    If you aren't a cheater then not wearing a ring isn't gonna change that.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Listen to your wife & re-size. She is really the most important & she is the reason for the ring, right?

Signed..a wife.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ive been wearing mine on the middle for sometime now otherwise it falls off the man hasnt said anything really asked me if I want to resize it and I told him no since i plan on losing more

but i guess if it's a big deal to her
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If it's important to your wife, then it's important. Just get the wedding band resized and don't worry about the other. Seems like a good compromise :)
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options

^^ Hahahahaha! ^^

You have a great sense of humor. How about you resize the wedding ring and wear the other one on your middle finger. Or better yet, have a chat with your wife as to why she is upset about it. If I saw that my question wouldn't be, "What's up with the rings?" I would ask you if you are trying to say 'eff my marriage' in a not so subtle way.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Happy wife, happy life...go get your rings sized.

Haha so true!

Yeah but what about the old saying "happy husband, happy uhhh ... ummmm"

****. There's no old saying, is there?

I have noticed a correlation between a happy man and increased nakie snuggle times, so there might be something there
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A wedding ring goes on your ring finger! If I saw you with a ring on your middle finger I would think you are not married. If my husband decided to wear his ring on his middle finger I would feel like maybe he doesn't want the world to know he is married. It would bother me, sounds like it bothers your wife. Is it worth hurting her? I would get it sized IMHO
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I ended up buying a $20 ring off amazon to replace my wedding band. As soon as I'm sure this weight is where I'll maintain, then I'll resize. Until I "splurged," I felt it best to either go without the band (as I did) or you can wear it on the other finger. Better options than losing the darn thing down a drain somewhere where you can't retrieve it. Best of Luck! (P.S. Your wife is always right regardless).

Edited for typos.

I agree! Get something cheap until you are where you want to be then get it resized!

50540473.png
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Most stores have ring guards you can buy to help your rings fit better until you reach your goal.

Why wouldn't you wear them on the right finger(s) if that's what your wife wants? If it makes her feel better...
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Happy wife, happy life...go get your rings sized.

^^ this!!!!! :)