Posting your relationship on facebook

Options
12346»

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I had a friend during the course of a frape change my status to "in an open relationship". It got 9 likes including 4 from non close relatives :huh: :laugh:
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Ha.. Facebook XD I closed mine down ages ago.
    If he doesn't want to post it, why make him? Just explain to him that it hurts you and have him hide the status if it isn't already.
  • Brit_tompkins
    Brit_tompkins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't care for everyone knowing my business on Facebook and I'm not fond of the alerts of in a relationship/break up etc. I certainly don't hide it though, I have pictures posted. The fact that you asked and he said no concerns me and I don't think I could tolerate it. I don't mind that my boyfriend and I aren't linked in there.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Now I know why I always feel guilty when I say I don't have facebook.

Honestly I don't!!!
  • erinj16
    erinj16 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If he's committed to YOU, he would change it & not give a **** what anyone else thinks.

As someone who just got out of a relationship where the guy wasn't faithful, I can tell you...he either commits to you in EVERY way or dump him.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't bother changing it ... but if it's because he's too embarrassed about the relationship, I think you should look for someone else ...
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This may have been said, but FB relationships are just there for entertainment, in my opinion. I would be more worried about making sure the person you are talking to is in fact the person you think you are talking to. There is a lot of catfishing going on, especially since the movie and the TV shows are making it pretty big now.

Good luck to you.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm still single on FB but my girlfriend doesn't have a FB account so what she doesn't know won't hurt her, it's nice to have all those women still throw themselves at me and flirt with all of them!

LOL! :laugh:
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you've only been dating for two weeks, it doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. Have you met face to face?
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had it posted once with a previous relationship and the peanut gallery had their fun with it. So I didn't update my relationship status through the 3.5 years of dating/engagement with my husband. I only changed it recently to married. But I haven't even changed my name!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Wow! There must be alot of OLD people on MFP. For me, if you are in a monogamous relationship and you are on FB, then both sides should automatically change their status to "in a relationship". It's not a big deal.....and it's not airing your personal life or whatever the haters are saying. If someone doesn't post that they are in a relationship, I would think something is up. Like they don't really like you as much as you think or they don't think you have a monagamous relationship or they are embarassed of you.

I'm an "old" one at 37 and still feel exactly this way!

That said, two weeks is not a long time - so that much is true. My husband and I had the whole "love at first meeting" thing and we were inseparable from the very first date, yet we still waited a month or so to change our facebook settings to in a relationship and I still think that wasn't very long before doing so.

If someone has their facebook set to "it's complicated" I totally imagine they are in a messy situation with a new partner and still messing about with their former partner and that it is probably related to custody/child support issues LOL
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you've only been dating for two weeks, it doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. Have you met face to face?

They've apparently been in a LDR for 8 months and have just spent 2 weeks together. He still doesn't want to update his status.

To the people ridiculing OP: shame on you. Seriously. Straight-up making fun of her relationship is pretty f'in pathetic. Directly laughing at her very real concern is pretty f'in pathetic. Yeah you're all so awesome and mature that silly things like Facebook are stupid to you. Some of you come right out and say anyone using Facebook is an idiot anyway.

This is pathetic.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options
    Please say you've actually met in person, and most likely he's playing you, just being honest...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Please say you've actually met in person, and most likely he's playing you, just being honest...

Couldn't even make it through the very first sentence of the OP, I see.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options

Couldn't even make it through the very first sentence of the OP, I see.

Oh yeah I see they've met, but still he's probably playing her?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

They've apparently been in a LDR for 8 months and have just spent 2 weeks together. He still doesn't want to update his status.

To the people ridiculing OP: shame on you. Seriously. Straight-up making fun of her relationship is pretty f'in pathetic. Directly laughing at her very real concern is pretty f'in pathetic. Yeah you're all so awesome and mature that silly things like Facebook are stupid to you. Some of you come right out and say anyone using Facebook is an idiot anyway.

This is pathetic.

I agree that there's no need for ridicule. At the same time, there are legit reasons to not make your relationship status public and if the relationship is strong, it shouldn't matter. If she is concerned because he may be "playing her" then that's a different story.

OP- I think you need to have a heart to heart with this guy to better understand his reasons.
  • jonnythan
    Options

This is pathetic.

I agree that there's no need for ridicule. At the same time, there are legit reasons to not make your relationship status public and if the relationship is strong, it shouldn't matter. If she is concerned because he may be "playing her" then that's a different story.

OP- I think you need to have a heart to heart with this guy to better understand his reasons.

There are legit reasons not to change FB relationship status, absolutely. But just making fun of people because they're in an LDR or use Facebook is beyond the pale, even for MFP.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

There are legit reasons not to change FB relationship status, absolutely. But just making fun of people because they're in an LDR or use Facebook is beyond the pale, even for MFP.

Agreed. Facebook haters are gonna hate, but I have no idea why people are making fun of an LDR.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

This is pathetic.

Well said!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

This is pathetic.

Thank you! I find it funny that so many people are hating on Facebook. So do they think posting on forums is better than FB? Seriously, why the double standards?