Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• psvasudevan
    Options
    I've never used the forums (mostly I use just the app) until today, and man this place is crazy.

Anyhow, the simple answer is burn more than you consume to lose weight. The significantly more convoluted answer is: what is your goal? A ripped set of abs doesn't come from just dieting (well, it can, if you were blessed with them). Adding muscle mass has its own requirements and trying to get ripped while losing weight, while very much doable, generally required me eating clean.

Sample size of one, but I couldn't hit my macros and eat junk. There weren't enough calories to go around.

Macros:
    http://iifym.com/
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Ok with this IIFYM thing, can I not go over my protein and under my carbs and be unreasonably pleased with myself?

If not, should I just try eating in moderation, sticking within a calorie range and not doing anything that will possibly cause me to cry (read: clean eating)?

Serious question btw.

If the goal is weight loss, just try eating everything in moderation, as you say. Macros play a large part in changing body composition like muscle building. And there's really no such thing as too much protein. You can set your macro levels to whatever you want, but for weight loss, I would just stick to the calorie goal.

Yeah, it depends on your goals.

For instance I am in maintence (ish) and focusing on a body recomp, which is why my macros are important to me. Having said that, I am not perfect and I usually blow it at least once a week.

If you are interested in focusing on macros in addition to counting calories, try this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Also re: protein- that's one Macro EVERYONE should pay attention to, if they want to avoid losing Lean Body Mass.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    And there's really no such thing as too much protein.

Agreed, as long as it does not come at the expense of another required nutrient.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Not really I could go do some exercise and then eat it. With specific food restrictive diets you couldnt have it no matter how many calories you earned or had left over.

Great point...

Exercise doesn't give you back your macros. But, I understand the general feel of what you're saying.

True. It would give you additional macros/calories allowing you to use them how you please.
    Ok with this IIFYM thing, can I not go over my protein and under my carbs and be unreasonably pleased with myself?

If not, should I just try eating in moderation, sticking within a calorie range and not doing anything that will possibly cause me to cry (read: clean eating)?

Serious question btw.

Many people that follow IIFYM set a minimum protein and fat goal then the remainder of the calories can be anything they want as long as it supplies adequate nutrition. (Have to add that last part before someone comes back with some extreme example like nothing but donuts)

If they eat additional protein and fats it just means they have to scale back on carbs. This makes it very easy to follow and a lot less restrictive.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My diary will enhance the weight loss of many clean eaters - through vomiting. I really should be ashamed of myself and lock that thing up before it kills again, but I've lost a hell of a lot of weight.

I didn't know if anyone could actually escape out of KFC with a meal under 500 calories. Color me impressed
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    Not really I could go do some exercise and then eat it. With specific food restrictive diets you couldnt have it no matter how many calories you earned or had left over.

Great point...

Exercise doesn't give you back your macros. But, I understand the general feel of what you're saying.

True. It would give you additional macros/calories allowing you to use them how you please.

If you are using MFP and not calculating your own macros then yes. But if you are calculating your own macros based on your goals (which is more effective for me/in my opinion) then no, exercise does not give you anything extra. I calculate my TDEE and my macros and they are static.

I also used this to tweak my diary so that my macros do not changed based on intake: http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Well, spanks everyone. I learned something today. So, hitting my macros aids in body recomp? (I mean, I also weightlift and had only really known protein was a necessity and the rest were health-ish related).
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    One calorie is one calorie. It just depends on the "quality" of calories you want to put in. I will eat as 'clean' as I can, but if I need to stop at McDonald's while I'm out or not eat at all, I'll get a snack wrap for 250 calories and log it.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP and not calculating your own macros then yes. But if you are calculating your own macros based on your goals (which is more effective for me/in my opinion) then no, exercise does not give you anything extra. I calculate my TDEE and my macros and they are static.

I also used this to tweak my diary so that my macros do not changed based on intake: http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

True, unless you are using a fitbit or some other tracking device with a calorie adjustment.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP for what it is worth here is my experience.

I started on MFP and cut down calories eating smaller portions of my usual foods.

I eventually cut down on carbs and increased proteins and healthy fats.

I increased exercise (still need to do more with weights/resistance)

I have been maintaining for over a year and now try to eat clean most of the time.

However, life is for living, so I still have some treats...a glass of wine...a packet of crisps...a chocolate mousse..

My advice, take it slow and steady. Exercise is the most important thing.

You can lose lots of weight but if you don`t exercise you will just become the same shape but a smaller version.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Your TDEE would be changed with "additional" exercise. I understand the ease of setting static numbers for logging purposes but they are still based on the info you input. If you add additional exercise it would create a calorie expense that could be eaten back or increase deficit.

Im not a huge fan of exercising to eat but I have been known to put in some extra work to fit in a pizza night.
  • kyleekay10
    Options

Your TDEE would be changed with "additional" exercise. I understand the ease of setting static numbers for logging purposes but they are still based on the info you input. If you add additional exercise it would create a calorie expense that could be eaten back or increase deficit.

