Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Soo... If I am to believe everybody in this thread, I should be able to eat 1500 calories of butter every day and still fit into my sexy pants. Why has nobody told me this sooner?!?! Thank you folks of MFP for this genius insight!!!

Always someone that cant grasp the concept of moderation and has to take it to the extreme limits to disprove it. Yes you could still lose weight eating nothing but butter but obviously that would be ridiculous.

No, I actually CAN grasp moderation and it's what I've practiced to get to where I am now. My problem with this thread is those that are saying calorie deficit is all that matters. If your goal is to lose weight, yeah, calorie deficit is all that matters. If your goal is to be healthy, then clean eating is better than junk food every day.

With a straight face, can you tell me that 1,800 calories of junk food is going to have the same effect on your body as 1,800 calories of clean (even mostly clean) food?

And to be quite honest, you guys can do whatever you want to do. I don't care.

No one said x amount of junk has the same effect of x amount of whatever else outside of pure weight loss. No one told you to eat all your calories in junk (in fact the general response seems to be 'nuu, don't do that.')

All junk isn't moderation anymore than 100% clean food is.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Nope you do not have to eat 100% clean. I'd say that i've had a pretty average diet the last couple months with bits of cheat days here and there and i've lost 60lbs still. SO it's more quantity over quality. Although healthier foods make you feel better and don't make you crave more unhealthy foods.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, yeah, calorie deficit is all that matters.

Read the thread title.

Now read this line.

Read the thread title again.

We're done here!
    If your goal is to be healthy, then clean eating is better than junk food every day.

Oh and you were doing so well.

Yup, dopey post is dopey. As if the only 2 choices are "clean" eating, what ever that is, or all junk food every day.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It may not be the food that has you stalled. Try revamping your exercise routine. If your only form of exercise is running, then your body expects that and then doesn't have to work as hard anymore. Try adding some strength training to your routine. Or adding some HIIT to your running routine to switch things up a little.

Keeping your body out of an exercise routine will keep it guessing and always result in a great calorie burn!

^^^this was my thought as well. Also calorie counting isn't exact when you are just going by smal med lg size fry etc. and not weighing food.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It may not be the food that has you stalled. Try revamping your exercise routine. If your only form of exercise is running, then your body expects that and then doesn't have to work as hard anymore. Try adding some strength training to your routine. Or adding some HIIT to your running routine to switch things up a little.

Keeping your body out of an exercise routine will keep it guessing and always result in a great calorie burn!

^^^this was my thought as well. Also calorie counting isn't exact when you are just going by smal med lg size fry etc. and not weighing food.

Funny that you mention fries. The handful of times I've weighed fries, it's been almost dead on. But you are right.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Having a calorific deficit is a good place to start.

Unfortunately for people who are slaicylate sensitive they will also need take into consideration the amount of salicylate in the foods they are eating. Animal protein is generally free except for veined, coloured or flavoured chesses, some veg and fruit is low most are higher, herbs and spices can have most but are only used sparingly.............
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Soo... If I am to believe everybody in this thread, I should be able to eat 1500 calories of butter every day and still fit into my sexy pants. Why has nobody told me this sooner?!?! Thank you folks of MFP for this genius insight!!!

Always someone that cant grasp the concept of moderation and has to take it to the extreme limits to disprove it. Yes you could still lose weight eating nothing but butter but obviously that would be ridiculous.

No, I actually CAN grasp moderation and it's what I've practiced to get to where I am now. My problem with this thread is those that are saying calorie deficit is all that matters. If your goal is to lose weight, yeah, calorie deficit is all that matters. If your goal is to be healthy, then clean eating is better than junk food every day.

With a straight face, can you tell me that 1,800 calories of junk food is going to have the same effect on your body as 1,800 calories of clean (even mostly clean) food?

I might be able to if you could define "clean" and "junk" for me.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You do not.

but it's healthier over all if you do

and sometimes foods affect you differently then it affects most people. So always pay attention to your body and adjust accordingly.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Funny that you mention fries. The handful of times I've weighed fries, it's been almost dead on. But you are right.

The big chains measure their portions pretty well. They've got their expenses calculated down to a nat's as_ and you have to be consistent to do that.
    5-Guys, on the other hand, likes to overfill to the point that you've basically got a second serving in the brown bag. I should weigh theirs once, for the heck of it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

waiting_gif_zps5d726a83.jpg
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

waiting_gif_zps5d726a83.jpg

That's exactly what I was going to say. I hate the argument of 'clean' vs. 'junk' because everyone has their own ideas of what those are irregardless of how or who originally designed them. And frankly, I don't want to eat 100% clean by any definition. What would be the fun in that??? Like everyone else has said, it's all about moderation and going to either extreme seems to backfire like Chris Farley after a can of refried beans.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    No. See ticker below.
    I dont get it, all I see is a turkey
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

bearpicnic.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Has anyone linked to the Twinkie diet yet?

This feels like a good thread for such a link.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I find it amusing that those that claim not to think food is junk or know what 'junk food' is, are often those that immediately start defending fast food, baked goods and sweets when someone mentions junk food.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I find it amusing that those that claim not to think food is junk or know what 'junk food' is, are often those that immediately start defending fast food, baked goods and sweets when someone mentions junk food.

It's because the labels like "clean" or "junk" have no real meaning.

It's the labels we attack.

Nutrients matter. Labels do not.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I keep wondering if these arguments are simply a matter of viewpoint. If some are arguing in support of how they eat 80% of the time while others are arguing defending what they eat 20% of the time and if in reality, most folks eat pretty similarly, big picture.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I keep wondering if these arguments are simply a matter of viewpoint. If some are arguing in support of how they eat 80% of the time while others are arguing defending what they eat 20% of the time and if in reality, most folks eat pretty similarly, big picture.

It doesn't matter how you eat 80% of the time or 20% of the time.

What matters is what it all adds up to at the end of the day.

Count up the nutrients you've taken in at the end of the day, and if they add up to the right stuff then you're good. If they don't add up to the right stuff you're not good.

It doesn't matter if you eat 80% clean or 80% "junk" or 80% whatever if your overall total nutrient intake is inappropriate.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Pretty much.

Some people use "clean" as shorthand for stuff without so many calories that I can enjoy it and make it fit in to my numbers. Others have made it a religion.