Relatively light people trying to get leaner

Options

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the response :) I will def not do that then I am not able to get to a gym though do you reccomend any at home things like P90X or insanity

I have not seen insanity. Someone sent me p90x in the mail because they wanted me to critique it and frankly, it's a decent set up. It's nothing special and personally I'd much rather belong to a gym with a weight room so I could customize the workout to my liking. But I'm not a prepackaged program kind of guy. Hell, designing customized programs for people is what I do for a living.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm mistaken she said/meant that if all you care about is the number on the scale, then sure... just do low calories, light weight and high rep weight lifting and cardio.

If you actually care about what you look like, then you're going to have to add more serious strength training.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

And the idea of waiting to start strength training after you reach a goal weight is misguided. Strength training is in place during a fat loss regiment to help preserve the muscle mass you currently have. If winding up a lighter, yet still soft version of your former self is what you're shooting for... then ignore me.

Like I said, I am doing some strength training and it's because I understand the idea of preserving muscle mass during fat loss. What I'm not doing is heavy or intense strength training with a focus on gaining muscle. It's not that once I reach my goal I want to add strength training entirely, but that I would shift my focus and intensity.

I feel like maybe I'm being a little hard-headed so I'll probably make some changes and then I'll realize just what all you and Kdiamond have been saying and Then I'll get it. I'm just one of those types that takes everything and has to feel it out on my own, even if it takes longer that way, lol. If that is the case, at least I'm getting the info now rather than later.
    Yup. And I would bump them up.

I'm gonna do just that. Thanks for all of the help and info. :smile:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Great information!!! I was wondering about the same thing for lifting? I have the programs p90x and Chalean Extreme and was wondering what you thought for using them as lifiting guides. They both recommend heavy lifting with 9-12 reps for muscle fatigue depending on the individual and their ability. Oh and I also have used the New Rules of LIfitng for Women also.

See above for my thoughts pertaining to p90x. I don't like the fancy marketing and BS science they use to sell the product, but the actual set up of the program isn't bad.

I've not seen Chalean Extreme.

I've also not read the NROL for Women but someone did send me the NROL regular for my critique and it actually was half decent. However I wouldn't pay for it simply b/c much of the info can be found on the web for free and more importantly, the one author I have an issue with. He plagiarized a number of professionals in the industry and sold it as his original work.

If you read my article in my MFP blog, you can use that to gauge the efficacy of other programs. Does "the program" abide by the "rules" I outline in the article?

Here is the link again since this thread is turning into a monster and I'm sure stuff is getting hard to find:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

And this follow up article would help as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/more-random-thoughts-on-resistance-training-19945
    I do pay attention to the scale but honestly would much rather see a lean and toned body then focus on what that darn scale says. I am 5'3'' and currently 144ish and ultimately have a weight goal of 133-134lb but like I said Id rather be toned and focus on inches.

One formula that some people like to toy around with is the "what you'll weigh when you reach your goal body fat?"

To use the formula though, you need to know your body fat %.

For instance, if you're 140 lbs and 25% body fat:

Your fat mass is (140 x .25) 35 lbs.

Your fat free mass is (140 - 35) 105 lbs.

Now suppose your goal body fat % is 18%.

You then divide your Fat Free Mass (FFM) by you're goal body fat % as a decimal from 1. Sounds confusing, but it looks like this:

FFM / (1 - goal body fat % as a decimal)

Using the example above, the math would look like this:

105 / (1 - .18) = 128

128 is what you would weigh if you reached 18% body fat without losing any muscle.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    what is a lean body fat% for women?

oh -- and thanks for all those numbers :love:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm back!
    I've been a quiet reader for a little while to give other's a chance to ask their questions as well.
    I'm really confused about what I should be eating now, from all these posts.
    Sure this site says I should be eating 1200, but from your calculation on the first post, I should be eating 125x12 = 1500. I feel like I have trouble maintaning my 1200, so how would the 1500 help me? I'm obviously doing something wrong, because I'm not seeing any results, not with the scale and not with the body toning. I'm definitely at a good weight, and I do look good for my height, but I'm surely not as fit as the next guy.

It's important to note that 12 cal/lb is my starting point for most folks with the goal of fat loss. I've seen it have to go as low as 8 cal/lb. 10 is generally the sweet spot, but I like to have people eating as much as possible while still seeing progress toward their goals consistently.

In your particular case, you're already right around 10 cal/lb. I'd hate to see you drop from there.

