Family friendly ideas for chicken breasts

Options
1235»

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I cut the breasts into strips (or use the breast tenderloins). Season with Mrs. Dash (original) and then roll in parmesan cheese (the kind you sprinkle on spaghetti) and then bake. They make really tasty but low fat "chicken fingers" that even my kids like.
  • AngelLittle
    AngelLittle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    suzyq - That dish although it sounds yummy, certainly doesn't sound low calorie. I don't think I could eat it and still stay under my calories.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    One of my hubby's favourite dishes of mine is my chicken pasta bake. I cut up the chicken breast and add to a lasagne dish with some uncooked fusilli pasta and then add a can of tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, cayenne pepper, garlic and smoked paprika or pretty much whatever takes your fancy! Then I mix it all up and cover it with some foil so the pasta doesn't burn and bake for about 20 mins then take out and add some frozen peas and a sprinkling of low fat grated cheese and some herbs and put it back in uncovered for another 20 mins. Serve with lots of salad. :)
  • SweetLe
    SweetLe Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What great ideas! I love Chicken!

Bumpity bump bump
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try dipping them in an egg wash and breading them with a mixture of Panko crumbs and flour.

Bake on 350 for about 35 - 40 minutes.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids myself- but I think they would be hard pushed not to enjoy these:

Creamy chicken & pesto crepes: Serves 4 (Based on 1 filled crepe per person)

For the savoury crepes: (makes 1 per person)
    -50g plain white flour
    -50g wholemeal flour
    -1 egg, beaten
    -250ml skimmed milk
    -Salt & Pepper
    -1 cal spray oil.

For the chicken filling
    - 4 Chicken breasts, skinless & boneless, cut into strips
    - 4 tbsp extra low fat cream cheese (1 tbsp pp, I used philadelphia)
    - 2 tbsp Green Pesto (I used reduced fat green pesto from Asda)
    - Dash water.
    - Chopped veggies of choice- I like to use spinach, courgette (zucchini), and/or mushrooms.
    - Crushed black pepper.
    - Garlic granules/ crushed garlic (if you like it garlicky- beaing in mind there is some in the pesto).

- 4 tbsp grated low fat cheese of choice (For topping)

Combine the pancake ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. This mixture will keep for up to 3 days in a fridge.

In a medium hot non stick pan, spray 10 sprays oil per pancake and ladle in quarter of the mixture. Cook for about 4-5 mins or until cooked through.

Repeat the process, set pancakes aside.

In another pan- sautee the sliced chicken & veggies until cooked through. Add the cream cheese & pesto, add a little water if it's too thick. Season well.

Spoon quarter of the mixture into a pancake, roll up like an enchilada. Put into a baking tray. Repeat process.

Sprinkle the top of each crepe with cheese. Bake in oven for 10-15 mins until golden and bubbling.

Serve with a green side salad.

Calories per portion- approx 360 (Based on MFP recipe calculator, but will vary on brands used).
  • cicadagirl
    cicadagirl Posts: 51
    Options
    Not an exact recipe, but you can adjust the proportions to your tastes/needs:

Dump the chicken breasts in a slow-cooker/Crock pot with enough of your favorite salsa to cover the breasts fully. Cook on high 4 hours. Shred the chicken together with the salsa and mix it with low-fat or fat-free cream cheese. Use the mixture to stuff pre-warmed corn tortillas, then bake the filled tortillas until they're crispy on the outside. Serve with more salsa and sour cream if you want it. Very simple and tasty!
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • crbruner
    crbruner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girls Chicken Strips are great. You can find them on her website. She coats them in crushed fiber one cereal and faux fries them, my picky 18 month old loved them and so did I.
  • aubraann03
    aubraann03 Posts: 48
    Options
    bump for later
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I fillet the chicken, stuff it with grated cheese and fresh spinach, spice the top and bake...my family loves it
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    McCormick makes this awesome one dish packet. You mix it with milk (I use fat free milk). Then you put chicken breast on top of rice. I use about 3 chicken breasts (fiance likes to eat 2) and I also use instant brown rice. It also calls for mushrooms, but I hate mushrooms, so I use green beans or corn (sometimes both!) instead. Then I pour the mix over it and bake for about 45 minutes. It's soooo good, and filling!
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I flattened some chicken breasts and mixed up some laughing cow light cream cheese wedges with some finely chopped imitation crab meat, folded them over and pinned them with a skewer and baked it in the oven........mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm!! So good and pretty low in fat and calories. Could probably use fat free cream cheese and it would be just as yummy.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    bump so I don't lose it
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gmbuccino
    gmbuccino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • twiggy_34
    twiggy_34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my fave chicken dishes, particularly in the winter is what I call my "cheats chicken casserole".

I fill a saucepan with slightly watered down condensed cream of chicken soup (low fat is available if you want to use it), sliced uncooked chicken breast to suit the number of people eating, and veggies/seasoning of choice. (For me it's usually chopped new potatoes & diced or sliced carrots).

Simmer until the chicken is cooked through & potatoes are soft enough & serve.

Although it can require quite a long time to cook if you're doing a large quantity, it's very easy to prepare & adapt to your tastes.

I'm a really fussy eater, so this should be ideal for adults & kids alike.
  • 112girl
    112girl Posts: 10
    Options
    yum