Relatively light people trying to get leaner

Options

Replies

• corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    First time ever coming across this thread, and I've gotta say it's the BOMB!!! best ever on this forum.

If every trainer at the large gyms were like you, there would be a much higher percentage of regular and rational fitness enthusiasts.

BTW, this thread should be in the Fitness and Exercise forum as well.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    First time ever coming across this thread, and I've gotta say it's the BOMB!!! best ever on this forum.

If every trainer at the large gyms were like you, there would be a much higher percentage of regular and rational fitness enthusiasts.

BTW, this thread should be in the Fitness and Exercise forum as well.

Well thanks very much. Large gyms tend not to attract quality trainers. They're more interested in hiring salesmen and women who call themselves trainers. I mean, they're a great place for young or new trainers to start out. Their goal though, if they're serious about this field, should be to graduate from there and either go work for an independently owned facility that's run by *true* professionals or branch out on their own.

That's what I did anyhow.

This industry's a wreck really. I'm putting out the 3rd part to my "state of the industry" article hopefully early next week. Stay tuned.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread full of great advice, I love it!

This might be slightly off topic, but my fitness goal is actually to be able to pick up a heavy metal pole and smash a zombie head with it. It might sound aggressive, but my fitness level is so low that Im afraid I could not even run away from the zombie - or hit it correctly!
    So Im doing cardio (to run away) and weight lifting (to smash the zombie with the rod).
    I have just started but I am really enthusiastic. I feel I can do something with this body!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Well thanks very much. Large gyms tend not to attract quality trainers. They're more interested in hiring salesmen and women who call themselves trainers. I mean, they're a great place for young or new trainers to start out. Their goal though, if they're serious about this field, should be to graduate from there and either go work for an independently owned facility that's run by *true* professionals or branch out on their own.

That's what I did anyhow.

This industry's a wreck really. I'm putting out the 3rd part to my "state of the industry" article hopefully early next week. Stay tuned.

That's funny you mentioned it, because though I go 4x a week to a large gym near me for the weights, I just recently started going to a small independent studio once every 2 weeks for a real trainer (albeit pricey).

I noticed you and others mention sporadically throughout this thread that spot training is not realistic. I wonder if you ever came across Dr. Lonnie Lowery's article titled "Spot Reduction is Real: Here's How To Do It – 2/01/2011" on [Male hormone]-Nation? If so, do you agree with the key principles?

Thanks again for an excellent, educational thread.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've watched this thread occasionally when it pops up in the recent list. I think there's a lot of good advice here, and want to follow it a little more regularly. Steve, if you don't mind, I'd like to send you a message for some more personalized advice.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    This is a great thread full of great advice, I love it!

This might be slightly off topic, but my fitness goal is actually to be able to pick up a heavy metal pole and smash a zombie head with it. It might sound aggressive, but my fitness level is so low that Im afraid I could not even run away from the zombie - or hit it correctly!
    So Im doing cardio (to run away) and weight lifting (to smash the zombie with the rod).
    I have just started but I am really enthusiastic. I feel I can do something with this body!

I have to tell ya... this is new to me, lol. I've never had a client come to me wanting help fighting zombies!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    That's funny you mentioned it, because though I go 4x a week to a large gym near me for the weights, I just recently started going to a small independent studio once every 2 weeks for a real trainer (albeit pricey).

If you don't mind, I'd love to know which studio if they have a website. And I'd love to know what they charge. If you'd be more comfortable emailing me this info, that'd be fine.
    I noticed you and others mention sporadically throughout this thread that spot training is not realistic. I wonder if you ever came across Dr. Lonnie Lowery's article titled "Spot Reduction is Real: Here's How To Do It – 2/01/2011" on [Male hormone]-Nation? If so, do you agree with the key principles?

To be honest, I've not read the article. I don't go to t-nation at all anymore. I used to spend some time there when the quality of article was better. But their authors get paid to 1) pimp their supps (which is a no no where I come from) and 2) to write new ideas. But the problem is there are no new ideas. So they recreate the old ones over and over again without giving credit to the originals and in doing so, make it seem like what they're writing about is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It's sad what's happening over there.

Especially considering some of the people they have on staff there - very good folks like Eric Cressey, Mike Roberson, Dave Tate, Dan John, Jim Wendler and a few others. But it's the nature of the business I suppose.

Regarding the article though, after reading through the first paragraph or two, it sounds like good old doc lowery read Lyle McDonald's "Stubborn Fat Solution" and decided to write about it as his own.

There's some truth to being able to preferentially tap into stubborn body fat with very specific modes of cardio and nutrition timing. But it's really only applicable if you're lean trying to get leaner. And more importantly, it's not true spot reduction in that it's not like we're saying you can specifically target the fat on your arm by doing tricep exercises or anything like that.

If you want to learn all about the protocol as well as the physiology behind it, I highly recommend Lyle's Stubborn Fat book.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I've watched this thread occasionally when it pops up in the recent list. I think there's a lot of good advice here, and want to follow it a little more regularly. Steve, if you don't mind, I'd like to send you a message for some more personalized advice.

Go right ahead. I get 5-10 emails about this thread each and every day.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    And here's Lyle's thoughts on the article you referenced:
    Sadly, Lonnie seems to be confusing cause and effect here. The fat isn't stubborn because it's cold. It's cold because it has poor blood flow, which is why it's stubborn
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    if anyone else has more recommendations though that would be great, the more info I can get the better. I'm definitely interested in putting more effort into this sort of exercise... turns out I was doing more than I thought already though as the DVDs I use have quite a lot of these exercises on them. Maybe I need bigger weights!

The exercise isn't as important as the load and volume.

Put differently, doing a squat isn't "magic." But doing a squat with sufficient load and volume will trigger changes to your muscles. It's not the exercise. It's how the exercise is performed.
    oh yes - that brings up a new question actually... what sort of weight of dumbells would you recommend for a reasonably fit/strong female to be using if newish to weight lifting?
    I have 1.5kg ones at home but I think they are too light. What should I be trying to build up to?

You should really read this entire thread. I know it's a time commitment, but it would really pay off for you. I posted these links earlier in this thread and you should read them as they explain the answer to your question about "what should I be building up to."

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/more-random-thoughts-on-resistance-training-19945

thanks again
    I thought I had read the whole thread but it is very long so I guess I was skimming a bit ;)
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    bump (It seems like there is a wealth of valuable information here, I definately want to spend some time reading the entire thread. If only I can get the children to sleep....)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I've my 9 month old sleeping right here next to me. It's easy when this young though. :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. :flowerforyou:
  • locomotion
    Options
    bump
  • zcosborne86
    Options
    bump! This is great thank you!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for the bumps guys. Glad you're able to derive some usefulness from the thread.
  • sexyjeans
    sexyjeans Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting all of this information. Your thoughtful and educational responses to all of the questions people have about metabolism/lean muscle mass etc. were much more appreciated than a previous "trainer" who basically came on MFP and chided people for starving themselves (eating less than 1500-2000 calories a day) and said basically we should ALL be doing the same thing nutritionally (eating 2000 calories a day) without taking into account gender, bone structure, exercise habits, body fat percentage, metabolism or health issues, and so on...I will definitely come check out your blog. (even though I'm a heavier person just trying to be "average" at this point :)