Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    My advice is... do what makes you happiest. Do what makes you feel the best. And stop worrying so much about doing what everyone is telling you to do.

Except that I want optimal health...or at least near-optimal health. I simply don't believe my dietary choices are significantly sub-optimal. Some believe they are. I believe those people are wrong. I am not alone in this belief...

...which brings us to threads like this.

You're cute. :)

^this...

...but some would probably say I'd be cuter if I ate clean.

I'm clean...

*bats eyelashes*

*most awkward flirting ever*
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Why do other people seem to really care what the hell I eat, as long it is not cannibilism and Im not eating any domesticated animals. Personally I normally eat around 80-20 80 percent whole foods and 20 percent not whole foods (ICE CREAM anyone).
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Lets take a fitness approach....would an athlete training for an event....Lets say Michael Phelps (or anyone you choose) be better eating a so called "clean diet" or would he just train eating a not so clean diet (fast food)? Just want to see everyones opinions:)
    Considering Michael Phelps admits to eating a mostly "dirty" diet (of 12,000 calories a day) and has more gold medals and total medals than any individual in the history of the Olympics ever, I'd say he's the poster boy for proving that "clean eating" is an unnecessary approach for health and fitness.
    Yes! He should be the poster boy:)

May I recommend this photo of him for our poster? michael-phelps-quote-of-the-day-pool-pee__oPt.jpg with the caption of dirty eater or soemthing preferably quoted from an interview he did? so as to remain kosher?

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

http://news.menshealth.com/michael-phelps-diet/

There is some gray area afterall!
    Heh? He went from eating lots of home cooked food and fast food (assuming the pizza was probably delivery) everyday to eating lots of home cooked food and fast food every day. What exactly changed? That he's eating foods that fit his macros better?

Wow, we apparently read a different article - I will save myself the multiple cut and pastes and just end with this:

"Cleaner, healthier calories are easier for your body to use as fuel, he explains. “It’s like putting higher octane fuel in a car—I run better when I eat better." Yep, he said the dreaded "C:" word! Cleaner! and yep, he said it was healthier. Wow. Just wow.

Edit: BTW - I was the first person to say that he should eat whatever he wants and that as an elite athlete his eating habits were irrelevant to most of us. Someone else erroneously made him a poster boy for "dirty" eating. And Chelle, as always, you have a great sense of humor.
    He ate oatmeal, a ham & Cheese omelette, a meatball sub from Subway, and whole grains, meat, and vegetables for dinner. So he swapped out the pizza for a (1000 calorie) fast food sub, and swapped out French toast and pancakes for oatmeal. I'm not really seeing how it's that much cleaner, regardless of what the article says, the food speaks for itself.

We all see what we want to see, don't we? You choose to focus on what was reported that he eats. Chelle focuses on his last Olympic performance, and I quoted what he said. And it all fit our WOE and thinking quite well, didn't it? I think that is my point, about the all or nothing, black and white false dichotomy at work here. It is just a whole lotta gray...

Just curious..... Does the 1000 calories of the footlong Subway marinara meatball sub represent anything you would call clean food???

Well, for gawd sake, he is a spokesperson for them - are you surprised he eats them? Let me ask you a question - ever go outside your Macros? Do you meet them each and everyday? Are you completely and totally consistent in your WOE day in and day out?

To answer your question, I eat subway. Not often, but my kid loves them. If I ate them all the time, I would be fat. Period - so, I don't. Do I consider them a clean food? Yes and no. But I don't label food clean or dirty. Food either works for me or doesn't. But, I think most people see them as a compromise fast food. Not deep fried, not a veggie burger either. Again, I am not an absolutist. And so called "clean" eaters are not monoliths.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But I don't label food clean or dirty.

Then why are you so personally offended about all this clean eating stuff as if you were one of the clean eaters who bash non-clean-eaters?
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lets take a fitness approach....would an athlete training for an event....Lets say Michael Phelps (or anyone you choose) be better eating a so called "clean diet" or would he just train eating a not so clean diet (fast food)? Just want to see everyones opinions:)
    Considering Michael Phelps admits to eating a mostly "dirty" diet (of 12,000 calories a day) and has more gold medals and total medals than any individual in the history of the Olympics ever, I'd say he's the poster boy for proving that "clean eating" is an unnecessary approach for health and fitness.
    Yes! He should be the poster boy:)

May I recommend this photo of him for our poster? michael-phelps-quote-of-the-day-pool-pee__oPt.jpg with the caption of dirty eater or soemthing preferably quoted from an interview he did? so as to remain kosher?

