Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I find "non-clean" eaters to act superior a lot of the time compared to clean. I see a lot of clean eaters trying to get other to hop on board because, yeah, less chimicals and fats and sugars is obviously going to be better for you in the long run.

But I see a hell of a lot more people who feel personally attacked by the simple suggestion of "eating clean" or a vegan diet, and the idea that it is, shockingly, more healthy for you than the standard western diet of processed foods.

I'd had a lot of people get on my *kitten* about trying to eat cleaner, or eliminate certain foods from my diet. Never have I once had a vegan or clean-eater look down on me for chowing down on a double cheeseburger.

See this is what makes no sense to me....... the so called non-clean eaters as you refer to them (well me) do not demonize any food group so why in the heck would be give a crap if some one is eating clean which by definition No One can seem to give a definitive answer on..... we don't consider any food off limits so where is the argument coming from that we attack people eating any food... The problem we have is so called clean eaters telling the rest of us if we don't eat their way we are going to have a short life and die of a horrible disease which is a crock.........
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue. "Mostly clean" is a complete copout. People who subscribe to IIFYM would then mostly also be considered "clean eaters" based on that criteria. So then why is it that "clean eaters" are the ones who act superior, and insist that if you follow IIFYM you must just be eating Big Macs and Twinkies exclusively?

On one side you have people talking about what they eat most of the time, and on the other you have people talking about what they eat some of the time. And if you look at the diaries, it's not particularly clear there's a difference. It's a stupid argument both ways.

I'm not convinced this is always the case...or even mostly.

I'm pretty sure I fall outside that at least: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6
    Great diary. :heart: :drinker:

What are you talking about? He's probably in starvation mode already!
    As is, perhaps, but I am assuming the addition of at least one Twinkie and 4.034569 cups of ice cream later, which should hold starvation mode at bay for today at least. :tongue:

:laugh:

The real question is whether it's better to be in starvation mode than to ingest all those toxins.

Why don't you pour on some gas before lighting a match.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd had a lot of people get on my *kitten* about trying to eat cleaner, or eliminate certain foods from my diet. Never have I once had a vegan or clean-eater look down on me for chowing down on a double cheeseburger.

You've never had a vegan give you a guilt trip for extinguishing a unique being's life through a process of suffering and pain for the mere satisfaction of your appetite? Seriously? What planet are you from?
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I haven't got 6K posts and years on this board, but I will say a couple of things:

Flaunting a McDonalds habit and love of poptarts flies in the face of everything most newbie (and old) dieters, as well as others, have learned or in the process of learning about diet,health, and nutrition. And that is exactly why it is done. But it is a knee jerk - in your face response that provokes. I get why. I get I the " I lost a million pounds eating Mickey D's, candy bars, and drinking pepsi" and it worked for me. But just as valid are those of us who eating snickers makes us feel like crap. Who believe that eating whole foods is better for our health - because we feel better eating that way. And I don't think either perspective is wrong. And, in fact, I think most folks on this board, talk a big twinkie and poptart, but in reality, don't do much of them either. They choose not to. Not because they are "bad" but because they don't fit their "macros." Choices. And my guess is that 99% of us do not stick to anything 100% of the time.

Healthy? Happy? Losing weight? Or gaining muscle? Feel good? Then it is all good. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This nonsense still going on?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    this thread needs more bashing...

tumblr_lswr5i16gD1r1p7ujo1_400.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you can leave a twinky on a shelf for 10 years and still eat it... that isn't food, it's a chemical **** storm. Eating clean(er) has benefits to the body far beyond the waist line! Do your research mate and see the benefits!

Dafuq? How does a Twinkie last longer than a day or two, unless if you live alone. We have four in our house, so no, they don't even make it to their expiration date.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't got 6K posts and years on this board, but I will say a couple of things:

Flaunting a McDonalds habit and love of poptarts flies in the face of everything most newbie (and old) dieters, as well as others, have learned or in the process of learning about diet,health, and nutrition. And that is exactly why it is done. But it is a knee jerk - in your face response that provokes. I get why. I get I the " I lost a million pounds eating Mickey D's, candy bars, and drinking pepsi" and it worked for me. But just as valid are those of us who eating snickers makes us feel like crap. Who believe that eating whole foods is better for our health - because we feel better eating that way. And I don't think either perspective is wrong. And, in fact, I think most folks on this board, talk a big twinkie and poptart, but in reality, don't do much of them either. They choose not to. Not because they are "bad" but because they don't fit their "macros." Choices. And my guess is that 99% of us do not stick to anything 100% of the time.

Healthy? Happy? Losing weight? Or gaining muscle? Feel good? Then it is all good. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
    Great post. I tried saying something similar, but you said it more eloquently. I have often wondered if some of us post with great fervor about what we eat about 20% of the time, while others post with gusto about what they eat 80% (or whatever percentage) of the time.
    I too find that building my diet around whole foods makes me feel better. I eat snacks and the occasional meal that aren't nutritious as well, but don't consider those snacks the basis of my diet.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    On one side you have people saying that what they eat some of the time is food that's automatically bad.