I'm confused by who's who now as I've talked to so many people in this thread and via private message because of this thread. So forgive me if I already asked you this... but how long have you been eating 1200? And how certain are you that you're actually eating 1200 day in and out?

There comes a point where losing more weight isn't the answer and focusing on building muscle is. That might be where you're currently at. Very few people get to reach their goal weights, even when doing things perfectly, and be content. More often than not it takes cycles of focusing on muscle building alternated with cycles focusing on fat loss. In very general terms, these require a calorie surplus and a calorie deficit respectively.

If that's not where you're at, then I'd say:

1. Your calories are higher than you believe.

2. You've been eating in a deficit and exercising for too long without a break and your body is rebelling.

3. You're not being patient enough.

I'm just throwing the possibilities out there. I can't put my finger on the exact problem, unfortunately. That's on you to figure out.
    And when you say light weights, what's considered light? What's the least "light" weight any person should be lifting?

I can't give you an absolute value. When assessing "heavy enough" we need to look at things as a percentage of maximum. In order to realize the sort of adaptations we're talking about here (increased strength and muscle growth/maintenance) you generally need to be exercising using 70-95+ % of your maximum ability. This generally translates into 1-12 reps per set.

So for instance, if you're maximum effort in the bench press is 100 lbs, that'd mean you can do 100 lbs for 1 rep only.

You'd want to be using weights in the 70-95% range, so 70-95 lbs.

The heavier the weight relative to your max, the fewer reps you can do per set.

Now this would require you to know your maximum in each and every exercise, which isn't realistic.

So my suggestion for most folks is to start very conservatively using weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range. You want it to feel very light at first while you learn the various movements. Once you're 100% comfortable with the movements, you can start adding weight slowly and gradually from workout to workout. Maybe only 5-10 lb jumps. Eventually you'll be in the sweet zone of 70-95%.

You don't ever want to be failing, meaning the weight is so heavy that you literally fail to lift the weight and it must be taken for you or it falls on you. That's unnecessary. Rather, you want to have the weight "feel" heavy enough where you're leaving 1-2 reps left in the tank by the end of your set.

This probably sounds confusing... I feel like I'm doing a poor job of explaining it. If that's the case, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I suppose another way of looking at it is using RPEs or rating of perceived exertions. A great book written by Mike Tuchscherer. He lays out an RPE scale in that book that I use with my own clients:

o 10: Maximal, no reps left in the tank at end of set
    o 9: Last rep is tough but still one rep left in the tank
    o 8: Weight is too heavy to maintain fast bar speed but isn’t a struggle; 2–4 reps left
    o 7: Weight moves quickly when maximal force is applied to the weight; “speed weight”
    o 6: Light speed work; moves quickly with moderate force
    o 5: Most warm-up weights
    o 4: Recovery; usually 20 plus rep sets; not hard but intended to flush the muscle
    o An RPE below four isn’t important.

We'd want to be around a 8 or a 9 most of the time.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oo, another formula. Well this is interesting.

I used the earlier idea of 14-16 calories per pound with a deficit of 30%.

15 x 125 = 1875

1875 x .3 = 562.5

1875 - 562.5 = 1312.5

Not that much more than I'm eating now. Then for body fat percentage I did a test a couple weeks ago that put me at 23.6% (we'll be safe and say 24%). So if I aim for 20%:

125 x .24 = 30

125 - 30 = 95

95 / (1 - .2) = 118.75.

Again extremely close to what I was already aiming for. I know these formulas aren't exact science or perfect for everyone, but in general I have the right idea going. From the looks of it it goes back to the original post: I need to stick with it and not get discouraged because it's coming slowly. I feel like I'm on the right track.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Ok thanks I might have a go at a few things. I already do pull ups so I might try push ups. Also I think my dad has some dumbbells so I might have a go with those. Thing is how can I work my legs? My arms really are no problem to me as they're the smallest thing on my body. My legs/thighs/bum is where the weight goes and takes some shifting!

First, keep in mind that muscle doesn't turn into fat and fat doesn't turn into muscle. We're not able to spot reduce fat. So while strength training your legs is important... it's not going to preferentially burn the fat in your problem areas.

Secondly, are you looking for specific exercises you can do for your legs. If so, youtube any of these:

body weight squats
    goblet squats
    dumbbell squats
    reverse lunge
    walking lunge
    alternating lunge
    glute bridge
    hip thrusts
    suitcase deadlifts
    conventional deadlifts
    romanian deadlifts
    step ups
    single leg squats
    box squats

I could go on and on.
    Also I'm confused by this 1200cal thing. It doesn't seem too difficult for me. I never ate more than 1500cals before anyway so it really isnt a big cut down. Could this means that it suits me? I eat most of my exercise cals back too. But the slow progress....does this indicate I should eat a little more even if it's an extra apple etc a day? Thanks

I'm confused. If you're eating your exercise calories, you're actually eating more than 1200 calories. No?

