What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    The thought that you're a teacher who is posting this stuff on the internet to strangers....well, it gives me the heebie jeebies. Why would you do this? Wtf is wrong with you?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Well don't I feel stupid...I was SO 'into' posting these pics that I didn't edit this at all...I also left out the word 'day' too!
    What can you do???LOL

Well, you can be less judgemental and refrain from posting such things; you can take a hot minute and reread your post, not only for spelling and grammatical errors, but as a self-check as to the appropriateness of the post... You can mind your own business.

Might I add, you only posted a few things- I would be concerned if that were a child's entire lunch; however, I'm more inclined to believe there are healthier things included in those lunches than just what you've posted.

Wasn't it just last night that you were giving everyone lessons on the correct way to "'help' someone without being a douche"? (Or am I confusing you with someone else?)

No, you're not confused. And, to be clear, I wasn't giving lessons, I was giving an example. If you have an issue with my example, or my use of certain words, perhaps you should look inward and assess why you are offended. :bigsmile: Have a wonderful day!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Well don't I feel stupid...I was SO 'into' posting these pics that I didn't edit this at all...I also left out the word 'day' too!
    What can you do???LOL

Well, you can be less judgemental and refrain from posting such things; you can take a hot minute and reread your post, not only for spelling and grammatical errors, but as a self-check as to the appropriateness of the post... You can mind your own business.

Might I add, you only posted a few things- I would be concerned if that were a child's entire lunch; however, I'm more inclined to believe there are healthier things included in those lunches than just what you've posted.

Wasn't it just last night that you were giving everyone lessons on the correct way to "'help' someone without being a douche"? (Or am I confusing you with someone else?)

No, you're not confused. And, to be clear, I wasn't giving lessons, I was giving an example. If you have an issue with my example, or my use of certain words, perhaps you should look inward and assess why you are offended. :bigsmile: Have a wonderful day!

MFP has been responsible for a great deal of introspection and self-assessment for me.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Picture #2 doesn't look too bad, four cookies, a fruit cup and a juice... even if it is a bit sugary, it's portioned out just fine for a snack.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    OP obviously does NOT have kids....
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

What can you do???LOL

MFP has been responsible for a great deal of introspection and self-assessment for me.

That is SO wonderful to hear. I wish it explained the b-h you seem to be experiencing (i'm now terrified of using a "bad" word) over my post whichy" was not directed to any particular person. But hey, good on you, buddy!

Me, b-h? I don't think so. I'm just one of those rare individuals on MFP who believe that each thread is not in a vacuum and what a member says on one thread should be consistent with what they say on other threads. I like continuity and consistency. I also have a keen eye for hypocrisy.

Oh, and here's a flower: :flowerforyou:

So, by using your aforementioned logic, my comment towards the OP was "d*****y"? I was not a jerk to the OP, because what she has posted is judgemental; it is a bit rude, and instead of doing that, she could have elected to refrain from it, she could have proof read her post... As I've said before, things can be quite subjective, depending upon our mindset, and methinks your mindset concerning my posts is skewed by my use of a less than kind term, however general it might have been.

ETA: If you'd like to see my 'continuity and consistency' take a gander through my past posts. There aren't that many, relatively speaking.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    __HighHorse.jpg

There's nothing wrong with those snacks. Stop food shaming & demonizing. You are doing more harm then good.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oh and before I forget...parents look at bento boxes!!

There are some great ideas out there and they are always so wholesome.

I mean how darling is this!?!

teddy-bear-bento-box-420-an-spoonful-recipe.jpg?itok=Ac4V5tdY

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics

Teddy Grahams, in the eyes of the OP, promotes bad parenting.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

What can you do???LOL

That is SO wonderful to hear. I wish it explained the b-h you seem to be experiencing (i'm now terrified of using a "bad" word) over my post whichy" was not directed to any particular person. But hey, good on you, buddy!

Me, b-h? I don't think so. I'm just one of those rare individuals on MFP who believe that each thread is not in a vacuum and what a member says on one thread should be consistent with what they say on other threads. I like continuity and consistency. I also have a keen eye for hypocrisy.

So, by using your aforementioned logic, my comment towards the OP was "d*****y"? I was not a jerk to the OP, because what she has posted is judgemental; it is a bit rude, and instead of doing that, she could have elected to refrain from it, she could have proof read her post... As I've said before, things can be quite subjective, depending upon our mindset, and methinks your mindset concerning my posts is skewed by my use of a less than kind term, however general it might have been.

Huh? I think you and I have a misunderstanding...but I'm just not invested enough to spend any time trying to explain the disconnect.

(Oh, and to save you from potentially more problems w/ the mods here in the future, please know that correcting (or even commenting on) spelling and punctuation is a very consistently strikeable offense.)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP obviously does NOT have kids....

But. But. Those are always the best parents . . .
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

What can you do???LOL

Huh? I think you and I have a misunderstanding...but I'm just not invested enough to spend any time trying to explain the disconnect.

(Oh, and to save you from potentially more problems w/ the mods here in the future, please know that correcting (or even commenting on) spelling and punctuation is a very consistently strikeable offense.)

I guess we do have a misunderstanding. Oh well. And, thanks for the heads up.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Also, people do realize that the teaching profession inherently requires a level of "judging" yes? That teachers are trained to look for signs of child abuse and neglect, wherein if they expressed those concerns, I get the idea a lot of people would ask "Well, do you have kids?" or "Get back to teaching" or "You don't know the parent's circumstances."

