Cabbage Soup Diet. What your experience? Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Im bad at thinking of low calorie foods, lol.
    Perhaps that's what you should post then! Ask for some like-minded friends with open diaries who are also eating at a deficit. Plus, you don't have to only eat low calorie foods. You can eat higher calorie foods just in smaller portions as well.
  • NikkiL0v3L1f3
    Options
    6ish monthes ago, i was eating low calorie diet. (1300 calories) and worked out hard every single day for 2 monthes. i lost 5 pounds that whole time. I saw no improvements in my body.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    6ish monthes ago, i was eating low calorie diet. (1300 calories) and worked out hard every single day for 2 monthes. i lost 5 pounds that whole time. I saw no improvements in my body.
    I can bet that you were eating at too much of a deficit. Which is essentially what this crash diet you're contemplating will consist of..
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    How is cabbage soup any different than any other soup? It is supposed to have special properties somehow?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've ever known who dieted ended up fat and flabby. I prefer to maintain a consistently healthy lifestyle instead. It works for me. Good luck with your soup, though. I love cabbage. In fact, I often use shredded cabbage in place of lettuce in salads.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My idea is to this diet and stick it for the week, and eat lots of fruits and vegies and everything else i can have on my days besides just the soup. After my 7 days is up start exercising daily and go on a more long term healthier diet. I am aware that I should feel like crap being on this diet, therefore i wont have the energy to exercise during it. Its just for a week,,It shouldnt hurt to try right?

Yes a week will hurt. It only takes 3 days for your metabolism to drop then you'll have to keep eating like a bird.
  • nataliecarter28
    nataliecarter28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    losing 5 pounds in 2 months is actually a very healthy weight loss. congratulations on that!

I foolishly tried the cabbage soup diet a few months ago. I couldn't make it past day two, I had no energy and my body was craving real food so badly. I wouldn't recommend it.
    but I will say this, the first day will clear you out and you'll probably lose a pound or two of water weight. I pooped like 10 times that day!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    How is cabbage soup any different than any other soup? It is supposed to have special properties somehow?

This makes me want to try a chicken tortilla soup diet.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I too did it years ago (and another variation with a different soup) but pretty much the same thing. So has my mum and lots of other women she was friends with.

I think it's fine to do it if you really want to. But it is essentially a super low calorie diet, the combinations of food and the soup itself doesn't really do anything different that having the same calories per day would do (or any other VLCD like meal replacement shakes, etc)

Maybe if it was something where you just wanted to lose to fit into a dress in a week or something like that and the quirkiness of it would help you to stick to it it would be good.

I know how you feel - because I wanted to 'jump start' my loss too I thought it would help me from a motivation perspective if I saw an initial big drop and then I could do the whole sensible thing. [I chose optifast not the cabbage soup diet]. And initially I did ok I think I dropped more than 2kg (4.4lbs) in the first week, but I ended up just feeling super hungry and not motivated at all and getting to a point where I signed up to weight watchers (about 3 weeks before I signed up here) took me about 2 months and the loss was gone.

I have been doing weight watchers and tracking my calories here for 10 weeks in total now and have lost 4.7kg (10.3lbs). I have been exercising, and I am super motivated, excited about my improvement in fitness and quite confident that I can do this and stick to it long term. (average over the last week 1495 calories) Have had chocolate, candy, cake, vodka, beer mmmm beer), and even a vienna hot dog with fries.

If you really think, you need that initial kick try it and see. But sometimes if you are that focussed on just numbers it won't make you feel any better anyway or help your motivation. I think you just need to accept losing weight safely and properly takes a while, and if you are already here, you want to do well and you can. You really don't need the cabbage soup diet to help you, or if you really love the soup - make the soup and have other normal food within the calorie allowance for you (ie make your own cabbage soup diet).

Good Luck!

edited- typos mc-typos
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have to say at least you're eating foods. My sister in law is doing a 1 week diet of just drinking one Kombachi drink a day and that is it...she is killing her metabolism and her family won't do anything about it. I tried talking to her and she brushes me off because I am "fat". So just realize none of what your saying for the first week is going to do much than irritate your body and such and who knows you might gain when you start eating real food again.

Good luck :)
  • NikkiL0v3L1f3
    Options
    Hmm, well if anyone has a good affordable diet plan then im open to suggestions. im 5'6 and i fluctuate between 155-160lbs daily lol. My goal is 130, and I want to get there in a few months.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Or maybe a chili diet...much tastier, still just as gassy!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    Hmm, well if anyone has a good affordable diet plan then im open to suggestions. im 5'6 and i fluctuate between 155-160lbs daily lol. My goal is 130, and I want to get there in a few months.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Or maybe a chili diet...much tastier, still just as gassy!

Would I negate the diets effects if I do both? ;)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    losing 5 pounds in 2 months is actually a very healthy weight loss. congratulations on that!

I foolishly tried the cabbage soup diet a few months ago. I couldn't make it past day two, I had no energy and my body was craving real food so badly. I wouldn't recommend it.
    but I will say this, the first day will clear you out and you'll probably lose a pound or two of water weight. I pooped like 10 times that day!

A friend tried this many, many years ago and had this same experience. She called herself a "*kitten* machine"
  • BlueEyedGirl2013
    BlueEyedGirl2013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love it! It's super yummy. Thinking about making a big pot of it soon actually.
    You will most likely lose 5-10 lbs in a week. A great jumpstart to weightloss in my opinion.
    I would NOT exercise while doing this. I made that mistake and felt like I was going to pass out and was really shaky.
    Good luck! Theres a group on fb too if u havent checked that out already. https://www.facebook.com/cabbagesoupdiet
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    The goals that MFP set for you in regards to calories/fat/carb/etc are there for a reason. Eat whatever you want, log your food and fit said food within those parameters. It's seriously that simple. People over complicate it.
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    i like cabbage soup and i have done the diet before and i gained weight back on straight after but i still use the soup! I do the first two days, soup +fruit and then soup+veg it helps me clean out so to speak and feel less bloated espically if i have been bingeing on carbs! The soup is good and filling but i have to spice it up a little i put in some tomato and basil pasta sauce and some taco seasoning to give it a kick or a little tabasco.

I like it for lunch as a base to add protein, or sometimes bread and butter and i can eat a big bowl and feel very full with fewer calories then i would a sandwich or pasta.
    i suggest you try the week diet ....then you will realise yes you got good results but its not a very nice lifestyle espically on bananas milk and soup day the worst day!
    goodluck
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    I love it! It's super yummy. Thinking about making a big pot of it soon actually.
    You will most likely lose 5-10 lbs in a week. A great jumpstart to weightloss in my opinion.
    I would NOT exercise while doing this. I made that mistake and felt like I was going to pass out and was really shaky.
    Good luck! Theres a group on fb too if u havent checked that out already. https://www.facebook.com/cabbagesoupdiet

That sounds. .. just awful. Why would you do something that causes you to feel like you'll pass out for the sake of a number on a scale?