Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've been using mfp again for the past month and while I lost a solid 8lbs with running, eating back exercise calories, and setting a goal of 1500 cals I have stalled for the past week. However, my diet isn't the healthiest with fries and hamburgers at times because of work. I always pick the correct calorie amount for the junk food but I an wondering if that is what is keeping me from losing weight. I thought it was all about maintaining a deficit but am I wrong?

As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight... "clean" or "dirty".

As you lose weight your caloric needs change. It could be that 1500 calories might not be enough for you anymore. As you get leaner it's a good idea to reduce your deficit... since there are less fat stores for your body to make up the balance of your TDEE.

Also, is running all you do? Maybe change up your workout and add some resistance training.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I keep wondering if these arguments are simply a matter of viewpoint. If some are arguing in support of how they eat 80% of the time while others are arguing defending what they eat 20% of the time and if in reality, most folks eat pretty similarly, big picture.

It doesn't matter how you eat 80% of the time or 20% of the time.

What matters is what it all adds up to at the end of the day.

Count up the nutrients you've taken in at the end of the day, and if they add up to the right stuff then you're good. If they don't add up to the right stuff you're not good.

It doesn't matter if you eat 80% clean or 80% "junk" or 80% whatever if your overall total nutrient intake is inappropriate.
    I think you rather missed my point, but whatever.

I'm quite certain I did not.

You and others are so intensely focused on food labels that you miss the overall picture and fail to understand what actually matters.
    Nope. But again, whatever.

This might be the worst comeback argument I have ever seen on MFP.
    It wasn't meant to be a "comeback".

Then what explain to me what it was supposed to be? Because it appears to be a response that says "No" .
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't like the label "clean" is because it causes threads like this. Someone hears from some TV show or website how eating clean is the only way to go, and so they want to try it out. Then they demonize certain foods or food groups; then they slip up and eat them; then they say screw it and give up. Not always, but it happens.

That's why I prefer the IIFYM approach: flexible eating, within your calorie goal, hitting macro and micro nutrient targets, eating food you enjoy in a sustainable way. No deprivation, no guilt. With moderation and consistency, you will get results.

Please stop, your logic and reason are out of place.
  • paleojoe
    Options

I also find it hard to believe that IIFYM, when done thoughtfully, is all about eating "junk food". I would argue that it is fairly difficult to hit your macros with the majority of calories coming from overly processed fast food. To my understanding, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, when one practices IIFYM the majority of the food is fairly nutrient dense. If there are any calories remaining once the pre-determined macros are hit, and you want to eat to maintenance, you can fill them up any way you like. The body got what it needed... so why not round out the day with something you enjoy. I read a quote the other day and it really rings true... pleasure is a nutrient.

Also, wether you think you are or not... if you are trying to do a body comp and not just lose weight... you are doing IIFYM.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

Any diet that has boundaries of any kind is going to involve deprivation.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I also find it hard to believe that IIFYM, when done thoughtfully, is all about eating "junk food". I would argue that it is fairly difficult to hit your macros with the majority of calories coming from overly processed fast food. To my understanding, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, when one practices IIFYM the majority of the food is fairly nutrient dense. If there are any calories remaining once the pre-determined macros are hit, and you want to eat to maintenance, you can fill them up any way you like. The body got what it needed... so why not round out the day with something you enjoy. I read a quote the other day and it really rings true... pleasure is a nutrient.

Also, wether you think you are or not... if you are trying to do a body comp and not just lose weight... you are doing IIFYM.

Meh. Look at Jonnythan's diary, if it's open. He does a pretty bang up job IMO.

ETA: This is re: the statement "I would argue that it is fairly difficult to hit your macros with the majority of calories coming from overly processed fast food."
  • paleojoe
    Options

I have looked at Johhythan's diary, not every single day of it but that said what I saw was not all filled up with fast food... Take a look at mine. I pretty much eat whatever I want... and whatever I want changes from time to time.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I eat dirt all the time and I'm still losing.
  • kyleekay10
    Options

I have looked at Johhythan's diary, not every single day of it but that said what I saw was not all filled up with fast food... Take a look at mine. I pretty much eat whatever I want... and whatever I want changes from time to time.