Im not a huge fan of exercising to eat but I have been known to put in some extra work to fit in a pizza night.

TDEE is calculated with your exercise included. So unless you plan to up your exercise significantly (ie; instead of going to the gym 3x per week normally, you decide to start going 4x per week) it does not change.

TDEE is a completely different calculation than what MFP uses. MFP uses the NEAT method, which does not assume you are exercising when you calculate your goals.

ETA: When using TDEE you have the same calorie goal every day, regardless of if it's an exercise day or not.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

Any diet that has boundaries of any kind is going to involve deprivation.

Well, this blew up while I did some work!

Yes, any calorie restricted diet is going to possibly restrict your eating in some way. You are on calorie restriction, so of course you cannot eat all of the foodz all of the timez. That's what got many of us into this mess!

By "no deprivation" what I meant was not depriving yourself of anything in specific. You might not fit it in one day, but you can eat it the next. Or plan for it. I had thought that was obvious, but oh well. Maybe I should have said "a *kitten*-load less deprivation" instead.

Most people will have better adherence to a diet if they are not severely restricting the specific food they can eat. The artificial labeling of foods as clean or dirty imposes severe restrictions that can impede compliance and make it more complicated than it needs to be. Psychologically, most people will do best if they can have a treat and not feel guilt. Although, I'm sure, some people relish restrictions as it makes them part of the "group". Do whichever better fits your personality.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <
    Lost almost 30 pounds post partum, eating pizza, wings, Ice cream and chicken alfredo. I just ate a calorie deficit.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat 100% clean however just creating a calorie deficit will not help your goal. The timing of when you eat bad food can be helpful to your cause. Look into carb backloading. It is a fun way to lose get lean and eat what you want

135327537354.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. By all standards and definitions, my diet is FILTHY. My progress is slow, but that's because I eat a bunch and don't feel like starving. You can pretty much eat whatever the hell you want to and lose weight provided that it is at a deficit.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

TDEE is calculated with your exercise included. So unless you plan to up your exercise significantly (ie; instead of going to the gym 3x per week normally, you decide to start going 4x per week) it does not change.

TDEE is a completely different calculation than what MFP uses. MFP uses the NEAT method, which does not assume you are exercising when you calculate your goals.

ETA: When using TDEE you have the same calorie goal every day, regardless of if it's an exercise day or not.

I understand. My original statement was that I could go exercise and then eat the food if I really wanted it so there would be no need to restrict that food. So yes it would have been in addition to my normal workouts providing additional calories to eat.
  • kyleekay10
    Options

I understand. My original statement was that I could go exercise and then eat the food if I really wanted it so there would be no need to restrict that food. So yes it would have been in addition to my normal workouts providing additional calories to eat.

I think we just had the most civil debate ever in MFP history.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who answered, very helpful and much appreciated!

One more stupid question and then I won't bother anyone else about this - IIFYM practitioners generally stick within a particular calorie goal, right? You would have to, wouldn't you? Otherwise you could have 7K calories of food that fit perfectly within your macros, but you'd be eating way over what you burn.

I only ask because at the beginning of the thread I got the impression from some of the responses that calorie counting wasn't necessary for IIFYM, but I gave it some more thought and figured that it couldn't be so. Or maybe my conclusion is wrong...

ETA: Wait! No don't answer!!!! I'm thinking about the pie chart on the app! Not the macros. I take it back I'm sorry forget I said anything I'm bad at math!!!!
  • kyleekay10
    Options

One more stupid question and then I won't bother anyone else about this - IIFYM practitioners generally stick within a particular calorie goal, right? You would have to, wouldn't you? Otherwise you could have 7K calories of food that fit perfectly within your macros, but you'd be eating way over what you burn.

I only ask because at the beginning of the thread I got the impression from some of the responses that calorie counting wasn't necessary for IIFYM, but I gave it some more thought and figured that it couldn't be so. Or maybe my conclusion is wrong...

ETA: Wait! No don't answer!!!! I'm thinking about the pie chart on the app! Not the macros. I take it back I'm sorry forget I said anything I'm bad at math!!!!

I already started typing before you edited, so meh, you're getting an answer anyway. :flowerforyou: Besides- the calculations for macros are automatic once you enter your food (and they translate to your pie chart).

Macros dictate how many calories you're eating, since macros have a certain amount of calories per gram.

Calorie counting is absolutely still necessary for IIFYM.

If you ever want to see what your Cal/Macro goal should look like, go here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

People who are practicing IIFYM/flexible dieting are doing the following things, generally:

1) Tracking calories and macronutrients and attempting to hit those targets. Those targets will vary depending on goals, preferences, individual needs, etc.
    2) Eating a diet consisting of mostly nutrient dense foods.
    3) Usually allowing a small portion of discretionary calories such that, once nutrient needs are met (micro and macro), said discretionary intake can be filled with whatever the dieter prefers.

The reason you weren't sure, is because most people don't have the first clue about the above, and continually think that flexible dieting is something entirely different, such as eating junk food all day.