1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options

Replies

• sillysquirrel68
    Options
    I looked at your diary..your exercise calories seem a bit high, are u wearing a HRM?

I would also suggest consulting a dietitian to make sure you are eating the right balance of foods..a lot seemed to be processed, but I'm not a professional..I'm a work in progress :)

I don't wear a HRM. I estimate my exercise calories just based off what others say they are burning doing those exercises. I went with a lower number to be safe. But, I don't eat back my exercise calories, so should that even matter?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I am sure that works great for those that have the time and desire, but I just don't see myself weighing a spoonful of peanut butter or a tsp of sugar. If the calories listed on food packages is that far off, how do I know I can trust my scale? Or how do I know if the weight of that particular food is really the calories the package says? I guess I just don't believe that getting that obsessed about what the exact calories were in my portion is necessary. If it was 10 calories more....oh well. Maybe it was 12 calories less...It just seems that it would all come out in the wash. I feel that my calorie intake is low enough that even if I added in that bite of cake and it was 200 calories (it's not), I should still be losing something. And no disrespect to those of you that do weigh everything. I admire you, but it's just not something I will ever do.

and it only took 8 pages for it to come to this conclusion ... sigh ... you are currently eating at maintenance and it's not 1200 cals like you think it is, you are eating more then you think and as you are experiencing it is not just coming out in the wash

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    You do weigh some foods on a scale, but you should weight everything.
    Weigh out those chips instead of counting 14 of them to eat.
    Put your bread on the scale, Tare to 0, then add the mayo or peanut butter, and weight it.
    Weigh the teaspoon' of sugar.
    Most nutrition labels have both the volume (cup, teaspoon) and the weight for the serving. Use the weight information.

And have a check up with your doctor if you haven,t recently, just in case it is a thyroid or other issue.

I am sure that works great for those that have the time and desire, but I just don't see myself weighing a spoonful of peanut butter or a tsp of sugar. If the calories listed on food packages is that far off, how do I know I can trust my scale? Or how do I know if the weight of that particular food is really the calories the package says? I guess I just don't believe that getting that obsessed about what the exact calories were in my portion is necessary. If it was 10 calories more....oh well. Maybe it was 12 calories less...It just seems that it would all come out in the wash. I feel that my calorie intake is low enough that even if I added in that bite of cake and it was 200 calories (it's not), I should still be losing something. And no disrespect to those of you that do weigh everything. I admire you, but it's just not something I will ever do.
    It isn't that time consuming once you start, maybe an extra five minutes in a whole day. Underestimating your intake truly could be a major part of the problem. A bite of cake, licking the peanut butter spoon and an extra few ounces of granola, can add up to a couple of hundred extra calories easily. Add that to the possibility of overestimating exercise calories and your deficit can disappear. Like many of the others here, I weigh food religiously, and I've lost 123lbs in about 16 months. Maybe try it for a week, just to see?
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    Put your bread on the scale, Tare to 0, then add the mayo or peanut butter, and weight it.
    Most nutrition labels have both the volume (cup, teaspoon) and the weight for the serving. Use the weight information.

And have a check up with your doctor if you haven,t recently, just in case it is a thyroid or other issue.

Peanut butter is among the worst. What I thought was 190 calories of PB was more like 400.

You've been dieting with no success for a year or more, and you don't have the time to weigh your peanut butter?

Fine. Keep doing what you've been doing, and keep seeing the results you've been seeing.

If you want to succeed you'll need to change and start doing it right.

I don't eat peanut butter.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    raise it to 1400-1500 & that will work-
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options

This ^^^^

Yep. Believe me, you will generally err on the 'more calories than you think' side when not logging accurately, and that means weighing and counting EVERYTHING, including bites of cake, sips, licks etc. lol, even if you don't eat peanut butter. It obviously adds up. Anyone who has been eating so little and working out so much would have lost more by now, even with a slowed metabolism. So I'd say you are actually eating/exercising at maintenance, or you would have lost. Try taking the time to be more accurate for a while (a few months) and you will see. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You eat cheese, salad dressing, granola etc - all of which are calorie dense. Also, you eat a lot of take out food. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it can lead to additional inaccuracies. Unless you control the preparation, you do not know how much oil is being used for example.

The point is, unless you weigh your food, and log everything, you do not know what your intake is.

You are not losing on your intake, whatever that is so you are at maintenance.

You may have a slower metabolism than average due to metabolic issues

If you want to see progress, start weighing and see a doctor to get yourself checked for metabolic issues. Alternatively, or as well as, increase your activity.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

Peanut butter is among the worst. What I thought was 190 calories of PB was more like 400.

You've been dieting with no success for a year or more, and you don't have the time to weigh your peanut butter?

Fine. Keep doing what you've been doing, and keep seeing the results you've been seeing.

