Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I didn't and still don't...MODERATION is the key.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes. Make sure all of your food comes in wrappers to preserve cleanliness.

not necessarily, because gastroenteritis usually results in quite significant weight loss.

OP: serious answer - no. Eat the nutrients your body needs, stay within your calorie goal. Eat whatever foods you like while accomplishing these two things.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

Any diet that has boundaries of any kind is going to involve deprivation.

It's "If it fits your macros," not what some Atkins diet says or paleo diet says or whatever. Your macros are set by you. To me, that means it's a goal. Sure, I have a goal of 100 grams of protein. If I don't meet that because instead of eating salmon, I ate nachos, it's not a big deal. You can call it a slip if you want, but I think the appeal of IIFYM is generally that it is more relaxed. Your goals are set by you; your macros are set by you; whatever goes in your mouth is decided by you.

Unless you are suggesting that one simply adjust their macros every day to fit what they want to eat, then I don't see your point.

If my macros say I need more protein and I've used all my carbs, then I have to deprive myself of that Hershey bar I want or "slip up".

Wrong. Hershey's bars have protein, last time I checked. So you can still eat it.

Carb free Hershey bar. Where do I get that?

I saw you just agreed that "week to week" is a better way to track. No one hits their macros perfectly 100% of the time. I'm willing to bet that you're under carbs at least once a week- so if you want that Hershey bar, eat it. It's going to even out over the course of the week and it will work towards your protein goal for that specific day.

What if it happens every day?

Then you call it a bad week and move on, like a normal human being. :huh:

99% of people who follow IIFYM know that planning is key. You plan so that you DON'T have to deprive yourself. The fact that you think IIFYM = deprivation is, quite frankly, ludicrous.

ETA: Also what Jonnythan said RE: deprivation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Then there are other issues at play...

Possibly. But but I would imagine a lot of people like to eat more carbs than they need. And they probably feel deprived without them. We can argue silly examples all day (or actually only for 20 more min because then I'm meeting my husband for nachos and beer), but the fact is IIFYM has food boundaries. And boundaries is most likely going to mean not eating something you really want, sooner or later.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

This. And your macros are goals! Set by you! Like JonnyThan and others have said, if you keep going over in one area, then you've just done poor planning, and maybe you need to readjust your macros to something more realistic. It's the same concept as counting calories.

Oh, and the special dark chocolate Hershey candies have protein. Yum. I'd eat it with a glass of 2% milk for extra protein.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    IIFYM has food boundaries. And boundaries is most likely going to mean not eating something you really like, sooner or later.

Wrong. No food is off limits.

IIFYM has NUTRIENT boundaries. Not food boundaries.

Yes, it means you will sooner or later not be able to have something you want to eat.

But it also means that you can whatever that was tomorrow, or you can plan ahead and have it today.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Possibly. But but I would imagine a lot of people like to eat more carbs than they need. And they probably feel deprived without them. We can argue silly examples all day (or actually only for 20 more min because then I'm meeting my husband for nachos and beer), but the fact is IIFYM has food boundaries. And boundaries is most likely going to mean not eating something you really like, sooner or later.

IIFYM does NOT have food boundaries.

Just. I can't even. GAH.

IIFYM has PLANNING boundaries. I've not once felt deprived doing IIFYM because I have at least half a brain and I know how to think ahead.

Also, you keep talking about carbs. What's funny is that is the hardest macro for me to hit, because it's so dang high. I'm shooting for 277 carbs/day. I am a 5'5", ~123lb, 23 year old for the record (before you start saying I can eat that many carbs because of a high weight and/or because I'm tall or something).

Clean eating has food boundaries- period. Vegetarianism, veganism, paleo... those have food boundaries. Not IIFYM.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Possibly. But but I would imagine a lot of people like to eat more carbs than they need. And they probably feel deprived without them. We can argue silly examples all day (or actually only for 20 more min because then I'm meeting my husband for nachos and beer), but the fact is IIFYM has food boundaries. And boundaries is most likely going to mean not eating something you really like, sooner or later.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's all I can do at this point.
    I've never met anyone on IIFYM complain about restrictions, having headaches from carb deprivation, wondering what to eat because they can't eat [insert name of "bad" food here].
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

Any diet that has boundaries of any kind is going to involve deprivation.