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

http://news.menshealth.com/michael-phelps-diet/

There is some gray area afterall!
    Heh? He went from eating lots of home cooked food and fast food (assuming the pizza was probably delivery) everyday to eating lots of home cooked food and fast food every day. What exactly changed? That he's eating foods that fit his macros better?

Wow, we apparently read a different article - I will save myself the multiple cut and pastes and just end with this:

"Cleaner, healthier calories are easier for your body to use as fuel, he explains. “It’s like putting higher octane fuel in a car—I run better when I eat better." Yep, he said the dreaded "C:" word! Cleaner! and yep, he said it was healthier. Wow. Just wow.

Edit: BTW - I was the first person to say that he should eat whatever he wants and that as an elite athlete his eating habits were irrelevant to most of us. Someone else erroneously made him a poster boy for "dirty" eating. And Chelle, as always, you have a great sense of humor.

My sense of humor is pretty legendary. :wink:

That said I would still consider him a poster child. Ate dirty, won 8 gold medals. Ate clean, only won 4, and not because he was being beaten by 'younger' guys. If that's not a testament to the power of french toast I don't know what is.
    haha!! Ill give ya that;) Maybe I worded it wrong before. Maybe with age, he slowed down;) Lol, like your look on the power of french toast though!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I eat subway. Not often, but my kid loves them. If I ate them all the time, I would be fat. Period - so, I don't. Do I consider them a clean food? Yes and no. But I don't label food clean or dirty. Food either works for me or doesn't. But, I think most people see them as a compromise fast food. Not deep fried, not a veggie burger either. Again, I am not an absolutist. And so called "clean" eaters are not monoliths.

Dammit you sound completely reasonable.

I hate it when that happens. :grumble:

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    But I don't label food clean or dirty.

Oh. I thought you were a spokesperson for "clean" eating. (No wonder you don't understand what's wrong with my diary.)

We need a true believer. You can't defend the positions of the One True Way™ if you aren't one of them.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Why did I have to say Michael Phelps......now his picture is all the way down the page.....should have said Kerri Walsh;)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Really I didn't think so.

The comment " if I ate there all the time I would be fat period" is completely false. I could eat there for a year and lose weight, it would all depend on how much you ate.

Eating all the time at subway doesn't / wouldn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat.
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't post much, but have stalked these boards for quite a while and the clean-eating bashing is a big turn-off for me personally. These are the reasons I choose to eat "cleaner":
    1. I enjoy cooking
    2. I want to know where as many elements of my food come from as possible
    3. I want to maintain the energy to sustain an active lifestyle
    4. I want good skin, hair, and teeth
    5. I want good digestion
    6. I want to set a good example for my children
    7. I don't want to rely on supplements or medications
    8. I don't want to feel bad if I chose to have some candy
    9. When I know better, I do better

Of course all of this is subjective, but the great thing is I don't have to rely on anyone else's experiences but my own. I don't have to quantify or qualify or justify. Period.

And those who choose not to eat clean get the same results...that is not relegated to "clean" eaters.

And we don't bash clean eaters for their choices the bashing happens when they tell someone new that it is the only way to lose weight and be healthy. That is false and misleading and can and will lead to the downfall of those who really don't understand what they are being told...most people go gung ho and end up binging on the stuff they are deprived of when they don't have to be deprived.

Choosing to have candy and not feeling bad? how is that only for a clean eater?
    [\quote]

Here's exactly what I mean. Why do you feel the need to respond to a post all about me? I did not make one reference to those who don't eat clean. I only reported what clean eating (and living, by the way) has done for me.
    I'm not foolish enough to make statements about "most, all, or none" because I know that any statement using those words should be backed up with evidence, not opinion.
    I stated that I eat clean (most of the time) so that I can enjoy my occasional treat because I personally would feel like crap if all I ate was crap.

Because you said clean eating bashing is a big turn off and I pointed out we don't bash clean eaters we bash the fallacy that it is the only way to eat to lose weight or if you don't eat clean you will not be healthy. Which I bolded...

