Replies

• KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    6w7ox2o.gif
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    yes, people hate white people too. but do you realize that no matter how much people hate white people it's still not racism. racism is about believing a race is superior to another and everyone knows white people always have the upper hand at least for now. so no matter how much minorities hate on white people, they are still the dominant race.

:huh:
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think it was racist But I am not Asian. You were just making an observation though. I'm also laughing at some of these comments by white people. I don't have anything against white people but I think they have no say in whether or not something is racist if it doesn't have to do with their own race. I am not saying all white people are racist but since white is the dominant race i don't really think they know when they're being racist or know what it's like to be on the receiving end.

:huh: WTF? Dude! This is racist! EVERY RACE has experienced racism in some form at some point in time. I'm sorry but this was completely ignorant on your part .
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    And by the way everyone has a hard time breaking up Alcohol not a single race has this accomplished everyone still gets liver damage and Kidney issues ....Do you know how many Americans are on dialysis or people in general...It's not because of there race it's because the alcohol was abused(and it's not always alcohol,but in this point case scenario)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    huh.gif
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    yes, people hate white people too. but do you realize that no matter how much people hate white people it's still not racism. racism is about believing a race is superior to another and everyone knows white people always have the upper hand at least for now. so no matter how much minorities hate on white people, they are still the dominant race.

:huh:

Some people should be drown at birth :yawn: :huh:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

OP, you wanted to know about racism - this is racist. You are not.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

OP, you wanted to know about racism - this is racist. You are not.

QFT
  • TheBackStory
    Options

I say we should all just hug it out though

If I have a large percentage of Native American in me, am I really white? Or am I just white because the sun doesn't love me? I'm just trying to understand if I can comment on racism or not.
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options

If I have a large percentage of Native American in me, am I really white? Or am I just white because the sun doesn't love me? I'm just trying to understand if I can comment on racism or not.
    Albino with slight pigmentation.
  • Beckscherie44
    Options

i'm sorry, i disagree. if people hate white people because they are white, that is racism. I don't think you have a very firm grasp on what racism is. as far as 'everyone knows white people always have the upper hand' ... don't even get me started.
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options
    So would it be racist if I walked into all brothers barbershop in a black neigborhood and said,
    " hey do any of you people know where broad and market is?"
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian. I drink and I don't get the glow. Unless I drink a lot. Then I get a different kind of glow.

1741639-lastdragon8.jpg

That's probably more racist than anything you said but I can get away with it. Just look at me.

As for the diet thing, I think you're not looking at the big picture. Folks in the countryside tend to be slimmer because of many different factors. For one, they may be working on farms or factories. That's just physically intense work. Their counterparts in the city, on the other hand, have physiques that are similar to what's happening in industrialized cities in America. They folks in the countryside are doing a heck of a lot more walking to get to places. If you look at what's happening in cities like Shanghai, you'll see a sharp increase in obesity, diabetes and heart disease in the last 10 years.

"Smaller framed"... have you seen Yao? We have basketball and football players now... how about some respect? Truth be told, I think the smaller framed folks might have survived famines and droughts better than the big guys. I also think that better nutrition and healthcare has been narrowing the gap.

Anyways, to your original point: I don't think you're being racist. I think you're making sweeping generalizations that are based on your observations.. but I don't think you were being disparaging. I think this is a discussion forum. This is the Interwebs.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No, didn't sound racist to me.
  • Beckscherie44
    Options
    And by the way everyone has a hard time breaking up Alcohol not a single race has this accomplished everyone still gets liver damage and Kidney issues ....Do you know how many Americans are on dialysis or people in general...It's not because of there race it's because the alcohol was abused(and it's not always alcohol,but in this point case scenario)

I'm not talking so much about long term effects, sure, alcohol will ultimately cause damage to anyone who over consumes it.
    But genetically, a lot of people of Asian descent DO have trouble breaking down the enzymes more so than others.
    It just means, as in my original post, they get very drunk very quickly, or have a much stronger reaction.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

OK, so racism is believing one race is superior over another, but if you believe your race is superior over white people, you'e not a racist?
  • TheBackStory
    Options

Albino with slight pigmentation.

