McDonald's discontinuing Ceasar Salad

Options

Replies

• kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use the whole pouch of southwest dressing. I still say 390 calories isn't bad for a meal that fills me up!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    And? Just how many have you ordered? I'm gonna bet none.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    IMO, Going to a fast food restaurant with "healthy food choices" in mind is like going to a hooker looking for a future wife. It's one of those things you should limit to moderation, and when you do, it frankly doesn't matter how much and of what is in it.

Hundred billion precent agree...you may still lose weight eating only a certain amount of calories be it at a fast food joint or eat clean at home. It just generally does not work well trying to be healthier when you fuel your body with super processed foods. I worked in the fast food industry for years when I was a teen, and the veggies etc that they get are generally very handled and process you'd have no idea. They soak alot of it in mixtures of water and chemicals to make it last longer without going bad,etc....This is something though that most need to learn on their own I think.

Results of weight loss may be same, but overall health no.

You're both a hundred billion percent wrong.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Going to McDonald's for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug. :D
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i think more people would get the salad if it were cheaper. i know i would

I completely agree. Even if they put a small salad on their value menu it would be great. Their food is so unhealthy, but it's cheap and convenient. If their salads cost less or a small one added to their value menu, people would make better choices.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I completely agree. Even if they put a small salad on their value menu it would be great. Their food is so unhealthy, but it's cheap and convenient. If their salads cost less or a small one added to their value menu, people would make better choices.

There is a small salad on the value menu.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Guess what: there's a side salad, with mixed greens and tomatoes, on the Value Menu for $1. Includes a packet of Newman's Own dressing of your choosing.

There's nothing unhealthy about McDonald's.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    IMO, Going to a fast food restaurant with "healthy food choices" in mind is like going to a hooker looking for a future wife. It's one of those things you should limit to moderation, and when you do, it frankly doesn't matter how much and of what is in it.

Hundred billion precent agree...you may still lose weight eating only a certain amount of calories be it at a fast food joint or eat clean at home. It just generally does not work well trying to be healthier when you fuel your body with super processed foods. I worked in the fast food industry for years when I was a teen, and the veggies etc that they get are generally very handled and process you'd have no idea. They soak alot of it in mixtures of water and chemicals to make it last longer without going bad,etc....This is something though that most need to learn on their own I think.

In your opinion ;) However I've seen for years where and how that food comes packaged so I will stick to my opinion :D

Yes, but my opinion is supported by science and research instead of nonsense.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Going to McDonald's for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug. :D

Hey, they give REALLY good hugs!
  • jonnythan
    Options

In your opinion ;) However I've seen for years where and how that food comes packaged so I will stick to my opinion :D

Like to argue huh?

Okay if you have no problem eating foods that have been soaked in synthetic liquid substances to preserve freshness and color then by all means eat away. But not all people wish to consume foods that have been enhanced when they don't need to be. There is no need to talk down to others and insinuate they are uneducated. My only point is I've seen the food up close before its all beautifully arranged to be sold and its not pretty. PERSONALLY I would not eat it, because of reading the labels and "researching afterwards" on the boxes it comes in.

I do like to argue, yes.

I have no problem with people wanting to eat however they want. But when people try to say that something is literally unhealthy when it is not, I'll usually say something.

If you're grossed out for whatever reason by a food, that's OK. But that doesn't mean it's unhealthy. By all means don't eat it if you don't want to. But when you spout some nonsense like "if you eat this you will not be healthy" I will call you out on it. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Like to argue huh?

Okay if you have no problem eating foods that have been soaked in synthetic liquid substances to preserve freshness and color then by all means eat away. But not all people wish to consume foods that have been enhanced when they don't need to be. There is no need to talk down to others and insinuate they are uneducated. My only point is I've seen the food up close before its all beautifully arranged to be sold and its not pretty. PERSONALLY I would not eat it, because of reading the labels and "researching afterwards" on the boxes it comes in.

I do like to argue, yes.

I have no problem with people wanting to eat however they want. But when people try to say that something is literally unhealthy when it is not, I'll usually say something.

If you're grossed out for whatever reason by a food, that's OK. But that doesn't mean it's unhealthy. By all means don't eat it if you don't want to. But when you spout some nonsense like "if you eat this you will not be healthy" I will call you out on it. :)

I've seen numerous scientific studies and I have yet to see anything that indicates eating a combination of cheap, low quality, heavily processed foods in drowned in preservatives with artificial fillers is healthy. But I guess it depends on how you define the term healthy. And call me old fashioned, but that falls more or less under a common sense sort of thing.

