Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    And again for the record, nobody gives a crap, really, what you eat. It is when you* tell people that they aren't healthy / don't care about their health / will get cancer / won't lose weight etc etc if they don't eat clean that you* bashed.

* you = clean eaters that say these things. Just like the Op did on the first page of the original thread.

If this particular part gets quoted another 20 pages will the "clean eaters" finally understand?????

doubtful....

Only if you can quote me all the examples of the above. No one has been bashed on this thread with the exception of the off-putting Obamacare comment in the beginning. No cancer, no weight gain, no you don't care.
    Did you miss the original post in this thread? The one that said that people who don't eat clean "disparage clean eater" because they "put more effort into their health" than non clean eaters? That's the definition of claiming someone else doesn't care.

ETA my head hurts, too much butt hurt, to much debate and now Phelps is the poster child of something...out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lets take a fitness approach....would an athlete training for an event....Lets say Michael Phelps (or anyone you choose) be better eating a so called "clean diet" or would he just train eating a not so clean diet (fast food)? Just want to see everyones opinions:)
    Considering Michael Phelps admits to eating a mostly "dirty" diet (of 12,000 calories a day) and has more gold medals and total medals than any individual in the history of the Olympics ever, I'd say he's the poster boy for proving that "clean eating" is an unnecessary approach for health and fitness.
    Yes! He should be the poster boy:)

May I recommend this photo of him for our poster? michael-phelps-quote-of-the-day-pool-pee__oPt.jpg with the caption of dirty eater or soemthing preferably quoted from an interview he did? so as to remain kosher?

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

http://news.menshealth.com/michael-phelps-diet/

There is some gray area afterall!
    Heh? He went from eating lots of home cooked food and fast food (assuming the pizza was probably delivery) everyday to eating lots of home cooked food and fast food every day. What exactly changed? That he's eating foods that fit his macros better?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I know that many ironman athletes consume loads of 'dirty' foods in the off season. Some of the put on more body fat than optimal for the racing season, and so go through a cut phase. Then look almost alarmingly thin during the competition season, but can be seen celebrating after races with lots of beer and chips. Or cinnamon rolls.

cceb6027-5ad4-4459-a0d6-a67fe349c770

loricinamonbun.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I may be changing my mind. Because it's hard to ignore a man in speedo's with an LV bag by his side. dirty-butterfly-michael-phelps-louis-vuitton.jpeg

ETA: brb, I'm looking for the rules. my instinct is that the official sport uniform of an olympian should be okay, but I just wanna double check.

I can't possibly the only one who hates this picture because he has on swimming googles in 2 feet of water. he barely fits in the tub.

although :drool:

dat body
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Okay, I surrender. We are all a**holes running around telling people what to do, what they do wrong and judging everyone else. You should hate and despise us. In fact, I am, at this moment, so full of self-loathing I am going to go do a body scrub, after an enema and body detox cleanse and eat my weight in Kale. And I will lose weight and reduce my chances of getting cancer, heart disease, and getting laid in the mean time.

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't you recognize the VAST majority of people who are doing the EXACT opposite? If you look over this thread and part one, the majority of the bashing is targeted at those meanie clean eaters. You are always going to find what you are looking for if that is all you do.

Edit: And the yelling - so.not.cool.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Lets take a fitness approach....would an athlete training for an event....Lets say Michael Phelps (or anyone you choose) be better eating a so called "clean diet" or would he just train eating a not so clean diet (fast food)? Just want to see everyones opinions:)
    Considering Michael Phelps admits to eating a mostly "dirty" diet (of 12,000 calories a day) and has more gold medals and total medals than any individual in the history of the Olympics ever, I'd say he's the poster boy for proving that "clean eating" is an unnecessary approach for health and fitness.

May I recommend this photo of him for our poster? michael-phelps-quote-of-the-day-pool-pee__oPt.jpg with the caption of dirty eater or soemthing preferably quoted from an interview he did? so as to remain kosher?