And yes, fruit does good things for women and fat loss.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Like I said, I am doing some strength training and it's because I understand the idea of preserving muscle mass during fat loss. What I'm not doing is heavy or intense strength training with a focus on gaining muscle. It's not that once I reach my goal I want to add strength training entirely, but that I would shift my focus and intensity.

Yea, I got that. But her original point was if you're interested in the scale only, focus on LIGHT weights.

If you're interested in looking toned, focus on HEAVY weights.

That's the distinction you're missing. Or I'm not making my point clear enough.

Simply moving weights around without paying attention to intensity (defined as a % of maximum effort) doesn't cut it as far as muscle preservation goes.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    what is a lean body fat% for women?

oh -- and thanks for all those numbers :love:

Well, women genetically carry more fat than men. Essential fat is between 9-12%. That's the stuff you need to maintain health. It's a tough question to answer b/c different women "wear" different body fat % differently. So 20% covering up a nice base of muscle might look great while 20% on someone else with terribly low levels of muscle mass might look crappy.

The female bodybuilders and figure competitors probably come in on stage around 10% or so.

I doubt anyone here is going for that look.

15-20% is probably a very good look on most women who have done the right things, muscularly speaking.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Oo, another formula. Well this is interesting.

I used the earlier idea of 14-16 calories per pound with a deficit of 30%.

15 x 125 = 1875

1875 x .3 = 562.5

1875 - 562.5 = 1312.5

Not that much more than I'm eating now. Then for body fat percentage I did a test a couple weeks ago that put me at 23.6% (we'll be safe and say 24%). So if I aim for 20%:

125 x .24 = 30

125 - 30 = 95

95 / (1 - .2) = 118.75.

Again extremely close to what I was already aiming for. I know these formulas aren't exact science or perfect for everyone, but in general I have the right idea going. From the looks of it it goes back to the original post: I need to stick with it and not get discouraged because it's coming slowly. I feel like I'm on the right track.

I'm happy for you :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Phew, you guys are keeping me on my toes! If I missed any questions, please ask again. I'm trying to get to everyone's questions as fast as I can. And if you haven't read the two articles I linked to from my blog here at MFP, please do so before asking questions about strength training.

Thanks!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I see where our disconnect is and I think it's my fault, lol. While I do partake in strength training I'm not doing anything major. Just like you said the way you would do it I'm working on weight loss through diet, light weights, and cardio. I do want to increase my strength but that's something I want to focus more on once I've changed weight and body fat.

Unless I'm mistaken she said/meant that if all you care about is the number on the scale, then sure... just do low calories, light weight and high rep weight lifting and cardio.

If you actually care about what you look like, then you're going to have to add more serious strength training.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

And the idea of waiting to start strength training after you reach a goal weight is misguided. Strength training is in place during a fat loss regiment to help preserve the muscle mass you currently have. If winding up a lighter, yet still soft version of your former self is what you're shooting for... then ignore me.
    I think my stall is from my body getting used to those 1200 calories. What I've been debating lately is if I should go ahead and start upping my daily calories. I know that could slow the scale down even more and potentially put a couple pounds on, but I'm more concerned about actually moving forward (even if it takes longer) rather than getting to the weight I want and trying to bump up from there and potentially backtracking my progress. Does that make sense? lol.

Yup. And I would bump them up.

Yes, that is what I was saying, thanks for reiterating. :)

And for the record, as soon as a couple of weeks/3 weeks after I bumped up my calories (and I am only talking 100 calories a day, nothing major), I had weekly strength gains and from taking measurements, noticed a definite change (1/2 inch on my arm, 1/2 inch off my waist) and overall I could see my shape improving. I have stopped weighing myself more than every few weeks now because it is meaningless. The cellulite on the back of my thighs has disappeared, and I feel better. This is so much more of a reward than the number on a scale. I hate to keep repeating myself, but I am that happy about it! :))
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think perseverence really is key when it comes to getting leaner. In the past few weeks my thighs seem to have finally "popped" and now the outer part is really hard and muscular :D. The inner thigh is still a bit soft though,I do sumo deadlifts,squats,and lunges,but is there anything REALLY great for strengthening and working the inner thigh?
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    This probably sounds confusing... I feel like I'm doing a poor job of explaining it. If that's the case, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I suppose another way of looking at it is using RPEs or rating of perceived exertions. A great book written by Mike Tuchscherer. He lays out an RPE scale in that book that I use with my own clients:

Not confusing at all. Makes perfect sense! I guess that's the problem with a lot of people on the "last 10 lbs". We get so bogged down with the number on the scale, that when we don't see results we give up.
    I definitely need to start measuring and strength training rather than just getting upset with the scale. Thanks!

