What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is quite possibly the most stilted thread I've ever read on these boards. People advocating for the OP are difficult for me to understand. A teacher is taking pictures in the classroom and posting them online without parental consent. How is that ever acceptable? This is unprofessional, thoughtless and teetering on morally questionable.

If snacking is an issue, then the OP can take some real initiative and talk to school administration and the school medical staff. Violating privacy and security practices is not useful. This behavior puts her job in jeopardy and, if her photos carry any tags, potentially puts her students identities online without consent. Are people really suggesting that this is a good idea, or something that should be supported?

oh please. she's not posting mug shots of the kids next to the offending food.. it's completely anonymous so chill. she's trying to HELP, and maybe vent some too, because it's hard to bang your face against a brick wall every day. THERE WAS NO PRIVACY VIOLATED ..

The children have a reasonable expectation that their belongings will not be rifled through, photographed, and displayed on the internet. So yeah, privacy WAS violated.

^^^This^^^ and the OP has no right to reveal anything about her students to the general public. But for anyone who wants to argue about privacy, just go ask the OP if her supervising vice principal authorized this. Also it is not anonymous...go reread the part of the thread where some simple detective work revealed identifiable information. So again privacy was violated. school policy was violated and people supporting this nonsense are supporting nonsense.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, however you want to classify it, taking away the children's snacks, putting them out on a table, photographing them and then posting it on the internet (with bad grammar no less) does make the OP a weirdo. And makes me wonder about her boundaries and issues.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Thank you for saying this.....I was thinking the same thing. :noway:
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell from pictures alone:

1) Which photos are 'snack' and which ones are 'lunch'
    2) How many 'snacks' and how many 'lunches' the photographs include
    3) The portion sizes (although you can estimate when comparing to the 200ml drink and oranges)

But here's how a typical lunch box would go for me growing up:
    - 1 juice box
    - 1 bottle of water
    - 1 piece of fruit
    - 1 sandwich with ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, and mayo
    - 1 individual-serve packet of Tiny Teddies

Obviously it wouldn't go like that every day. Sometimes my 'junk food' would be a couple mint slice or scotch finger biscuits, a slice of homemade cake or apple crumble, a individual serve of Goldfish or Shapes...you get the gist. I wouldn't have a ham sandwich every day, but whatever my lunch turned out to be that day was generally good. A thermos of homemade pumpkin soup, leftover spaghetti bolognaise, etc.

And ya know what? I was a pretty slim kid. It was only when I started buying things to eat as well as what was being served to me (with my own money) that I started to get chubby.

I mean, I understand how a teacher would cringe if a kid was being fed half a cake for snack and a family bag of chips for lunch with a litre of soda. I would too. But if they're having their oreos as a part of an otherwise balanced day...well, what's the problem?
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    This is quite possibly the most stilted thread I've ever read on these boards. People advocating for the OP are difficult for me to understand. A teacher is taking pictures in the classroom and posting them online without parental consent. How is that ever acceptable? This is unprofessional, thoughtless and teetering on morally questionable.

If snacking is an issue, then the OP can take some real initiative and talk to school administration and the school medical staff. Violating privacy and security practices is not useful. This behavior puts her job in jeopardy and, if her photos carry any tags, potentially puts her students identities online without consent. Are people really suggesting that this is a good idea, or something that should be supported?

oh please. she's not posting mug shots of the kids next to the offending food.. it's completely anonymous so chill. she's trying to HELP, and maybe vent some too, because it's hard to bang your face against a brick wall every day. THERE WAS NO PRIVACY VIOLATED ..

The children have a reasonable expectation that their belongings will not be rifled through, photographed, and displayed on the internet. So yeah, privacy WAS violated.

You seem to be working really hard to impress me. Or else it just comes naturally to you. In either case. Color me impressed.

Yaaay! It's working :wink:
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's honestly none of your business what food parents send their children to school with.

You don't buy them nor do you know what the parents & children may be going through.

Unless their kid(s) have certain food or ingredient allergies, i personally don't see the problem *shrug*
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    When I was a kid, I ate what was put in front of me. If I didn't want it, then I went hungry. You know what? I lived.