On the other side you have people saying that the food they eat {some,all} of the time is 100% fine.

So I can better understand, you believe there is no nutritional difference between the beef in a McDonalds Big Mac and a rib eye from a grass fed cow.

I know the quote does not exactly relate... I am not an all or nothing and neither is my statement.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So. What does everyone think about hunting?

Good way to get clean meat.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So. What does everyone think about hunting?

Good way to get clean meat.

Unless your a vegan... but then again I can't see a vegan ever going hunting ;)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Great post. I tried saying something similar, but you said it more eloquently. I have often wondered if some of us post with great fervor about what we eat about 20% of the time, while others post with gusto about what they eat 80% (or whatever percentage) of the time.
    I too find that building my diet around whole foods makes me feel better. I eat snacks and the occasional meal that aren't nutritious as well, but don't consider those snacks the basis of my diet.

The way I see it, none of this has anything to do with how often anyone eats anything.

This entire argument is about whether certain foods are automatically bad. You warn of dangerous health consequences for people who eat "unclean" food, and I think those crazy scare tactics are not only wrong but horrendously counterproductive.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of clean eaters trying to get other to hop on board because, yeah, less chimicals and fats and sugars is obviously going to be better for you in the long run.
    Obviously....

*snort*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So I can better understand, you believe there is no nutritional difference between the beef in a McDonalds Big Mac and a rib eye from a grass fed cow.

Why would you try to compare ground beef to ribeye? Make a fair comparison.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is this...technically speaking there are no "clean" foods any more.

Organic veggies come from "atered" seeds and have been GM'd to produce bigger and disease resistent produce.
    Grass fed beef - the ground and air around is full of chemicals etc and what about what is injected into those animals
    "whole foods" are defined as foods with less then 6 ingrediants....you can't make very much with less then 6 ingrediants and homemade bread made with organic this etc has more then 6 ingrediants.
    Xylatol sugar subsitute = GMO free developed in 1891 1 ingredient...but not considered "clean"

There are a host of other examples but that being said the argument is "I feel better eating "clean""...perhaps that is the lost weight and exercise???

But what it comes down is this...do what you want but don't call food "bad" or "icky" or "unclean".

I mean really...if you don't want those who eat what they want in moderation "bashing" clean eating (which I don't believe is done it's more of a defense against deprivation) then don't demonize the choices of not eating "clean"...and accept the fact that those of us who eat what we want feel just as good, have lost as much weight, have as much energy as you do...

I am sure that those "dirty" eaters will agree that yes you probably feel good, have lost weight and have energy, we just disagree that it has anything to do with "whole foods" and "clean eating" because we feel the same way and have acheived what you have.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I find "non-clean" eaters to act superior a lot of the time compared to clean. I see a lot of clean eaters trying to get other to hop on board because, yeah, less chimicals and fats and sugars is obviously going to be better for you in the long run.

But I see a hell of a lot more people who feel personally attacked by the simple suggestion of "eating clean" or a vegan diet, and the idea that it is, shockingly, more healthy for you than the standard western diet of processed foods.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Clean eaters don't act superior, but everyone knows clean eaters just try to make everyone else eat clean because eating clean is so much better for your health.

I'm not sure if that's just plain ignorance, or the perfect example of sarcasm.

Telling us clean eaters aren't superior, and then stating how superior clean eating automatically is in the same sentence. It would be brilliant if it wasn't so sad.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Why would you try to compare ground beef to ribeye? Make a fair comparison.

I agree with jonny on this one..nothing beats a nice big juicy ribeye...regardless of how it's fed.

But you take ground beef and make a burger at home the same size as the one at Micky D's and yes there is no nutrional difference...but the Micky D's one tastes better cause someone else made it.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I eat clean to keep the pain in my hands and feet to a minimum. Also to try and keep type 2 diabetes at bay. I don't have a choice if I want to see my son be a succesfull man.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options

This happens all the time. If I had a dollar every time someone told me fast food or sugar is going to give me cancer or diabetes or whatever else, I'd be a rich man.

you should probably donate the money to cancer research. seeing as you're gonna need it with all your dirty eating habits

I bet he'd just waste it on his McDonald's and Poptarts addiction.

Seek help, Jonnythan! Before it's too late!

You haven't lived til you've snorted powdered Pop-Tart off Ronald McDonald's bum.

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The way I see it, none of this has anything to do with how often anyone eats anything.

This entire argument is about whether certain foods are automatically bad. You warn of dangerous health consequences for people who eat "unclean" food, and I think those crazy scare tactics are not only wrong but horrendously counterproductive.

What % of 'clean' foods one eats doesn't really have anything to do with how often they eat either.

But I can't help but wonder why anyone should care what you think. Nutrition experts - those that study this stuff for a living, that review ALL the research, that DO the research, that peer review others research - suggest eating more whole natural foods and less junk food will up the odds of staying healthy. Choosing to take their advice over some random poster on a free web site makes sense.

Losing weight does not make one knowledgeable in nutrition or eating for health. It just means one knows how to eat less than they burn.

Reading select studies on PubMed or elsewhere does not make one a peer reviewer. It just means one can read and use an internet search engine.