Also, I know there is a lot going on with strength training on this post, but I just wanted to switch gears into the cardio zone, which is just as important for anyone, right?
    I've seen a lot on TV (ahem...biggest loser) and read a lot of articles that say if you need to hold on to the rails you probably need to step down a notch on the treadmill. I just saw the trainer at our work gym walking on the treadmill, at the highest incline, and holding on to the rails. So, is it ok? Or it is just ok for him since he obviously knows what he is doing?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I think perseverence really is key when it comes to getting leaner. In the past few weeks my thighs seem to have finally "popped" and now the outer part is really hard and muscular :D. The inner thigh is still a bit soft though,I do sumo deadlifts,squats,and lunges,but is there anything REALLY great for strengthening and working the inner thigh?

I can't think of any specific inner thigh muscle related exercise but I suppose if you hold 2 db's and go into a side stretch (one leg out and knee bent and other leg straight) then raise up and switch to other side. It sounds a bit like you are wanting to "tone" that area though and as has been said you can't spot reduce fat (and it doesn't magically turn into muscle :P). I would stick with the basic movements and add the above if you want.
    squat
    Deadlift
    front squat
    bulgarian squat

They're my favourites. :)
  • stroutman81
    Options

We don't get to pick and choose where the softness leaves, which I'm sure you know.

That said, your adductors will get trained with the exercises you're using. Give them time. You might also consider throwing in some single leg work such as bulgarian split squats, lunges, single leg squats to a box or bench, single leg DB romanian deadlifts, etc.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Also, I know there is a lot going on with strength training on this post, but I just wanted to switch gears into the cardio zone, which is just as important for anyone, right?

Hmmm, I'd actually argue it's not as important for people in this particular thread in the context of getting lean. Sure, it's great for other things like cardiorespiratory health, endurance, caloric expenditure, etc. But let's remember that becoming lean is a function of fat loss and muscle gain/preservation. Cardio isn't required for either of those. Nutrition can take care of the fat loss and strength training can take care of the muscle.

Now I'm not saying I don't recommend cardio. Not even close. I'm simply saying it's not "just as important" as you put it. At least for not the intended audience of this thread. Someone who has 50+ lbs to lose... well then things change.
    I've seen a lot on TV (ahem...biggest loser) and read a lot of articles that say if you need to hold on to the rails you probably need to step down a notch on the treadmill. I just saw the trainer at our work gym walking on the treadmill, at the highest incline, and holding on to the rails. So, is it ok? Or it is just ok for him since he obviously knows what he is doing?

First off, most trainers don't know what they're doing. This industry is in shambles. And that's an understatement.

As for your question, it's tough to say. Ideally you don't alter natural biomechanics much when doing repetitive stuff like walking on a treadmill. However, I doubt it's going to cause him or anyone else terrible problems unless it's overdone. The real question is why use an intensity you're not ready for without using proper form.
  • ryanifer
    ryanifer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think this is me. I'm 5'7" and was 105 pounds. Now at 109 pounds, I am the same size, but I can run 15 miles at a time and lift weights three times a week. I am in better shape even though I weigh more.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I'd actually argue it's not as important for people in this particular thread in the context of getting lean. Sure, it's great for other things like cardiorespiratory health, endurance, caloric expenditure, etc. But let's remember that becoming lean is a function of fat loss and muscle gain/preservation. Cardio isn't required for either of those. Nutrition can take care of the fat loss and strength training can take care of the muscle.

Now I'm not saying I don't recommend cardio. Not even close. I'm simply saying it's not "just as important" as you put it. At least for not the intended audience of this thread. Someone who has 50+ lbs to lose... well then things change.

[/quote]

Agreed. I was spinning my wheels when I was doing too much cardio. I wasn't gaining muscle. It was creating a deficit I didn't want. Now I only do a couple HIIT sessions a week (20 mins top)...strictly for endurance, NOT for weight loss. Realize that an hour of cardio a day is going to create another 500 calorie deficit, so if you want that, fine, but if not, it is just stripping your muscle gain away...