Divorce: is it worth it?

Options
HawtinPhoenix
HawtinPhoenix Posts: 43 Member
For those of you who have gone through a divorce, was the grass greener on the other side? Are you happier now or do you regret it? Discuss.

Replies

• Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Is it really about the grass being greener though? For me, personally, I think it's more about being happier as an individual, with a lighter spirit and a happier heart:flowerforyou:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I am so much happier now. I would be a totally miserable person if I was still married to my ex. He's a good guy, but we just ended up wanting completely different things out of life.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i think she meant "grass is greener" to mean "are you happier/better off"

I could be wrong. Maybe she was being literal and meant do you have greener grass in the new place in which you are living.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I can speak about my parents' divorce (just from my perspective, obviously :smile: )

When I was little, my parents fought all the time. They were both really unhappy and eventually decided to get divorced. There was a period after the divorce where they were both struggling to adjust, but after they adjusted, things were much better.

They became great friends. My dad used to come over to take care of my sister and me on weekends when my mom worked, and when she got home, we'd all have dinner together and watch a movie as a family. To this day, they get along really well and have few disagreements.

I can't say that it would be like that for everyone, but I think in the long run, it was a good move for my parents. They're both wonderful people, but just didn't work as a married couple.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    It wasn't my choice but I am so much happier now that it's over
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I do not regret my divorce one bit. It was one of the best decisions I made for myself. I was miserable and I didn't want my then 1 year old growing up thinking the relationship her parents had was normal. So I took her and left.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I can speak about my parents' divorce (just from my perspective, obviously :smile: )

When I was little, my parents fought all the time. They were both really unhappy and eventually decided to get divorced. There was a period after the divorce where they were both struggling to adjust, but after they adjusted, things were much better.

They became great friends. My dad used to come over to take care of my sister and me on weekends when my mom worked, and when she got home, we'd all have dinner together and watch a movie as a family. To this day, they get along really well and have few disagreements.

I can't say that it would be like that for everyone, but I think in the long run, it was a good move for my parents. They're both wonderful people, but just didn't work as a married couple.

This. If we had stayed together, I think we would have ended up hating each other and damaging our daughter. Now we are friends and even though she wishes we were together, my daughter gets to see her parents get along and still like each other.
  • HawtinPhoenix
    HawtinPhoenix Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i think she meant "grass is greener" to mean "are you happier/better off"

I could be wrong. Maybe she was being literal and meant do you have greener grass in the new place in which you are living.

This
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    The question is do you think you will be happier and better off if you get a divorce?

This is not a dress rehearsal. You're not going to get a second time around at life so do what is going to make you happy. I for one would not want to live out the rest of my days in a miserable situation.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Since I re-married my ex after a three-year split, while we were in our 20s, I would say put a lot of effort into restoring the relationship unless abuse or toxic deceit is involved. I left because I was angry and gave up on the relationship. I looked for someone with his similar qualities and kissed a few frogs in the process. After taking it slow and going to counseling during reconciliation, we're still married and great friends. I guess I would say if you are both good people with good intentions -- find the positives and try to keep it together. Regardless of your decision -- get counseling. It's worth your time, sanity and money. Good luck to you.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Life is so much better! I'm much happier, and have been able to get back to being myself again!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    It depends?

In my situation, ABSOLUTELY Y E S!!!

Since I have no idea what is going on in your marriage, I can't speak to whether or not it's the right answer for you...
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I couldn't let me kids grow up thinking that is how a man should treat a women. My ex is a good father and although we struggle sometimes we are both good parents but I will not let someone continuously cheat on me. It wasn't healthy for anyone.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I paid for the entire thing and for me and my son, yes it was completely worth it. My ex was an abusive alcoholic and I wasn't going to put my son through it. He grew up not knowing his father, since I terminated his rights when I sued for the divorce. I also think that was worth it. My son is a very well rounded intelligent young man and he had my dad to be a male role model growing up.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    She did me a favor and initiated it, but I am a BILLION times happier now.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes. My first marriage lasted 9 months; my husband's first marriage lasted about 2 months. We've been married now over 23 years and still very much in love. I hated hurting my first husband by leaving, but I should have had the guts to cancel the wedding. He got over it and remarried too.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    She did me a favor and initiated it, but I am a BILLION times happier now.

duo7o.jpg