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

8 medals in 2008

4 in 2012

So if anything this says he did better with the pancakes and french toast. Guess dirty eating wins this day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OKAY so after finding the rules "banana hammock" was the only thing I needed clarifying for from my good friend google. Please note: DO NOT google banana hammock, it is so NOT what mr phelps is wearing there. by any S t r e t c h of the imagination. I am definetly in clear territory on this post, but sadly I am also probably in clear territory as for consuming ANY cals today. My eyes. I may have to ask santa for a new pair.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

Heh? He went from eating lots of home cooked food and fast food (assuming the pizza was probably delivery) everyday to eating lots of home cooked food and fast food every day. What exactly changed? That he's eating foods that fit his macros better?
    Thats a good question:)
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

8 medals in 2008

4 in 2012

So if anything this says he did better with the pancakes and french toast. Guess dirty eating wins this day.
    That.......or hes older facing a younger competition;) can't rule out the variables!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OKAY so after finding the rules "banana hammock" was the only thing I needed clarifying for from my good friend google. Please note: DO NOT google banana hammock, it is so NOT what mr phelps is wearing there. by any S t r e t c h of the imagination. I am definetly in clear territory on this post, but sadly I am also probably in clear territory as for consuming ANY cals today. My eyes. I may have to ask santa for a new pair.

bah ha ha ha ha hah
  • jayrudq
    Options

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

Wow, we apparently read a different article - I will save myself the multiple cut and pastes and just end with this:

"Cleaner, healthier calories are easier for your body to use as fuel, he explains. “It’s like putting higher octane fuel in a car—I run better when I eat better." Yep, he said the dreaded "C:" word! Cleaner! and yep, he said it was healthier. Wow. Just wow.

Edit: BTW - I was the first person to say that he should eat whatever he wants and that as an elite athlete his eating habits were irrelevant to most of us. Someone else erroneously made him a poster boy for "dirty" eating. And Chelle, as always, you have a great sense of humor.
  • Achrya
    Options

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

8 medals in 2008

4 in 2012

That.......or hes older facing a younger competition;) can't rule out the variables!

He did silver in an event he had won to a younger guy, but he also silvered in the relay against the french (previously had gotten gold) who were an older team over all. Didn't medal in the 400 meter, which went to Lochte, who is the same age (guy who got silver was 1 year younger than Phelps).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not...

...even though the sequel is (almost) never better than the original.

ETA: "Clean" adherents, behold and tremble in fear: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6

(...and scroll back a few days if you're really brave.)

I liked Thor 2 better than the original. :tongue:

Your diary looks delicious.
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OTE:

I don't post much, but have stalked these boards for quite a while and the clean-eating bashing is a big turn-off for me personally. These are the reasons I choose to eat "cleaner":
    1. I enjoy cooking
    2. I want to know where as many elements of my food come from as possible
    3. I want to maintain the energy to sustain an active lifestyle
    4. I want good skin, hair, and teeth
    5. I want good digestion
    6. I want to set a good example for my children
    7. I don't want to rely on supplements or medications
    8. I don't want to feel bad if I chose to have some candy
    9. When I know better, I do better

Of course all of this is subjective, but the great thing is I don't have to rely on anyone else's experiences but my own. I don't have to quantify or qualify or justify. Period.

And those who choose not to eat clean get the same results...that is not relegated to "clean" eaters.

And we don't bash clean eaters for their choices the bashing happens when they tell someone new that it is the only way to lose weight and be healthy. That is false and misleading and can and will lead to the downfall of those who really don't understand what they are being told...most people go gung ho and end up binging on the stuff they are deprived of when they don't have to be deprived.

Choosing to have candy and not feeling bad? how is that only for a clean eater?

Here's exactly what I mean. Why do you feel the need to respond to a post all about me? I did not make one reference to those who don't eat clean. I only reported what clean eating (and living, by the way) has done for me.
    I'm not foolish enough to make statements about "most, all, or none" because I know that any statement using those words should be backed up with evidence, not opinion.
    I stated that I eat clean (most of the time) so that I can enjoy my occasional treat because I personally would feel like crap if all I ate was crap.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are not healthy.. I don't even think an iifym person would try to say they are.