Anyway, I'm not some sort of "clean eating" nazi. But I think there's a certain degree of basic logic and common sense that goes into saying that there is more to the "quality" of food than the numbers on the nutrition label. That the origin, the preparation and preservation process, and ingredients/additives used are equally as important in determining whether or not the food is of good quality and can be considered "healthy." This is a hotly debated subject on these boards, I know, but the fact is there isn't enough scientific support to go either way. There are studies that say one way, and there are studies that say the other. But in my eyes, anyway, one side of the argument is supported by a degree of basic logic and common sense that the other is not.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Like to argue huh?

I do like to argue, yes.

Its just I dont remember all the details but the one chemical used to preserve the food, is not even used in animal food due to it being considered toxic. Again I don't think what I have to say is nonsense :/

Maybe you'd like to find out what chemical that is and tell me where it appears in a McDonald's burger (or salad or whatever).
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Like to argue huh?

I do like to argue, yes.

I've seen numerous scientific studies and I have yet to see anything that indicates eating a combination of cheap, low quality, heavily processed foods in drowned in preservatives with artificial fillers is healthy. But I guess it depends on how you define the term healthy. And call me old fashioned, but that falls more or less under a common sense sort of thing.

Anyway, I'm not some sort of "clean eating" nazi. But I think there's a certain degree of basic logic and common sense that goes into saying that there is more to the "quality" of food than the numbers on the nutrition label. That the origin, the preparation and preservation process, and ingredients/additives used are equally as important in determining whether or not the food is of good quality and can be considered "healthy." This is a hotly debated subject on these boards, I know, but the fact is there isn't enough scientific support to go either way. There are studies that say one way, and there are studies that say the other. But in my eyes, anyway, one side of the argument is supported by a degree of basic logic and common sense that the other is not.

Yep! :)

This is pretty much my view also. Well said.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    News to me, that's awful! I personally won't miss them (considering I always get sick after eating only these salads for whatever reason), but I just hope this doesn't continue into their other salads disappearing. Their Southwest salad is my all time favorite!
    I can relate to your pain and utter amazement about this though. When Chick-fil-A discontinued their chicken salad (super low in calories) for their more complex salads (more calories) I was raging with anger lol :p
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    tried the chicken wings - spicy, crispy and surprisingly good.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is obviously being done in order to re-introduce the McSalad Shaker. All McDonald's salads will revert back to the shaker format throughout 2014.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    A simple google search if you are actually "interested" should yeild some results. I am not someone who really likes to do the endless circling disputes. Nor waste my time.

I looked at a list of ingredients in a McD's hamburger patty. There were only 3, and none of them were scary.

Then I looked at a list of the ingredients in a bun. All the same ingredients as the buns in my pantry.

Then I looked at a list of ingredients in their salads. None of those are scary either.

So... help me out.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Like to argue huh?

I do like to argue, yes.

Its just I dont remember all the details but the one chemical used to preserve the food, is not even used in animal food due to it being considered toxic. Again I don't think what I have to say is nonsense :/

Maybe you'd like to find out what chemical that is and tell me where it appears in a McDonald's burger (or salad or whatever).

A simple google search if you are actually "interested" should yeild some results. I am not someone who really likes to do the endless circling disputes. Nor waste my time.

You are the one who made the claim. It is your job to back it up or recant your statement.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Took literally two seconds, just I suspect it will be picked apart this is just one that they add to the orange and lime glaze on the lettuce to keep it looking oh so good...propylene glycol. It has not been passed for safe human consumption. Thats just a internet search ... what I have been saying is though I WORKED not at mcdonalds but at subway for quite a few years when I was younger, and myself and friends that I knew that worked at mcdonalds the same process is done to all the veggies. Some are soaked in water and we would add this crap to the water that would keep the colors vibrant and crisp. At the time I did look into it and it is not stuff you want to be ingesting, I do not recall all the many ingredients in these little packets...honeslt it doesn't matter, if you don't care to give the benifit of a doubt then not my problem. Go to the mcdonalds site and guess what they have this little sentence " We do not use preservatives of any kind in our salad vegetables." Ha total B.S

...know your enemy fella's

McDonald's food doesn't have propylene glycol. It uses propylene glycol alginate. This is a totally different molecule than propylene glycol. It's over 3 times as large.

Propylene glycol is to propylene glycol alginate as sodium is to sodium chloride.

If McDonald's put pure sodium into their food, it would be rather.... eventful. As in explosive.

See how a little bit of information can be dangerous when you don't know the rest of the story?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I did not say I knew what I found on the internet as firsthand what I do know is we would use preservatives when I was the one adding them to the Produce. You really should listen to someones entire conversation and not just pick and choose what you want to hear cause then you are the one not getting the full gist.

Your argument hinged on that one part. By refuting it, the rest becomes meaningless.