What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Except for the fruit and the ham sandwich croissant, this looks like the list of snacks most schools send to parents seeking donations for snack time.

Packaged foods don't spoil. Schools don't provide refrigerators or microwaves to students. Parents do what they have to do to make sure their kids eat something. Not all kids want to sit around the campfire and sing koombaya while consuming only organic, free-range mung bean sprouts.

Besides, school lunches that are provided are half-baked chicken nuggets, some canned green beans, strawberry and chocolate milk, those horrible frozen pizzas, etc. etc. Most of it is pretty gross. All of these snacks look better than most school lunches. I'd be over the moon if even the expensive private school my kid used to attend would have served ham and cheese on a croissant.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would have loved to have a lunch like this as a kid. Then again, I didn't have much growing up. I don't see what the big deal is, as long as there's some fruit or other healthy foods to accompany the junk food.

Why didn't you just go to Whole Foods and buy some organic granola?

Ugh but seriously, thank you for sharing that experience. I had the good fortune of growing up in a situation where I had lots of food. I had a friend that did not and would come home with me several nights a week and my mom would send left overs with her. I honestly didn't understand until I was much older.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what I see here is not enough time to pack. I wouldn't say they are horrible. Possibly a little deficient in protein, calcium, fiber and iron. There is a lot of vitamin C there though especially that peach juice one, but that one could use a nice sandwich with some meat (roast beef) and cheese just to round it out a little more. that bottom one actually looks decent probably lacking in fiber.

What do you pack in your kid's lunch?

sometimes this is why I suggest to parents that the USDA lunch program is a great option. It has a better nutrient composition, and all menus have to follow specific USDA guidelines and are created by an RD. It's a good option if you are strapped for time.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how about you practice a little non-judgment and grace? You sound like a blast to be around. In all honesty, I wouldn't dare let myself or my child get within ten miles of a person like you, lest you nitpick every single thing I do and attempt to "shame" me about it to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

I recommend a more productive hobby that makes you look a little less...unhinged. I hear knitting can be very cathartic.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    A lot of schools where I live make it so that you can't send this type of stuff in your kids lunches. Not sure what they do to you if you do send packaged things! I've never disobeyed. :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    A lot of schools where I live make it so that you can't send this type of stuff in your kids lunches. Not sure what they do to you if you do send packaged things! I've never disobeyed. :laugh:

who makes those judgments in the school
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes.

The highly judgmental "teacher" who lives in a glass house and is complaining about nutrition.

How much you you weigh?

Have you hit your goals?

please don't use the terms "teacher" and "hit" in the same post with an OP this off her rocker. It scares me. :cry:
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    When my daughter was in grade school and day care, it was very difficult to send snacks that she would eat that didn't need refrigeration...I have a decent knowledge of nutrition and I was stumped most days. At least, now they have apple slices, and no sugar added fruits and stuff that are grab and go. Still, what protein can you send with a kid that won't spoil??

Was she allowed an insulated lunch box? An insulated lunch box with a freezer bag would keep it cool enough (kept in a cool location) until lunch. If that is still a problem then you could do protein rich foods that don't require a lot of refrigeration like peanut butter sandwich, nuts, thinking jerky but that might be too much for a 4 year old, if the teacher will help her then small cans of things like chicken, tuna, and ham mix with package of mayo, and sweet relish. If they microwave you could do a small can of soup.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Oh and before I forget...parents look at bento boxes!!

There are some great ideas out there and they are always so wholesome.

I mean how darling is this!?!

teddy-bear-bento-box-420-an-spoonful-recipe.jpg?itok=Ac4V5tdY

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    When my daughter was in grade school and day care, it was very difficult to send snacks that she would eat that didn't need refrigeration...I have a decent knowledge of nutrition and I was stumped most days. At least, now they have apple slices, and no sugar added fruits and stuff that are grab and go. Still, what protein can you send with a kid that won't spoil??

Was she allowed an insulated lunch box? An insulated lunch box with a freezer bag would keep it cool enough (kept in a cool location) until lunch. If that is still a problem then you could do protein rich foods that don't require a lot of refrigeration like peanut butter sandwich, nuts, thinking jerky but that might be too much for a 4 year old, if the teacher will help her then small cans of things like chicken, tuna, and ham mix with package of mayo, and sweet relish. If they microwave you could do a small can of soup.

So then a teacher who is bent against sodium could post a picture and ask what is wrong with you for giving your kid food from a can/jar.

It is much easier for EVERYONE -- parents and teachers alike, to give children foods that they will actually eat at school. It's only laziness on the parents' part of they aren't making sure their children aren't eating well at home. The teacher only know what she sees at school and there is not reason to assume her charges aren't eating a balanced diet overall.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    But what happens if they create the parent test and someone just lies.

Like say, the question is: Would you feed your child goldfish crackers for a snack?

And the person just says: No, I would not.

And then they are allowed to have a child and they just go ahead and feed their child goldfish crackers anyway!!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Like say, the question is: Would you feed your child goldfish crackers for a snack?

And then they are allowed to have a child and they just go ahead and feed their child goldfish crackers anyway!!!

Life in prison without the possibility of parole.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

LOL we are totally lying on the test. The man is munching down on goldfish crackers right now as I write this. All of his 185lbs of morbid obesity just munching down. Terrible role model.
  • leannmurphy33
    Options
    Put your camera away lady!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Lol^^^ this is fabulous:) !!!!!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Looks like kind of what I pack my 7 year old. Don't like it? Then go ahead and fix him his lunches ... You're paying of course
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    "so called parents" goodness gracious you might want to get off that high horse before a "so called parent" knocks you off of it.

I believe in balance. My daughter may get oreos and goldfish in her lunch. She also gets a ham and cheese sandwich, two fruits and baby carrots.

She's a child, it makes her happy and she's perfectly healthy. I'm not going to lose any sleep over pictures some clearly unhappy person took of some childrens snacks.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This post is still burning me.. I would think as a teacher you would be more concerned about the effort you put forth into teaching the children in your class and that they are actually learning and progressing,and the content of their character, if they are helpful, kind ECT.. That's what's more important at this age.

If your so concerned a out what and how they eat offer FREE classes to parents that want to learn more about nutrition. I'm sure with your stunning personality you'll have a fabulous turn out! ~insert sarcasm~
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been judgy enough of this very judgy post so I came back to judge more.

I'm judging you, OP!!! :angry:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Trader joes & whole foods have a great selection of healthier granola bars.
    They're mostly priced the same as well.

The nearest trader joes is 113 miles from where I live. The nearest whole foods is 137 miles. I believe someone tried to explain to you that not every one has healthier choices readily available to them. What can I get at a WAWA?
    I've never been so idk, but there are threads about what to buy there.

Be helpful and post those here. Within a 40 miles radius of my house, we have a Dollar General, Family Dollar and a locally owned store that gets weeks old produce that is essentially cast off from other stores. GO!

Hey, you must be my neighbor! Howdy! :happy:
This discussion has been closed.