It's "If it fits your macros," not what some Atkins diet says or paleo diet says or whatever. Your macros are set by you. To me, that means it's a goal. Sure, I have a goal of 100 grams of protein. If I don't meet that because instead of eating salmon, I ate nachos, it's not a big deal. You can call it a slip if you want, but I think the appeal of IIFYM is generally that it is more relaxed. Your goals are set by you; your macros are set by you; whatever goes in your mouth is decided by you.

Unless you are suggesting that one simply adjust their macros every day to fit what they want to eat, then I don't see your point.

If my macros say I need more protein and I've used all my carbs, then I have to deprive myself of that Hershey bar I want or "slip up".

The idea of you eating a Hershey bar is hilarious. Oh noes the sugar!!

You're attempting to use the language that reasonable people use against clean eaters ("depriving") against reasonable people.

It's not working. It makes no sense. You're talking about people "depriving" themselves of carbs because they've eaten too many carbs already. First of all it doesn't make sense, because you've already had carbs and if you run out before you can get to a food you want you planned poorly.

Second of all, you are literally talking about nutrients. Your entire thing this whole time on MFP has been that certain foods are inherently bad regardless of their nutrient content. Now you're trying to ignore that for a minute and make some specious argument against IIFYM based on depriving yourself of nutrients.

It's a total non-starter.

Nutrients matter. Not labels.

"Inherently bad"? Yes, I suppose I do believe that partially hydrogenated oils and processed meats are inherently bad.

Explain why.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Yes, it [IIFYM] means you will sooner or later not be able to have something you want to eat.

My point.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    ***wall of text removed***

"Inherently bad"? Yes, I suppose I do believe that partially hydrogenated oils and processed meats are inherently bad.

Explain why.

Both have been shown to markedly increase risk of disease.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes, it [IIFYM] means you will sooner or later not be able to have something you want to eat.

My point.

It's a pretty dumb point to spend so much time on, because no one ever said you'll be able to eat as much of whatever you want on IIFYM.

The things that are off-limits on IIFYM are excess nutrients. There are no foods that are off-limits.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    IIFYM has food boundaries. And boundaries is most likely going to mean not eating something you really like, sooner or later.
    :cry:

Wrong. No food is off limits.

IIFYM has NUTRIENT boundaries. Not food boundaries.

Yes, it means you will sooner or later not be able to have something you want to eat.

But it also means that you can whatever that was tomorrow, or you can plan ahead and have it today.

No way -- I thought IIFYM was eating whatever the heck you wanted! No idea you actually had to plan.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

The name If It Fits Your Macros is pretty clear that is does not mean eat whatever the hell you want, as much as you want. You can eat any food as long as it fits your macros. One more time: as long as it fits your macros. Im not even sure what you are arguing here. If you ate too much of one thing and it left you deficient on something else.....IT DID NOT FIT YOUR MACROS.
  • bcattoes
    Options

My point.

It's a pretty dumb point to spend so much time on, because no one ever said you'll be able to eat as much of whatever you want on IIFYM.

The things that are off-limits on IIFYM are excess nutrients. There are no foods that are off-limits.

I agree it's a dumb point to keep arguing. I really don't see why everyone kept saying it wasn't true.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The name If It Fits Your Macros is pretty clear that is does not mean eat whatever the hell you want, as much as you want. You can eat any food as long as it fits your macros. One more time: as long as it fits your macros. Im not even sure what you are arguing here. If you ate too much of one thing and it left you deficient on something else.....IT DID NOT FIT YOUR MACROS.

Got it. That wasn't what my post was about.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I am sorry, what was it about then?
  • bcattoes
    Options

I am sorry, what was it about then?

That IIFYM can mean you must deprive yourself of foods you want, just like any other diet, just in a different manner.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

My point.

and to that point, if partially hydrogenated oils are nutrients you DON'T want in your diet, then don't include them.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Massive fail trying to redefine IIFYM in terms that equate it to clean eating.