Marriage: Is it worth it?

Options
BusyRaeNOTBusty
BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
Tell me some good things about being married! There seems to be so much bitterness. Or maybe there's a larger concentration of divorced people on MFP. Married people are fat and happy :wink:.

My husband and I will have been together 12 years in January, married 9.5 years. We have 3 kids. We've had some hard times, periods with lots of fighting over stupid stuff. Having babies is hard on a marriage especially when no one is sleeping. But we've really come to a good place. He supported me (financially and emotionally) through four rough years of grad school. He takes care of the kids when I travel for work. I support him in his endurance mountain bike racing hobby, long training hours, lots of travel for races. The sex is great. The romance and affection are awesome. The kids are at a good stable, less stressful place. We do fun things together as a family, and as a couple. He's a good friend, a good "roommate", a good co-parent, an excellent lover, etc. I don't know. I just really like being married right now.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im not seeing the worth financially and insurance wise marriage would not be a good thing for us
  • AmandaJCole13
    Options
    I've been with my husband for almost 3 years, married for almost 2. We have a nine month old daughter, and unlike a lot of couples, having a baby has solidified our union even more. He's the perfect lover, co-parent, and best friend. We of course have times filled with pointless bickering, but we've come out of it with better communication skills and an appreciation for who we married, regardless of the little annoyances. We will beat the odds. So worth it.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have been married to a wonderfull woman for seven years. She has helped me become a better person. Together we have two kids that make life worth living. I've been singal and I've been married; married is better.

People against marriage have not experance a great marriage, so they think they all suck. Its too bad.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    d99
    I was waiting for this thread to show up. Let's see how popular it gets...
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is really the best way to raise a family. Kinda like with growing a company - it is good to have internal controls in a family...someone gets sick, there is someone else to take up the slack, someone gets hurt, grouchy, tired, the list goes on and on. I can be more of me because of my husband - the weight of raising for kids doesn't fall on me alone. I think if you are going to have a family, marriage is fantastic.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Definitely, otherwise we wouldn't have desperate housewives and sleazy bosses that we can blackmail!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Not when you are the only one who wants to be. So twenty years of my life down the ****ter.
  • zazure
    zazure Posts: 18
    Options
    Marriage:
    ~always having someone to share your joys/or sorrows with.
    ~never having to sleep alone
    ~someone who loves to make you smile.
    ~someone to warm you when you're freezing!
    ~someone you'd do anything for- and do anything for you
    ~someone who knows you as well as you know yourself.

marriage with the right person is a wonderful thing.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE WHO THOUGHT I STARTED THIS THREAD OWES ME $5
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I Love the concept of marriage, I love my husband, But Lord, I shoulda listened to my mom when she said give it time! lol

Always listen to the advice of a woman who's had 6 kids and married for 43 years until my father passed (he was young)
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My parents have been married for some 29 plus years. ( I don't know the true time here. Seems more 39 years) I can't say that they never fight. Oh they do fight and when they fight there is no calm in the house hold. To make it worse mom and dad have a habit of getting me involved at times.

However I see the love that they have for each other. I seen my father brake down in tears when mom got sick and nearly die.

I see the struggles that they go through with me and my brother (another story for another thread) only to realize that they hold each other up through the good and hard times.

Trust me, as a sixteen year old watching mom nearly die in the hospital and dad doing everything to make sure she would come back out..

That's love. Yes marriage is worth it.

However, I have yet found my shining knight in armor..

then again, if I go by Games of Thrones there are no shining knights.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've been married almost 7 years, but with my husband for almost 10. We're 25/26. I think the best thing is knowing that there's someone we can count on and trust. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be there for me when I need him and I'll be there for him. He's seen me at my absolute worst and held my hand through sheer hell. He's an amazing father and my best friend. There is no one in this universe that I have chosen to make a deeper connection to than him. That's love though, not marriage. Marriage benefits are insurance and taxes lol.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're in it for.
    tumblr_mw9yhe3KTX1sj3oxho1_500.jpg
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its not worth it
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    18 years in, going stronger than ever.

I'm a big goof, but I take my marriage and my commitment to my wife very seriously, as flawed as I may be.
  • HawtinPhoenix
    HawtinPhoenix Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Tell me some good things about being married! There seems to be so much bitterness. Or maybe there's a larger concentration of divorced people on MFP. Married people are fat and happy :wink:.

:flowerforyou:

1. Married people are fat and happy is a bit of a generalization.
    2. I'm happy you're so happy
    3. Marriage is always worth it when you're with the right person. When you begin questioning if you're with the right person, that's when the question from the other thread becomes more relevant.

Sincerely,

Person who started Divorce Thread you're spinning off

Almost forgot ---->:flowerforyou:
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The Art Of Marriage

A good marriage must
    be created. In marriage, the
    little things are the big things.
    It's never being too old to hold
    hands. It is remembering to say
    I love you at the end of each day.
    It is never going to bed angry. It is
    speaking words of appreciation and
    demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful
    ways. It is having the capacity to forgive
    and forget. It is giving each other a safe
    pleace in which to grow. It is not only
    marrying the right person, it is being
    the right partner. - Wilferd A. Peterson.

Words I read every day :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for marriages then I would be an unemployed gal.
    So I am thankful to all the people who get married.
    :tongue: :tongue:

Curious? Is it easier to split a household with or without a marriage licence, or does that even have an effect on splitting assets especially if the two have been together for some years? I guess it would depend on the state, and if there is common law status?