• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, would a cow with pneumonia qualify as "unhealthy food?":smile:

To me it would.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't like bananas, but it would be cheaper and taste the same to just buy some chocolate ice cream topping and mix with pb and taste pretty much the same.

For the price Nutella charges, I expected to taste some hazelnut.

I definitely prefer chocolate-covered, whole hazelnuts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like coffee.
    I like chocolate.
    I like hazelnuts.

I can't stand hazelnut coffee.
    I can't stand Nutella.

I neither particularly like nor dislike chocolate flavored coffee.

And with that, I'm finally in on this silliness.

I hate hazelnut-flavored stuff too! Same with almond-flavored.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like coffee.
    I like chocolate.
    I like hazelnuts.

I can't stand Nutella.

on board with this.
    I was VERY disappointed with Nutella- my jar (from Germany) sent with much love from my best friend who adores Nutella... sits there- and has been sitting there.

it's blllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like coffee.
    I like chocolate.
    I like hazelnuts.

I can't stand Nutella.

True, although Amaretto is good. :drinker:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yay part two of derp.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCruF-E9XN7FqSgVqwSwUit1N3Ovar1xLP3trXXNLqcWB7072vUg
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is a thread that never ends,
    It just goes on and on, my friends!
    Some people started reading it, not knowing what it was,
    And we'll continue arguing forever just because
    This is a thread that never ends,
    It just goes on and on, my friends!
    Some people started reading it, not knowing what it was,
    and we'll continue arguing forever just because.....
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I like coffee.
    I like chocolate.
    I like hazelnuts.

I can't stand Nutella.

True, although Amaretto is good. :drinker:
    And Franjelico is as well, if you mix it with creme de cacao, it tastes like peanut M&Ms.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I laughed way to hard at this! :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I laughed way to hard at this! :laugh:

thats the best definition of healthy food I've seen...applause applause
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused how these:
    1. I enjoy cooking
    2. I want to know where as many elements of my food come from as possible
    3. I want to maintain the energy to sustain an active lifestyle
    4. I want good skin, hair, and teeth
    5. I want good digestion
    6. I want to set a good example for my children
    7. I don't want to rely on supplements or medications
    8. I don't want to feel bad if I chose to have some candy
    9. When I know better, I do better
    are all necessarily the result of "clean" or "cleaner" foods.

It sounds a lot like when someone says something like, "I started eating clean and lost 40 pounds and I feel better, I have more energy, my blood markers improved, etc. so obviously eating clean is the reason and the answer." Why do people not consider that the reason for this was the "lost 40 pounds" resulting from a net calorie deficit and not the "eating clean"?

I mean, I *know* the answer...because we as humans like to find patterns and make connections for causation and our preference is to attribute those positive changes to something we *actively* did (probably so we get the *credit* for the results), but still, it's problematic when it comes to sharing the "obvious" (yet faulty) correlation with a wider audience who have experienced different realities with different conclusions.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate the whole label of "clean" for certain foods. It creates a dichotomy of good and bad foods. There are also way too many definitions of what it means to be clean.

Is a salad from McDonalds clean?
    Is a cake I made from scratch with flour, eggs, butter and sugar clean?
    Is protein powder (I know many self proclaimed clean eaters who consume this) a clean food?

I think the healthiest and most balanced approach when deciding whether to eat a food is to ask two questions
    1. Does it fit in my calorie budget and allow me to get nutrition for the day. Personally I think adequate protein and fiber are the biggest considerations in this.
    2. How does it make me feel when I eat it?
    Question 2 is a highly personal one. I try to fill my diet with the most satisfying food that makes me feel the best and still puts me in a good place in terms of my protein and fiber. I eat a pretty wide variety of food so I don't worry too much about different vitamins. A lot of my food ends up being on the clean eaters list but its not something I specifically strive for. I don't feel like the source of my nutrition is as important as the nutrition itself.

I also want to mention that you can have poor nutrition and be overweight eating "clean" or "dirty" foods. I grew up with health nut parents who were all about being organic and eating whole foods. I just ate way too much quantity and went for the starchy and calorie dense options. I always had the ability to put away a lot of calories no matter which type of food they were from. Also all the restriction growing up made me gorge on junk food when I had the opportunity. I struggled for many years with the issue of "good" and "bad" food. I am happy to say that I have finally reached a more balanced approach. I focus on portion sizes and try to look at my diet overall instead of focusing on demonizing certain foods.