It is a lot of fast food, though. That's why I friended him. It's a freaking piece of art.

For the record, I follow IIFYM. Not sure if you thought I was against it or something.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    I eat dirt all the time and I'm still losing.

Your poor taste buds. Dirt all the time must be terrible!

:laugh:
  • paleojoe
    Options

It is a lot of fast food, though. That's why I friended him. It's a freaking piece of art.

For the record, I follow IIFYM. Not sure if you thought I was against it or something.

No not at all... I follow it too. You should look at my diary sometime... specifically weekends. I have created some masterpieces of my own ;)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You can eat 100% clean and gain lots of weight.

(yeah I'm responding without reading the previous five pages again)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

IIFYM can mean deprivation just the same as other diets. If you want more carbs than your macro limit allows, you will have to deprive yourself of what you want or "slip up". If don't want as much protein as your macro says you must have, you may have to"slip up" or deprive yourself of a food you really want in favor of something with protein. If you want to eat a Happy Meal and have exactly enough calories for it, but it doesn't provide the micronutrients you need, you either slip up, or deprive yourself of the Happy Meal.

You get sick of having to eat protein when you want carbs, and say "screw it, I give up". Not always, but it happens.

The difference here is that IIFYM focuses on NUTRIENTS, which matter. It does not focus on LABELS like "clean" which don't matter.

You can eat whatever "label" of food you want as long as you get the proper NUTRIENTS.

Nutrients matter; hence, counting nutrients is valid.

Labels do not matter; hence, counting labels is invalid.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The difference here is that IIFYM focuses on NUTRIENTS, which matter. It does not focus on LABELS like "clean" which don't matter.

You can eat whatever "label" of food you want as long as you get the proper NUTRIENTS.

Again, pretty off point, which was deprivation. IIFYM is not immune to it anymore than 'clean eating' is. I don't want to burst any bubbles, but you really don't get to choose what matters for everyone.

ETA: And nutrients are not ALL that matters to the human body.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I like that summarization - good job!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Again, pretty off point, which was deprivation. IIFYM is not immune to it anymore than 'clean eating' is. I don't want to burst any bubbles, but you really don't get to choose what matters for everyone.

No, it's not off point. It's the whole point.

If you have to deprive yourself of NUTRIENTS because you want more than is appropriate, then, yes, you'll have to get over it.

If you have to deprive yourself of a particular food because of some bogus LABEL, then that's BS.

Nutrients. Not labels. Nutrients. Not labels.

Nutrients.

Not labels.

Nutrients matter.

Labels do not matter.

"Clean" vs "dirty" does not matter.

Nutrients matter.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    yes, but you will feel like crap and have a heart attack...but you'll be thin!
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, it's not off point. It's the whole point.

If you have to deprive yourself of NUTRIENTS because you want more than is appropriate, then, yes, you'll have to get over it.

If you have to deprive yourself of a particular food because of some bogus LABEL, then that's BS.

Nutrients. Not labels. Nutrients. Not labels.

Nutrients.

Not labels.

Nutrients matter.

Labels do not matter.

"Clean" vs "dirty" does not matter.

Nutrients matter.

EVERYTHING you put in your body matters. EVERYTHING, regardless of whether it contains nutrients or not.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

It's "If it fits your macros," not what some Atkins diet says or paleo diet says or whatever. Your macros are set by you. To me, that means it's a goal. Sure, I have a goal of 100 grams of protein. If I don't meet that because instead of eating salmon, I ate nachos, it's not a big deal. You can call it a slip if you want, but I think the appeal of IIFYM is generally that it is more relaxed. Your goals are set by you; your macros are set by you; whatever goes in your mouth is decided by you.