Cabbage Soup Diet. What your experience? Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I promise you'll feel so much better eating regular food in moderation.

What food on the cabbage soup diet is not 'regular food'?

I think you're grasping at straws trying to make this about semantics.

Yes, the ingredients are regular food. But we all know that it's VLCD and nutritionally incomplete and not healthy or sustainable.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

*dramatic eye roll*
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that the cabbage soup diet is a diet consisting only of the soup as your caloric intake for a set period? Or is the soup in addition to other foods?

It's soup plus other foods, but only certain foods on certain days. It has a lot of 'eat all you want' of certain food groups on certain days. It's low calorie and low fat and lasts only 7 days. It's not particularly unhealthy for a short term diet, but whether it leads to permanent weight loss is, of course, totally going to depend on what one does after those 7 days.

So it is essentially a laxative? :laugh:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    :sick: :sick: :sick: This is what your friends will look like once you start passing wind. Eat in moderation, exercise in moderation, lose weight in moderation. Then your friends will look like this :noway: because you'll look good AND smell good. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, the ingredients are regular food. But we all know that it's VLCD and nutritionally incomplete and not healthy or sustainable.

Of course it's not sustainable. It's very specific that it should not be followed for more than 7 days. It's only VLC if you want it to be. Many days say "eat all you want" of certain food groups.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My opinion...GAG!!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Of course it's not sustainable. It's very specific that it should not be followed for more than 7 days. It's only VLC if you want it to be. Many days say "eat all you want" of certain food groups.

And the point of doing a diet that is not sustainable in the long term is what exactly?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that the cabbage soup diet is a diet consisting only of the soup as your caloric intake for a set period? Or is the soup in addition to other foods?

It's soup plus other foods, but only certain foods on certain days. It has a lot of 'eat all you want' of certain food groups on certain days. It's low calorie and low fat and lasts only 7 days. It's not particularly unhealthy for a short term diet, but whether it leads to permanent weight loss is, of course, totally going to depend on what one does after those 7 days.

Because Eat all you want is a good habit to get into right?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Yes that is the idea ... to "detox" your body. I don't see the point though.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage, but eating cabbage soup everyday would kill my stomach! I couldn't do it, but I knew a woman who did and she lost weight. Good luck to you, if that's what you choose.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Im bad at thinking of low calorie foods, lol.

So what will you do when the "diet" is over?
    Answer: Go back to your previous weight, unless you learn how to eat appropriately.
  • vickydubuis
    vickydubuis Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY DON'T do it! I did it when I was 18-ish. Yes, I lost about 7 pounds in one week. AND YES, i gained 15 pounds as soon as I stopped. They're not kidding when they say it is bad for your metabolism and it gives you no energy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It is high fiber so, yeah probably. If it were developed today it might be called the Cabbage Soup Cleanse. :tongue:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Yes that is the idea ... to "detox" your body. I don't see the point though.

So you lose a bunch of weight in a week by pooping your brains out and dehydrating yourself.

Sounds smart. Good luck OP!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like soup
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I tried it in my much younger days and found myself sitting on the kitchen floor sniffing an ice cream box!!! I really enjoy cabbage and the soup and I still make it from time to time but you do need protein or else you will feel extremely hungry for most of the time!!! Ten years later and I still remember how hungry I was!!! Now I know how to eat the right foods to fuel my body and I Am losing but never hungry!!!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Cabbage actually upsets a lot of people's stomachs. Why not just make up your favourite vegetable soup, and replace one meal a day with a nice bowl of that? Extreme diets don't often help much in the long run, I'd honestly suggest you try for a more long term approach. If you're determined, just make sure you stay hydrated and aware of your body; if you're unwell from it, don't try and push on.
    I tried it once years ago, and the quoted poster is correct! After a few days, I couldn't eat the soup without throwing up. I still get sick just thinking about it. Never again!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've tried it before, and the soup tastes pretty good, but honestly, you will get so hungry after only a couple of days there are almost no calories in the soup which means you are starving yourself. Just eat the calories your body needs, and work out and you will lose the weight
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    you may want to get a few bottles of Beano, while you're at it.
    yikes
  • ChristinaR419
    ChristinaR419 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did the cabbage soup diet several times. Day four when all you can eat is bananas, milk and soup does me in every time. I recently filled my fridge with Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choice, and Smart Ones meals. So far this is the best I have ever done. Cabbage soup diet sets you up for failure in my personal experience. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!