I did not bash you or your choices just pointed out they are not just results of clean eating but can happen even if you don't "eat clean".

PS post on a public forum expect someone to possibly read it, even quote it there is no automomy here.
    But again, I am clearly not perpetuating any "fallacy" nor am I trying to recruit anyone to my way of thinking. My motto is simple--you don't need to condemn a dirty glass, just set a clean glass beside it and let people chose for themselves.
    I was simply stating what cleaner eating has done FOR ME in hopes that someone who feels the same way might read it and be encouraged, get a laugh or respond on this public forum.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating cheetos.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a Twinkie or Zinger in decades...

...which means I'm way overdue for one.

(Could someone remind me how many days off my expected lifespan each one of these is? I like to be fully informed about my food choices.)

Remind you? How could you know something like that and forget it? Geez man, if you get information on exactly how a single food will shorten your lifespan, write it down!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Really I didn't think so.

The comment " if I ate there all the time I would be fat period" is completely false. I could eat there for a year and lose weight, it would all depend on how much you ate.

Eating all the time at subway doesn't / wouldn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat.

It depends I guess on what was meant by it. I took it as a self-control thing. Like if I ate at my favorite local pizza place all the time I'd be fat because I'd blow my calorie allowance all the time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I don't post much, but have stalked these boards for quite a while and the clean-eating bashing is a big turn-off for me personally. These are the reasons I choose to eat "cleaner":
    1. I enjoy cooking
    5. I want good digestion

Of course all of this is subjective, but the great thing is I don't have to rely on anyone else's experiences but my own. I don't have to quantify or qualify or justify. Period.

And those who choose not to eat clean get the same results...that is not relegated to "clean" eaters.

And we don't bash clean eaters for their choices the bashing happens when they tell someone new that it is the only way to lose weight and be healthy. That is false and misleading and can and will lead to the downfall of those who really don't understand what they are being told...most people go gung ho and end up binging on the stuff they are deprived of when they don't have to be deprived.

[\quote]

Here's exactly what I mean. Why do you feel the need to respond to a post all about me? I did not make one reference to those who don't eat clean. I only reported what clean eating (and living, by the way) has done for me.
    I'm not foolish enough to make statements about "most, all, or none" because I know that any statement using those words should be backed up with evidence, not opinion.
    I stated that I eat clean (most of the time) so that I can enjoy my occasional treat because I personally would feel like crap if all I ate was crap.

Because you said clean eating bashing is a big turn off and I pointed out we don't bash clean eaters we bash the fallacy that it is the only way to eat to lose weight or if you don't eat clean you will not be healthy. Which I bolded...

I did not bash you or your choices just pointed out they are not just results of clean eating but can happen even if you don't "eat clean".

PS post on a public forum expect someone to possibly read it, even quote it there is no automomy here.
    But again, I am clearly not perpetuating any "fallacy" nor am I trying to recruit anyone to my way of thinking. My motto is simple--you don't need to condemn a dirty glass, just set a clean glass beside it and let people chose for themselves.
    I was simply stating what cleaner eating has done FOR ME in hopes that someone who feels the same way might read it and be encouraged, get a laugh or respond on this public forum.

But don't you see how the dirty glass clean glass metaphor IS condemning?
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OTE:

1. I enjoy cooking
    5. I want good digestion

And there's the bashing. Why do you assume that someone who doesn't eat clean must only eat crap?
    Are you serious? I personally consider candy crap, so if I ate other foods throughout my day that I also consider crap I would feel like crap. I don't know or care what anyone else eats. This post is all about me, me, me!!!
    Here's the kicker--if I consider candy crap, and I admittedly eat candy, I am, obviously, not trying to push "clean eating" on anyone, but at my age, I know what works for me.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. :angry: But I'm having a Poptart ice cream sandwich in front of Survivor tonight, so I'll get over it. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh so the dirty glass is like dirty food.

Sure. You're not condemning anything.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Just had Nucita (it's like Nutella) on bread
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Just had Nucita (it's like Nutella) on bread

I was so disappointed when I tried Nutella. I'd heard over and over how wonderful it was. It tasted like someone had melted a Hershey bar and spread it on my toast.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I was so disappointed when I tried Nutella. I'd heard over and over how wonderful it was. It tasted like someone had melted a Hershey bar and spread it on my toast.

That sounds amazing.