Nor are they unhealthy.

An IIFYM person would say that the healthiness of a particular item, or lack thereof, is itself a myth. Only a diet can be healthy or unhealthy, that trait cannot be applied to an individual food item (barring allergies or other acute toxicity).

This is not that hard to grasp. Heath food is a myth. So is junk food.

This. 100 times this!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    still trying to get to read this!
  • Achrya
    Options

READ IT AND WEEP, BOYS!

Wow, we apparently read a different article - I will save myself the multiple cut and pastes and just end with this:

"Cleaner, healthier calories are easier for your body to use as fuel, he explains. “It’s like putting higher octane fuel in a car—I run better when I eat better." Yep, he said the dreaded "C:" word! Cleaner! and yep, he said it was healthier. Wow. Just wow.

Edit: BTW - I was the first person to say that he should eat whatever he wants and that as an elite athlete his eating habits were irrelevant to most of us. Someone else erroneously made him a poster boy for "dirty" eating. And Chelle, as always, you have a great sense of humor.

My sense of humor is pretty legendary. :wink:

That said I would still consider him a poster child. Ate dirty, won 8 gold medals. Ate clean, only won 4, and not because he was being beaten by 'younger' guys. If that's not a testament to the power of french toast I don't know what is.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OTE:

I don't post much, but have stalked these boards for quite a while and the clean-eating bashing is a big turn-off for me personally. These are the reasons I choose to eat "cleaner":
    1. I enjoy cooking
    2. I want to know where as many elements of my food come from as possible
    3. I want to maintain the energy to sustain an active lifestyle
    4. I want good skin, hair, and teeth
    5. I want good digestion
    6. I want to set a good example for my children
    7. I don't want to rely on supplements or medications
    8. I don't want to feel bad if I chose to have some candy
    9. When I know better, I do better

Of course all of this is subjective, but the great thing is I don't have to rely on anyone else's experiences but my own. I don't have to quantify or qualify or justify. Period.

And those who choose not to eat clean get the same results...that is not relegated to "clean" eaters.

And we don't bash clean eaters for their choices the bashing happens when they tell someone new that it is the only way to lose weight and be healthy. That is false and misleading and can and will lead to the downfall of those who really don't understand what they are being told...most people go gung ho and end up binging on the stuff they are deprived of when they don't have to be deprived.

Choosing to have candy and not feeling bad? how is that only for a clean eater?

Here's exactly what I mean. Why do you feel the need to respond to a post all about me? I did not make one reference to those who don't eat clean. I only reported what clean eating (and living, by the way) has done for me.
    I'm not foolish enough to make statements about "most, all, or none" because I know that any statement using those words should be backed up with evidence, not opinion.
    I stated that I eat clean (most of the time) so that I can enjoy my occasional treat because I personally would feel like crap if all I ate was crap.

But according your own post extolling the virtues of 'clean eating' you admit you eat candy. And (rightly) don't feel bad about doing it.

Clean eating is so incredibly UNDEFINED and personal, that for anyone to stand on a pedestal (like OP) and proclaim that they way they eat is superior, is downright silly and flame baiting.
  • jayrudq
    Options
    Pop tarts are not healthy.. I don't even think an iifym person would try to say they are.

Nor are they unhealthy.

An IIFYM person would say that the healthiness of a particular item, or lack thereof, is itself a myth. Only a diet can be healthy or unhealthy, that trait cannot be applied to an individual food item (barring allergies or other acute toxicity).

This is not that hard to grasp. Heath food is a myth. So is junk food.

This. 100 times this!

And I disagree. The nutritional value of food is not a myth. My god, even Michael Phelps thinks so:

he says. “Now I’m eating less, but I’m getting my calories from nutrient- and protein-dense foods.” And even though he is only half the man he used to be, that has to count for something? Doesn't it?