Blending in with the enemy... Those damn white people. Gosh they are so racist!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I had a conversation about Asian food earlier in a weight loss chat room.
    A woman made an observation that many Asian women seem to stay very slim even on a high carb, often greasy diet.
    I suggested that genetically, many Asians are naturally smaller framed, and that maybe they are better at metabolising the diet because through time they have become accustomed to it. This already had several people in the chat crying 'racist'.

Trying to explain myself, I was hoping to point out that different populations genuinely do process food differently depending on their genetic make-up. For example, that many people of Asian descent have trouble metabolising alcohol. My boyfriend for example is Korean and gets what he calls, 'the Asian glow' - he just can't break down the enzymes fast enough and it leaves him totally drunk and red faced after a single drink. That REALLY got people riled up - I don't know how many people called me a racist *****.

I guess I was surprised because nothing I said was derogatory, or suggested Asian people are less because they are different, and I certainly didn't mean to cause trouble. The truth of the matter is that even though we are all equal, the truth is we ARE different - it's not a bad thing, but it seems making that observation has people upset. The reaction surprised me. I'm genuinely sorry if anyone does find this rude or ignorant, and I guess that's why I'm posting - was I racist?
    As an Asian, I wouldn't say this was racist. I would say it is stereotyping though. Asians are smaller basically because they don't overindulge and eat more whole foods overall. As for alcohol, it may seem they need little to drink, but when someone who is smaller in frame drinks the same amount of someone with a larger frame, the alcohol percentage will be higher in the smaller person. That's just math.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CoolHandSmouche
    Options
    Personally I don't think it was racist But I am not Asian. You were just making an observation though. I'm also laughing at some of these comments by white people. I don't have anything against white people but I think they have no say in whether or not something is racist if it doesn't have to do with their own race. I am not saying all white people are racist but since white is the dominant race i don't really think they know when they're being racist or know what it's like to be on the receiving end.

I'd love to think this ridiculous post, which is actually racist, was tongue in cheek. Sadly, though, I'm not sure this is the case.

If you think being white precludes a person from suffering racism, you're woefully uninformed. Racism is not, as you seem to suggest, related solely to one's skin colour (http://www.hrcr.org/docs/CERD/cerd3.html).

Some of the worst examples of racial discrimination have, in fact, been perpetrated by "white people" on "white people". A simple study of the entomological origin of the world "slave" will show you that. The Slavs were subjected to some of the most brutal forms of behaviour and considered sub-human...simply on account of their ethno-linguistic origin.

Irish immigrants were subjected to serious racism both in the UK and the USA. When my Grandparents moved to the UK there were "No Irish" signs all over which precluded them from housing, jobs and even using public water fountains.

Before the inane posts start, I'm not seeking to say which race has it "worst". I'm simply saying that sadly, racism and forms of discrimination, occur every day to all sorts of people...even white people.

PS - I'm Caucasian, male and straight...have I experienced discrimination? Most people would assume not, but in fact I have. A university lecturer refused to teach me because I had a disability (hearing impairment).
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I had a conversation about Asian food earlier in a weight loss chat room.
    A woman made an observation that many Asian women seem to stay very slim even on a high carb, often greasy diet.
    I suggested that genetically, many Asians are naturally smaller framed, and that maybe they are better at metabolising the diet because through time they have become accustomed to it. This already had several people in the chat crying 'racist'.

Trying to explain myself, I was hoping to point out that different populations genuinely do process food differently depending on their genetic make-up. For example, that many people of Asian descent have trouble metabolising alcohol. My boyfriend for example is Korean and gets what he calls, 'the Asian glow' - he just can't break down the enzymes fast enough and it leaves him totally drunk and red faced after a single drink. That REALLY got people riled up - I don't know how many people called me a racist *****.

I guess I was surprised because nothing I said was derogatory, or suggested Asian people are less because they are different, and I certainly didn't mean to cause trouble. The truth of the matter is that even though we are all equal, the truth is we ARE different - it's not a bad thing, but it seems making that observation has people upset. The reaction surprised me. I'm genuinely sorry if anyone does find this rude or ignorant, and I guess that's why I'm posting - was I racist?

Stop being racist round eye!
This discussion has been closed.