Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficits work for weight loss, but if you really want to tone then eating clean is mandatory. However you don't have to eat clean 100% of time, it will just take longer to tone if you don't eat clean all the time.

:laugh:

What's the reasoning here, anyway? "You'll get diseases" at least makes some sense. What is it about eating clean that would make fat loss faster?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The-21-Most-Awkward-Family-Photos08.jpg?w=300&h=200
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Soo... If I am to believe everybody in this thread, I should be able to eat 1500 calories of butter every day and still fit into my sexy pants. Why has nobody told me this sooner?!?! Thank you folks of MFP for this genius insight!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Wait. *considers last nights pizza. And the auntie Anne's pretzels. And all the ice cream and cupcakes and muffins* *considers ticker*

No.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Soo... If I am to believe everybody in this thread, I should be able to eat 1500 calories of butter every day and still fit into my sexy pants. Why has nobody told me this sooner?!?! Thank you folks of MFP for this genius insight!!!

No one said anything of the kind.

Reading comprehension=Fail
    Smartassery level=Lame
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's what we're saying. Butter. All day, everyday. Enjoy. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well you'll lose weight if youb urn more than 1500 a day, sure.

However, you will suffer a number of nutrient deficiencies, your energy levels will probably go way down, and you'll suffer the downsides of protein deficiency such as lean mass loss.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Because real life choices consist of 100% clean eating or 1,500 calories of butter!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

However, you will suffer a number of nutrient deficiencies, your energy levels will probably go way down, and you'll suffer the downsides of protein deficiency such as lean mass loss.

Not to mention you will double your chances of starting a grease fire on your skin
  • zmoreno10
    Options
    I'll roll my butter in protein powder and throw some multivitamins in there. I'll be good, y'all worry about yourselves.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Always someone that cant grasp the concept of moderation and has to take it to the extreme limits to disprove it. Yes you could still lose weight eating nothing but butter but obviously that would be ridiculous.
  • zmoreno10
    Options

Not to mention you will double your chances of starting a grease fire on your skin

Human torch, son!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Always someone that cant grasp the concept of moderation and has to take it to the extreme limits to disprove it. Yes you could still lose weight eating nothing but butter but obviously that would be ridiculous.

And gross.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yes. In fact, you can only eat chicken (white meat only!), fish meal, and cabbage soup. But you must be vegan. It's a difficult balance, but I know you can do it!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes. In fact, you can only eat chicken breast and spinach. But you must be vegan. It's a difficult balance, but I know you can do it!

Don't tell anyone, but the secret is Cauliflower chicken substitute. Shhhhhhh
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm in the no camp, eating at a calorie deficit should do it. I give props to those who can do it but I think that for most of us it's hard to eat 100% clean all the time and it tends to defeat the purpose in the end. Every time I went that way I ended up gaining everything back and more because when I'd finally relent I'd overindulge in everything I had deprived myself of. This time out I decided I was just going to cut back on the goodies and start exercising. The exercise is important for me because 1200 doesn't cut it for me... LOL I need those extra calories so I can eat! I've been losing the weight slowly but pretty steadily. The only time I really gained back this year was during the six weeks I didn't run this summer because the heat was unbearable. Once I started running again I lost it pretty quickly. I still eat all my favorites although I do try avoiding going back for seconds and do my best to eat them in moderation. I agree with those who mentioned you're probably at a standstill because your body has become accustomed and you need to switch things up. Try changing up your exercise routine or even eating over your calories for a day or two... for some reason this has worked for me before. I even had a week where I was in the red over 3,000 and still managed to lose weight. The trick is to not do it too often ;)
  • zmoreno10
    Options

No, I actually CAN grasp moderation and it's what I've practiced to get to where I am now. My problem with this thread is those that are saying calorie deficit is all that matters. If your goal is to lose weight, yeah, calorie deficit is all that matters. If your goal is to be healthy, then clean eating is better than junk food every day.

With a straight face, can you tell me that 1,800 calories of junk food is going to have the same effect on your body as 1,800 calories of clean (even mostly clean) food?

And to be quite honest, you guys can do whatever you want to do. I don't care.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, yeah, calorie deficit is all that matters.

Read the thread title.

Now read this line.

Read the thread title again.

We're done here!
    If your goal is to be healthy, then clean eating is better than junk food every day.

Oh and you were doing so well.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    my ice cream and pizza last night were clean....

I did not drop them on the floor once :bigsmile: