Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    ETA: And nutrients are not ALL that matters to the human body.

What else does the human body crave?
    From food that is...
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

Any diet that has boundaries of any kind is going to involve deprivation.

It's "If it fits your macros," not what some Atkins diet says or paleo diet says or whatever. Your macros are set by you. To me, that means it's a goal. Sure, I have a goal of 100 grams of protein. If I don't meet that because instead of eating salmon, I ate nachos, it's not a big deal. You can call it a slip if you want, but I think the appeal of IIFYM is generally that it is more relaxed. Your goals are set by you; your macros are set by you; whatever goes in your mouth is decided by you.

Giggity.

But, I agree with you.

I've had ice cream just about every night this week. I've also had fruit/veggies. They fit my macros.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    The way you make your body stronger, leaner, and thinner is by CONSTANTLY making it "panic". In other words, don't let it get comfortable. Always try heavier weights, higher intensity... try circuits instead of straight running. That is what I'm learning now... although I eat 90% clean... I've stopped losing because my workout has been pretty much the same for the last couple months. Instead of running a couple miles straight, I've started alternating running/walking: walk 1 lap (around the track at the Y), run 3 laps, walk 2 laps (slow enough so my breathing is completely normal again), etc. for 30min.

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

It's "If it fits your macros," not what some Atkins diet says or paleo diet says or whatever. Your macros are set by you. To me, that means it's a goal. Sure, I have a goal of 100 grams of protein. If I don't meet that because instead of eating salmon, I ate nachos, it's not a big deal. You can call it a slip if you want, but I think the appeal of IIFYM is generally that it is more relaxed. Your goals are set by you; your macros are set by you; whatever goes in your mouth is decided by you.

Unless you are suggesting that one simply adjust their macros every day to fit what they want to eat, then I don't see your point.

If my macros say I need more protein and I've used all my carbs, then I have to deprive myself of that Hershey bar I want or "slip up".
  • bcattoes
    Options
    ETA: And nutrients are not ALL that matters to the human body.

What else does the human body crave?
    From food that is...

What does crave have to do with it? If I eat poison would it not matter?
  • kyleekay10
    Options

Unless you are suggesting that one simply adjust their macros every day to fit what they want to eat, then I don't see your point.

If my macros say I need more protein and I've used all my carbs, then I have to deprive myself of that Hershey bar I want or "slip up".

Wrong. Hershey's bars have protein, last time I checked. So you can still eat it.
  • paleojoe
    Options

A more realistic way to track macros though IMO, is week to week and not day to day.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Wrong. Hershey's bars have protein, last time I checked. So you can still eat it.

Carb free Hershey bar. Where do I get that?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    A more realistic way to track macros though IMO, is week to week and not day to day.

Agree. Calories too, IMO
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The idea of you eating a Hershey bar is hilarious. Oh noes the sugar!!

You're attempting to use the language that reasonable people use against clean eaters ("depriving") against reasonable people.

It's not working. It makes no sense. You're talking about people "depriving" themselves of carbs because they've eaten too many carbs already. First of all it doesn't make sense, because you've already had carbs and if you run out before you can get to a food you want you planned poorly.

Second of all, you are literally talking about nutrients. Your entire thing this whole time on MFP has been that certain foods are inherently bad regardless of their nutrient content. Now you're trying to ignore that for a minute and make some specious argument against IIFYM based on depriving yourself of nutrients.

It's a total non-starter.

Nutrients matter. Not labels.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Are you kidding right now?
  • kyleekay10
    Options

I saw you just agreed that "week to week" is a better way to track. No one hits their macros perfectly 100% of the time. I'm willing to bet that you're under carbs at least once a week- so if you want that Hershey bar, eat it. It's going to even out over the course of the week and it will work towards your protein goal for that specific day.
  • paleojoe
    Options

Agree. Calories too, IMO

Yes...
  • bcattoes
    Options

Are you kidding right now?

I don't eat by IIFYM so I'm talking hypothetically to show how IIFYM can mean deprivation, so I suppose I am.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I saw you just agreed that "week to week" is a better way to track. No one hits their macros perfectly 100% of the time. I'm willing to bet that you're under carbs at least once a week- so if you want that Hershey bar, eat it. It's going to even out over the course of the week and it will work towards your protein goal for that specific day.

What if it happens every day?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't eat by IIFYM so I'm talking hypothetically to show how IIFYM can mean deprivation, so I suppose I am.

IIFYM doesn't mean "you don't deprive yourself of anything ever."

IIFYM means "if you are depriving yourself, it's for a valid reason like nutrient intake and not for a BS reason like that food is unclean."
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I also find it hard to believe that IIFYM, when done thoughtfully, is all about eating "junk food". I would argue that it is fairly difficult to hit your macros with the majority of calories coming from overly processed fast food. To my understanding, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, when one practices IIFYM the majority of the food is fairly nutrient dense. If there are any calories remaining once the pre-determined macros are hit, and you want to eat to maintenance, you can fill them up any way you like. The body got what it needed... so why not round out the day with something you enjoy. I read a quote the other day and it really rings true... pleasure is a nutrient.

Also, wether you think you are or not... if you are trying to do a body comp and not just lose weight... you are doing IIFYM.

You summed it up nicely. It is not about eating nothing but junk food or not caring about nutrients. There seems to be a huge number of people (most of them are "clean"eaters) that simply cant comprehend the idea though. For them it is all or nothing.

Many of the "clean" eaters believe that there is something unhealthy, dangerous or "dirty" about adding in anything that does fall into the "clean" food category. For them its TOXINS POISON DISEASE CANCER if you fit in a Happy Meal once in a while. They cant define what is in there that is dangerous. They just believe it.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    What if it happens every day?

Then there are other issues at play...
  • sassabella
    Options
    It's unrealistic to think that you can eat 100% clean. As long as MOST of the foods you eat are nutritious and fuels your body then thats good enough. You have to allow yourself to have a treat now and again (say that you make one day a week a week where you kind of have a bit of a cheat day) because if you don't then you'll be more likely to binge.

I recommend going and looking at "If it fits your macros" and calculate from there about the percentage you need for your body according to your weight and height etc etc. I have started in the past couple months to go by it and it has been really beneficial. Its a really good guide and honestly and it is more relaxed as they have been saying on this thread.

If you feel better restricting yourself then go for it though. It's your body and your goals so it's up to you how you want to get there. I do recommend at least giving IIFYM a go. If its not for you then move on, everyone is different and what works for one person might not work well for the next.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The idea of you eating a Hershey bar is hilarious. Oh noes the sugar!!

You're attempting to use the language that reasonable people use against clean eaters ("depriving") against reasonable people.

It's not working. It makes no sense. You're talking about people "depriving" themselves of carbs because they've eaten too many carbs already. First of all it doesn't make sense, because you've already had carbs and if you run out before you can get to a food you want you planned poorly.

Second of all, you are literally talking about nutrients. Your entire thing this whole time on MFP has been that certain foods are inherently bad regardless of their nutrient content. Now you're trying to ignore that for a minute and make some specious argument against IIFYM based on depriving yourself of nutrients.

It's a total non-starter.

Nutrients matter. Not labels.

"Inherently bad"? Yes, I suppose I do believe that partially hydrogenated oils and processed meats are inherently bad.