Okay, but there's salad dressing, bacon bits, and other calorie dense items in your diary that can easily be underestimated. I weigh out my salad dressing and usually end up with 3 or 4 servings before it seems like 1 serving. :ohwell: It's those little things that can add up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    raise it to 1400-1500 & that will work-

How would increasing calories work?
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options

and it only took 8 pages for it to come to this conclusion ... sigh ... you are currently eating at maintenance and it's not 1200 cals like you think it is, you are eating more then you think and as you are experiencing it is not just coming out in the wash

I agree. Everybody seems to undercount when they don't weigh everything. And you'll forget about that handful of chips you had, that "teaspoon" of creamer was really a tablespoon, etc, etc. Here's a simple rule that I use if I'm trying to drop weight: if I can't be bothered to weigh it, I don't eat it.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options

I disagree. I measure. I just don't weigh most things other than meat . If you are saying that I'm not losing weight because I didn't weigh my tortilla chips yesterday and that resulted in me eating 13 instead of the 12 I should have had, or that the 1/8 cup of granola I measured out was really 70 calories instead of 60 because I didn't weigh it, I will have to disagree with you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I disagree. I measure. I just don't weigh most things other than meat . If you are saying that I'm not losing weight because I didn't weigh my tortilla chips yesterday and that resulted in me eating 13 instead of the 12 I should have had, or that the 1/8 cup of granola I measured out was really 70 calories instead of 60 because I didn't weigh it, I will have to disagree with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Well, a lot of what the sillysquirrel has been eating are pre-packaged items, like breakfast sandwiches, which I have to assume have fairly accurate calorie listings and don't require any estimating by the cup or scoop.

So keep with it for awhile-- log your items for a few weeks and see how it goes. :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Well, then best of luck to you!
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options

I agree. Everybody seems to undercount when they don't weigh everything. And you'll forget about that handful of chips you had, that "teaspoon" of creamer was really a tablespoon, etc, etc. Here's a simple rule that I use if I'm trying to drop weight: if I can't be bothered to weigh it, I don't eat it.

I measure out my creamer with a measuring spoon. I counted out my chips. They were the uniform round ones to those of you that are going to tell me how far off that can be. Weighing everything that I eat is not sustainable for me. I don't know anyone that does that, and I have a lot of fit friends. Just sayin.....I don't think it is a requirement for weight loss, at least not for everyone. I do measure, but weighing a spoonful of sugar is just making me shake my head. How about if I don't fill my measuring spoons and cups all of the way to the top, to account for all of those calories I am missing?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I measure out my creamer with a measuring spoon. I counted out my chips. They were the uniform round ones to those of you that are going to tell me how far off that can be. Weighing everything that I eat is not sustainable for me. I don't know anyone that does that, and I have a lot of fit friends. Just sayin.....I don't think it is a requirement for weight loss, at least not for everyone. I do measure, but weighing a spoonful of sugar is just making me shake my head. How about if I don't fill my measuring spoons and cups all of the way to the top, to account for all of those calories I am missing?

It isn't - but it's usually a good idea for those not seeing progress.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options

Okay, but there's salad dressing, bacon bits, and other calorie dense items in your diary that can easily be underestimated. I weigh out my salad dressing and usually end up with 3 or 4 servings before it seems like 1 serving. :ohwell: It's those little things that can add up.

I measure my dressing, bacon bits, and mayo with a TBSP. I just don't weigh it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

Did you watch the video Sara posted in the last page?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    It really is eye opening. As I already suggested, take the time to weigh everything you normally eat, for a week or so and see if you've been overestimating in any areas. It's worth a shot, right? :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    >> This is nonsense <<

Pretty opinionated for a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about, and offers no proof to the contrary other than his assertion. The fact that protein requires more calories to metabolize is well established:

- http://www.livestrong.com/article/299424-calories-burned-digesting-protein/
    - http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/10-fat-burning-foods-you-should-be-eating.html
    - http://www.rd.com/health/fitness/5-fitness-myths-you-need-to-forget/
    - Feinman RD, Fine EJ. “A calorie is a calorie” violates the second law of thermodynamics. Nutr J. 2004 Jul 28;3:9. PubMed PMID: 15282028; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC506782.
    - Halton TL, Hu FB. The effects of high protein diets on thermogenesis, satiety and weight loss: a critical review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2004 Oct;23(5):373-85. Review. PubMed PMID: 15466943.
    - Johnston CS, Day CS, Swan PD. Postprandial thermogenesis is increased 100% on a high-protein, low-fat diet versus a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet in healthy, young women. J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Feb;21(1):55-61. PubMed PMID: 11838888.

But who are you going to believe, the experts or the guy with a cat on his shoulder?

The difference is simply not significant within the confines of a normal diet. If you ate all your calories from protein vs all your calories from carbs, then there would be a measurable difference. But within reasonable, human macronutrient partitions? Not so much.

You won't suddenly start losing weight by maintaining the same calorie intake but getting an extra 10-15% of your calories from protein.

I see someone quoted the Eugene Fine studies on Metabolic Advantage as evidence towards "well-established" something or other.
    That is not the case. These papers are theoretical in nature or selective reviews of studies and while interesting have significant issues (not the least being self circular referencing articles - that's a no no). They do not prove anything but set up a theory of possible metabolic advantage in one diet versus another. While this might be true. There is also evidence questioning the framework and arguing for the absence of MA at least as proposed in those early papers.

Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.short
This discussion has been closed.