stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Lose weight first, then add weights, or compromise and do both at the same time?

Doing both at the same time is generally more efficient.

It takes far less effort and time to maintain your existing muscle mass than to lose it and then try and rebuild what you you have lost by going through the supercompensation cycle multiple times.

+1
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lose weight first, then add weights, or compromise and do both at the same time?

It takes far less effort and time to maintain your existing muscle mass than to lose it and then try and rebuild what you you have lost by going through the supercompensation cycle multiple times.

Agreed.

It is also not really a compromise - strength training is metabolically beneficial.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Wish I had time to read this now.....so BUMP to read later. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_msm77yy6DX1qz4rgp.gif
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    at 300+ lbs, and a former cardioholic..i say lifting>cardio anyday. I have seen people literally look like someone else in a little over a year by losing weight doing nothing but lifting and eating at a deficit. one woman in particular on my FL lost 120 lbs, and maybe did cardio once a week. She doesn't even look lik eshe carried tha tmuch weight on her. I believe her Success Story was on MFP.

I have lost a total of 8 1/2 inches since I started lifting. I am down a pants size, but weigh exactly the same as when i started. The issue there is with my calorie counting. Which i have hopefully worked out. I have lost and gained the same 10 lbs since starting in september. It is frustrating but that is on me. Not everyone wil llike lifting..but its proven that it can help. I tried running.walking. Treadmills are mind-numbingly boring. And I literally have zero time to walk outside after or before work (when its pitch dark out)

I lift with my boyfriend 4-5 times a week now. he sees improvements, i see improvements and hell, it simply makes me feel like a BEAST. I can deadlift more than some men at my gym! :P

Do what works for you, but i have read article after article about how stale cardio isnt the best option. And for the girl who said she never sees runners with the kind of problems obese people have.. thats just because you cant see it doesnt mean they don't have issues... Read up on Cardiac issues with Marathon runners, knee, joint and tendon problems etc. I know people who are overweight and are perfectly healthy aside from being overweight. I am 300+ lbs, i have normal blood preassure, no Diabetes (nor am i near having it), no heart or liver problems. The only issue i have is my knees, which can mostly stem from a Softball career, and then the extra weight. Overall though I feel great. Id probably feel a hell of a lot better with 100 lbs off me though.

Lifting is giving me my strength back, I don't want to lose 100 lbs and THEN decide its time to start toning..Why can't i just tone WHILE i lose weight..so when i get to my GW im fit and toned. Seems like a win win to me!

Best of luck to everyone no matter the route they choose. Everyone deserves to be healthy and Happy. Find your own way and make your Jouney about you! :)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    No, no-- women will get bulky in like, days.

bush-shoe-dodgeball.gif
  • bigred503
    Options
    cardio has a purpose. so does lifting weights. i personally enjoy weights more.

Also to the ladies making cracks about my look good naked goal. That is one of MY goals. It doesnt have to be yours. I feel I personally look fine in clothes, I want to look good out of clothes as well (naked... bathing suit...) and be confident in myself. I as well spend most of my time clothed but look good naked = looking even better in clothes.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    From a body sculpting perspective, lifting weights is probably more important because it allows you to retain lean body mass.

However, from a fitness perspective cardio is very important, too.

I don't think this is the either/or dichotomy people make it out to be. Do cardio as hard as you can for 30 min, then lift for 20-30 minutes. Done.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Some ladies look great from using weights, some do not. On the other end of the spectrum it annoys me seeing men that just do weights and no cardio. They end up gigantic muscle freaks with no flexibility. A good balance of strength and cardio is the key to a healthy body.

+1

http://is.gd/5ANVCy
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Personally I don't like weight training. It isn't that I don't enjoy it, I have done it in the past and it resulted in me gaining a substantial amount of muscle. For a woman I have a naturally muscular body. I didn't look huge and bulky by any means but I did look masculine from weight training. Instead of weight training now I use my own body weight to tone and strengthen. I get a much nicer lean toned body that way without the extra muscle mass.
    Some ladies look great from using weights, some do not. On the other end of the spectrum it annoys me seeing men that just do weights and no cardio. They end up gigantic muscle freaks with no flexibility. A good balance of strength and cardio is the key to a healthy body.

Freaks? Wut?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like weight training. It isn't that I don't enjoy it, I have done it in the past and it resulted in me gaining a substantial amount of muscle. For a woman I have a naturally muscular body. I didn't look huge and bulky by any means but I did look masculine from weight training. Instead of weight training now I use my own body weight to tone and strengthen. I get a much nicer lean toned body that way without the extra muscle mass.

1) It seems like you do not have a basic understanding of how one gains muscle mass. It is not from lifting weights alone.

2) Ditto what Sara said- Freaks? Wut? :huh: Body-shaming is not okay, even when you're referring to people who are extremely built.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

No you didn't, and no they didn't.
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like deep water aerobics because we are moving for an hour! Don't like the weights!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Tom Platz could do the splits....so
  • sassabella
    Options
    I have found significant improvements from doing weights. I'm really sick of this idea that women get bulky from doing weights. The women that DO get bulky from doing weights are because their goals are to become that way (ie: body-building comps etc)

I love doing weights and have found that my arms, butt and thighs are starting to look more toned. I'm also starting to see the start of a six pack abs and I am still maintaining a feminine physique. You're not gonna look like a dude and all bulky and manly if you start lifting. Its just doesn't work like that.
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights doesnt make you big ....lifting cakes on the other hand ......

Heh heh. Indeed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Go to fitness site

Step 2: Call body builders freaks

Step 3: ???

Step 4: profit

It's a foolproof plan, really.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1) It seems like you do not have a basic understanding of how one gains muscle mass. It is not from lifting weights alone.

2) Ditto what Sara said- Freaks? Wut? :huh: Body-shaming is not okay, even when you're referring to people who are extremely built.

Also seems to think that if you do cardio you are flexible. Brb getting all bendy on the elliptical,
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well I do both! Just love how I feel after running and weight lifting... Powerful BEASTRESS!!

+1 I have found an enlightened balance between them so I don't have to choose!!
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio junky, and it served it's purpose, I lost a fair bit of weight. Then my trainer took me in the 'big boy room' and introduced me to Mr Barbell and Mr Dumbbell. Best thing ever, I am still new to it all, but I can now deadlift just over 1.5 times my body weight, love anything weight training related and only spend about 15% of my time in the gym doing cardio.

Below is a pic of my back/arm/shoulder progress since I started lifting heavy, the pic on the bottom was taken at the beginning of sept, the top one was taken at the end of Oct. If I concentrated more on my diet I would probably see more progress, but overall I am happy with the progress so far.

backcompare28thoct_zpsae17a4c9.jpg