Strong first post...and I actually mean that seriously and not sarcastically. Nicely explained.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What I know is this - anyone who can get fit and trim while drinking beer, eating pizza and wolfing down Haagen Dasz is 1000x more interesting than someone who gets fit eating cauliflower and broccoli.

And in the end, that's all that really matters.

:smokin:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I eat subway. Not often, but my kid loves them. If I ate them all the time, I would be fat. Period - so, I don't. Do I consider them a clean food? Yes and no. But I don't label food clean or dirty. Food either works for me or doesn't. But, I think most people see them as a compromise fast food. Not deep fried, not a veggie burger either. Again, I am not an absolutist. And so called "clean" eaters are not monoliths.

Dammit you sound completely reasonable.

I hate it when that happens. :grumble:

:laugh: :flowerforyou:

Really I didn't think so.

The comment " if I ate there all the time I would be fat period" is completely false. I could eat there for a year and lose weight, it would all depend on how much you ate.

Eating all the time at subway doesn't / wouldn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat.

How do you know what makes me fat or doesn't? Did I say everyone? Did I say you, in particular? I said IF I ATE there more often I would be fat. Self knowledge. I know exactly what made me fat.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    But I don't label food clean or dirty.

Then why are you so personally offended about all this clean eating stuff as if you were one of the clean eaters who bash non-clean-eaters?

You think I am personally offended? I had no idea you were so sensitive. I am not offended. I am engaging in a discussion, that for the most part has been fairly intelligent and interesting on a cold dark Wednesday. No bashing here, just some good fun.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But I don't label food clean or dirty.

Then why are you so personally offended about all this clean eating stuff as if you were one of the clean eaters who bash non-clean-eaters?

You think I am personally offended? I had no idea you were so sensitive. I am not offended. I am engaging in a discussion, that for the most part has been fairly intelligent and interesting on a cold dark Wednesday. No bashing here, just some good fun.

How does you being offended count as me being sensitive? :laugh:

You have been consistently taking offense at the things we say about clean eaters. Now you say you aren't one.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    How do you know what makes me fat or doesn't? Did I say everyone? Did I say you, in particular? I said IF I ATE there more often I would be fat. Self knowledge. I know exactly what made me fat.

Only if you are physically incapable of eating there without overeating. Which seems unlikely.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are still swallowing that nonsense about Phelps consuming 12,000 cals a day whilst in training for the Beijing Olympics. He retracted that in later years IIRC. It was classic piece of misdirection to psyche out his opponents in my opinion.

However, it is undoubtedly true that many athletes consume sizeable amount of food considered to be "junk." Training requires high amounts of energy availability which logistically can't be supplied only by "clean" foods. You'd be eating forever and cramping due to the large volume of food you would have to deal with whilst also working hard.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are still swallowing that nonsense about Phelps consuming 12,000 cals a day whilst in training for the Beijing Olympics.

Even Tour de France riders are "only" consuming 6000-7000 calories a day.

Of course, they're also burning 3500-4500 calories a day on their bikes...
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused how these:
    1. I enjoy cooking
    2. I want to know where as many elements of my food come from as possible
    3. I want to maintain the energy to sustain an active lifestyle
    4. I want good skin, hair, and teeth
    5. I want good digestion
    6. I want to set a good example for my children
    7. I don't want to rely on supplements or medications
    8. I don't want to feel bad if I chose to have some candy
    9. When I know better, I do better
    are all necessarily the result of "clean" or "cleaner" foods.

It sounds a lot like when someone says something like, "I started eating clean and lost 40 pounds and I feel better, I have more energy, my blood markers improved, etc. so obviously eating clean is the reason and the answer." Why do people not consider that the reason for this was the "lost 40 pounds" resulting from a net calorie deficit and not the "eating clean"?

I mean, I *know* the answer...because we as humans like to find patterns and make connections for causation and our preference is to attribute those positive changes to something we *actively* did (probably so we get the *credit* for the results), but still, it's problematic when it comes to sharing the "obvious" (yet faulty) correlation with a wider audience who have experienced different realities with different conclusions.
    Finally, a rational, reasonable response to comments taken entirely in context! I totally agree that this is all subjective and I completely understand that there are people who don't "eat clean" who experience the very same benefits--that's what makes them so passionate about what they believe! That's my point entirely, that no matter what studies you put forth for or against there is nothing that compares to personal experience. What bothers me is the assumption that because I'm happy about my choices I'm, therefore, dissing yours. That's simply not true.