I know right? You didn't die! And yet the whole world still refuses to live their lives exactly like you and your parents or to be exactly like you. The nerve of them!!
  • mrnooga7
    Options
    Honestly, I am sick of all the finger pointing at parents. I would be horrified if one of my kids teachers posted something like this. Until you walk in the parents shoes it pays not to judge. I have 2 children 10 and 7 who do take the odd packet of oreos to school and have a treat in their lunch boxes daily. They are both very physically active and very healthy!!!!! Let kids be kids for godness sake.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My kid has always been allowed to eat whatever he wants. I have never ever told him any food was junk or healthy or unhealthy because food has no inherent moral value. I am the one who cooks so I've always cooked a very wide variety of foods, but if he asks me to buy or make something to eat, I usually do.

People need to learn how their own bodies feel sated and/or hungry without having their parents unload their food issues onto them. Ultimately it's not my job to body-police or food-shame my child. We discuss nutrition subjects and the importance of physical activity and I try to always frame my discussions about my weight management journey in terms of being strong, healthy and avoiding certain lifestyle illnesses - not demonizing any food or body-shaming myself or anyone else in the process.

Today he's a healthy weight, slender, active, confident 15yo who runs and lifts weights with me and is currently pondering taking up martial arts. Some days he lives off pizza and candy. Today he is excited about the sweet potato fries on tonight's dinner menu served with a side of Brussels sprouts and some cubed steak. He'll likely ask for seconds because he loves those. He also had a bucket full of Halloween candy that he inhaled in 3 days. Oh, and he has no cavities.

People need to calm down. A kid can and should be given Oreos as part of a varied diet if there's no medical reason to not do so. It's not gonna kill anyone.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm more shocked to see Dunkaroos in the lunch - I thought they stopped making those YEARS ago!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It really makes you think, though. What kind of an evil monster would allow their child to eat things like gold fish crackers for a snack. Never mind, granola bars, tiny oranges, croissants, juice, peaches. And if that wasn't bad enough, some parents actually allow their children to eat cookies. OP, thank you for shining a light into the dark shadows of child abuse. I hope you called DCFS.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    imagesCAEM4ETX_zps1e4ecca1.jpg

HA HA HA HA! ^^^THIS^^^ :heart: :heart: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes.

The highly judgmental "teacher" who lives in a glass house and is complaining about nutrition.

How much you you weigh?

Have you hit your goals?
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It really makes you think, though. What kind of an evil monster would allow their child to eat things like gold fish crackers for a snack. Never mind, granola bars, tiny oranges, croissants, juice, peaches. And if that wasn't bad enough, some parents actually allow their children to eat cookies. OP, thank you for shining a light into the dark shadows of child abuse. I hope you called DCFS.

Seriously. When I was 4, my preschool served me Oreo cookies and milk at snacktime. I'm surprised the state didn't shut the place down and haul the operators off for child endangerment.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My parents never let me eat crap like that.
    And I don't think it's right to let them either.
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

We have an obesity problem because people consume more calories than they burn. The reason for this is multifaceted and complex, encompassing access to excess and lack of access to quality. A myriad of psychological and socioecomonic factors are at play. Your analysis is painfully short sighted and naive.

The healthfulness of one's diet doesn't the person more or less morally superior.

I want to tell you how thoughtful your reply was using the song of my people:

TLI-thatsthewayyoudoit.gif

Your people are high quality.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Check out the morning snacks and lunches that are sent with some of my grade one students. This is not just one either...this happens everyday.
    There should be a test before one can have children...Sorry if you are one of those parents reading this!

Joke's on you. It takes more than one to have children (at least gamete wise).
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would have loved to have a lunch like this as a kid. Then again, I didn't have much growing up. I don't see what the big deal is, as long as there's some fruit or other healthy foods to accompany the junk food.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Dear Sir or Madam,

No one has ever managed to use the phrase 'so called' as it is in the title of this post without sounding like a pretentious git.

The suggestion that these people are not even parents at all crosses the line from potentially offensive to simply absurd. In future please restrict your use of the phrase to situations in which the object under discussions is literally not what others claim it is.

e.g. "The so called alien space craft was in fact a weather balloon." Gets a thumbs up.
    "The so called parents who bore and raise this child." makes no sense, because that's the definition of parent.

If you want to make allegations as serious as claiming that someone is a bad parent have the decency not to be snide about it.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Dear OP,

I mean this nicely.

Please seek help.
    Your perception of reality is skewed.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    171778.gif
This discussion has been closed.