Would you keep using MFP if it wasn't free?

Options

Replies

• VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely would if they added some other features and if they explained why in detail. Also if it was a small one time charge for the app for example like a dollar or two, I would totally pay that.. if it were a subscription for that amount a month, I would even do that. Again, if they added features to it and made it worth it.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    nope
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Nope...
  • see449
    see449 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I assume ,if there was a fee, the monies would pay for upgrades to make it faster, better, like the 6 Million Dollar man......
    But I would still not be interested. Like other has said it is just a convince that saves me from tracking things myself. Which I can do. Or find another free online tracking site.
  • ani_fit
    ani_fit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MFP should stay free as there are other tools/apps that are free.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,986 Member
    Options
    wait. Did they already go through their $18 million? With no user-friendly improvements?

wah.

It would probably be for the best if they started charging. I'm cheap and it would make me stop.

<<~~~~~
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No. I'd probably just revert back to good ole pen and paper.

Me too! I lost the majority of my weight before MFP. I only discovered it because it kept popping up in my calorie searches.

I still keep a hand-written food journal of sorts and would have no problem going back to writing it all down.

I like having the journals to keep, as well!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    wait. Did they already go through their $18 million? With no user-friendly improvements?

I hope not. I'm very curious as to how they intend to use those funds. So far there seems to be little indication of often requested feature additions actually being worked on.
  • deedee303z
    Options
    Probably not. As much as I like MFP, I would not be able to justify the expense.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    One time fee? Monthly access? What are we talking about here?

If they had started charging when I was in the middle of losing 45 lbs, yeah probably. If for no other reason than because it's what I started with.
    If they were not free before I started, probably yes still. I'd pay a one-time fee of $5 for MFP. I might even pay a small yearly fee. Monthly fee, not a chance.
    Now that I've got a pretty good handle on what it takes to maintain....possibly, but I'd test drive a few of the other free ones to see how good their food databases were.
    I might just take the leap and *gasp* stop logging just to see how good I am at guesstimating.
  • phostose
    Options
    So far it looks like charging money would be the end of MFP! lol
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    No, there are too many free sites out there that would serve my purpose. Their food data base sucks, no recipe sharing, buggy releases-need to do a better QA prior to releasing, slow development. I know it is a hugely popular site but imagine how popular it would be if some improvements were made!!!

^this

I hope not. I'm very curious as to how they intend to use those funds. So far there seems to be little indication of often requested feature additions actually being worked on.

they added a blog adn a few synching apps. Nothing the community has asked for, like the USDA database info come up first in food lists, a like button for posts, recipe sharing for friends/family, etc. So i hope they havent gone thru the $18 million but like a teenager with their first paycheck, im afraid they have and what we have is what we get.

Sad because this could be an AWSOME site with a few tweaks
  • OneEyedWolf
    OneEyedWolf Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no, most likely not. While I enjoy the convenience of this site, I would be hard pressed to justify any expense (especially at this time of the year!) on a paid membership to use a site that as a programmer I could quite easily build a simple database within a couple hours to track what calories myself and my daughter eat and/or burn in exercise.

I would, however, miss the advice and inspirational stories that I can glean from the boards in my lurking.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    No, I would miss my friends, but No

There are other free sites and other ways I can record what I eat. Now I can ignore weird comments on the forum, but wouldn't pay to read it when some of them get on a roll.

Why are you asking?
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would pay for the app on my phone up to a reasonable amount, but it isn't worth a subscription fee. Especially since the users enter the majority of the food database and it isn't checked by anyone.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    Nope. I'll go pen and paper before I pay for it.