There is no way for a teacher to know what a child is eating at home when all they see is what they have for lunch/snack. If a child always only brought fruit cups and Teddy Grahams, yeah, you might wonder if that's all they eat all the time. Is the right way to go about expressing that concern posting pics on the internet, probably not. But I get the idea some people feel there would be -no- legit way to express that concern as its "nosy" and "none of someone"s business" and "I'm thin, what's the big deal?"

You have people on this thread saying their childhood eating habits didn't affect them, and how they ate snacks like this all the time, but they have weight loss goals that show they want to lose 30 + lbs. You really honestly feel that the two aren't linked at all?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Oh and before I forget...parents look at bento boxes!!

There are some great ideas out there and they are always so wholesome.

I mean how darling is this!?!

teddy-bear-bento-box-420-an-spoonful-recipe.jpg?itok=Ac4V5tdY

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics
    There are some super cute ideas for Bento lunches and little lunch boxes and goodies you can get online and stuff.

However.

These take FOR FREAKING EVER to make. My best friend from HS makes them for her kids every day for lunch. She spends a fortune in supplies and food, admits she wastes a lot of food in the process, and is a stay-at-home Navy wife with no local friends, so she can spend 1+ hour making lunch for her kids every day.

She also homeschools. Those lunches don't travel well and don't look as fresh and pretty after being knocked around in a lunch bag all day!

But they do make for pretty pictures.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Also, people do realize that the teaching profession inherently requires a level of "judging" yes? That teachers are trained to look for signs of child abuse and neglect, wherein if they expressed those concerns, I get the idea a lot of people would ask "Well, do you have kids?" or "Get back to teaching" or "You don't know the parent's circumstances."

There is no way for a teacher to know what a child is eating at home when all they see is what they have for lunch/snack. If a child always only brought fruit cups and Teddy Grahams, yeah, you might wonder if that's all they eat all the time. Is the right way to go about expressing that concern posting pics on the internet, probably not. But I get the idea some people feel there would be -no- legit way to express that concern as its "nosy" and "none of someone"s business" and "I'm thin, what's the big deal?"

You have people on this thread saying their childhood eating habits didn't affect them, and how they ate snacks like this all the time, but they have weight loss goals that show they want to lose 30 + lbs. You really honestly feel that the two aren't linked at all?

Which is why they should not extrapolate assumptions from what they see in a bag that is sent to school.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There is no way for a teacher to know what a child is eating at home when all they see is what they have for lunch/snack.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the point people have been trying to make to the OP for the last 14 pages.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    so basically, if these are really what kids are being given, most people commenting here are defending it?
    Sending a pack of cookies and a pack of chips with a fruit juice is just normal and OK? And people are going on about obesity, but what about the health issues associated with so much processed sugar regardless of your weight? You think that being a healthy weight is the same as being healthy?

The question is, why are parents in the situation to only be sending this crap for their children? It doesn't so much reflect a fault of the parents, but a fault of our society. I am not sure what country this is in, but in Australia we have laws as to what school canteens can serve children now, and there is education for kids (in high school mind you). We are the second or third fattest country in the world though, so clearly more needs to be done.

I was fortunate enough to grow up on lots of vegetables and freshly cooked meals as my parents had the time (worked from home) to provide that. This is a stark reflection on how Western society has completely failed it's most vulnerable. I would get a salad sandwich, banana, water and some crackers (not chemically flavoured), cheese and carrot sticks for lunch/snack at school from my parents.

Whether it is ignorance/the image portrayed of American schools overseas, if I'm not mistaken, school lunches in high school are pizza and hot chips? Doesn't really set a good foundation for the future :/ More reason that I want to escape to some corner of Asia not influenced by Western food and sugar-gluttony
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'll flat out assert that a juice, some cookies and even some candy Every Day for a kid who otherwise eats a healthy diet and exercises, isn't going to hurt him or her. It is in the balance and portion sizes. But go ahead, spin, spin, spin with the OP. My kids will continue to enjoy their treats, hit all of the fitness standards with ease, and stay at the bottom of the weight charts. It's either magic or science. Think what you wish.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

What can you do???LOL

ETA: If you'd like to see my 'continuity and consistency' take a gander through my past posts. There aren't that many, relatively speaking.

So it's ok to be mean as long as you don't agree with the OP and that negates it down to what? A just punishment?

"But Sally was being mean first!"
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I'll flat out assert that a juice, some cookies and even some candy Every Day for a kid who otherwise eats a healthy diet and exercises, isn't going to hurt him or her. It is in the balance and portion sizes. But go ahead, spin, spin, spin with the OP. My kids will continue to enjoy their treats, hit all of the fitness standards with ease, and stay at the bottom of the weight charts. It's either magic or science. Think what you wish.

Wizardry, clearly.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Every day for the entirety of grade school, my lunch consisted of a butter and jelly sandwich and a bag of chips...butter because I hated peanut butter. I ate very differently at home. I've never had a problem with my weight/health. My kids eat somewhat atrociously often but are remarkably fit/healthy in activity and body composition.

An overall "healthy" diet isn't always what people think it is...and "health" is more than what's in a lunch bag.
This discussion has been closed.