How to keep a kitten off of the Christmas tree???

Options

Replies

• SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    @sunn Your link is false lol =). Just for fun.

My husband can disprove number 1 with our cat chance lol.
    We're glass is half empty kind of people so it suits us, we prefer the term realists.
    Number 3 no personal desire to do, props to them though?
    4 true, but so are dogs. In a lot worse fashion (ripping off faces and such on a more regular basis).
    You really think cats don't appreciate food?
    You call that mean? What exactly do you call it when dogs bark and snarl at cats just walking across the street not even near
    them?
    You can celebrate any animal.
    It's already been pointed out that cats can be just as excited to see their owners. Dogs just do it in a sloppier, louder fashion.
    Cats protect humans as well. I can vouch for this.
    Cats can't high-five? PFFFFTTT.. Youtube please.
    Some dogs are afraid of water. Not all cats are =).
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    just leave the tree on it's side, skip the tinsle and breakable ornaments. You may also want to go with a cactus next year
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I was suckered in about a month ago by my 4 year old to get a kitten. It's definitely a job trying to preserve things around the house from this kitten. She is tearing everything up and knocking things over left and right. My only concern right now is the Christmas tree. We are going to be putting it up next week and I already know she's going to be swinging from vine to vine and knocking everything off. Anyone know or have any ideas how to keep this kitten off of the tree? As long as my son is happy we are keeping the kitten; I just want some ideas other than getting rid of the kitten and hanging the tree from the ceiling lol. Thanks

Experienced cat owner here. You can't keep the kitten off the Christmas tree.

Here are your options:

(1) Put the tree in a room with a door you can close.
    (2) Put the tree outside.
    (2) Give up on having a tree (I chose this option). Instead, hang garland at the top of the windows and decorate the fireplace mantel. You can also drape garland over the tops of doors. Just be sure the kitten can't reach it.

Cats will not learn to stay off the tree. They are hunters. It is part of their hunting nature to pounce and explore. They do not feel guilt and while the kitten might run when you bring out a water bottle, the kitten will try again as soon as the bottle is out of sight.

Also, ***very important*** it is your number one job to keep the kitten safe from all the stuff on the tree - tinsel that can be swallowed, ornaments that can be broken, etc.

Make life easy. Learn to love garland over the windows, doors and fireplace. Walmart sells some that looks almost real.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Tie a horse to the kitten's back.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I love that someone can ask for advice on how to deal with her kitten that she has no intention of giving up, and your suggestion is to engage the age old argument about whether or not dogs are better than cats.

Guess what... we get it. You hate cats! Now kindly take your cat-hate to a dog-lover's thread.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    We tie our tree to the window sill.

Hopefully, Dooshy MacDooshbag (<<<pictured,) is good with it, as this will be his first Christmas with us.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Best trick I have found so far :

In an empty bottle mix
    1liter of water
    10 drops lemon essential oils
    20 drops eucalyptus oil

Spray the tree with the mix

^^^ THIS!!! Works with our cats every year, you just spray it on your tree every few days!!!
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    Punch it in the face. Works every time.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Decorate the tree with fishing lures. :bigsmile:
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have two cats and a dog, my dog is kind of a moron so she has a tendency to run into the Christmas tree. (whole other issue)

I don't put any ornaments on the lower half of the tree, I don't keep any tinsel whatsoever on it, because cats will eat and could require some serious surgery. The only other thing I can think of is to get a citronella spray thing, I forget what it's called, but spray it on your tree and your kitten will probably not like the smell and will stay away.

Good luck.
  • MissLuana
    Options
    A couple years ago, 2 strays adopted me and my daughter. We haven't had a tree since :laugh:
  • MissLuana
    Options

Here are your options:

(2) Give up on having a tree (I chose this option). Instead, hang garland at the top of the windows and decorate the fireplace mantel. You can also drape garland over the tops of doors. Just be sure the kitten can't reach it.

Cats will not learn to stay off the tree. They are hunters. It is part of their hunting nature to pounce and explore. They do not feel guilt and while the kitten might run when you bring out a water bottle, the kitten will try again as soon as the bottle is out of sight.

Also, ***very important*** it is your number one job to keep the kitten safe from all the stuff on the tree - tinsel that can be swallowed, ornaments that can be broken, etc.

Make life easy. Learn to love garland over the windows, doors and fireplace. Walmart sells some that looks almost real.

Totally agree with no tree and xmas decorations instead...providing they are not interesting to the cats.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Here are your options:

This. And I would like to add (referring back to my previous post) that cats (especially younger ones) can also be strangled with the tree decorations. They can also be strangled by window-blind cords... among any other cord/rope like items that may be out in the open in your home. I used to be a receptionist at veterinarian. We had a family who came home one day and found their cat dead, strangled by the cords of their window blinds. :frown:
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    jack dainels and a bb gun
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This is why you get a dog, your cat runs your house. Who's meowin now.

Which is all well and good until the dog pees on it...
  • VixenInTraining
    Options

Here are your options:

This. And I would like to add (referring back to my previous post) that cats (especially younger ones) can also be strangled with the tree decorations. They can also be strangled by window-blind cords... among any other cord/rope like items that may be out in the open in your home. I used to be a receptionist at veterinarian. We had a family who came home one day and found their cat dead, strangled by the cords of their window blinds. :frown:

LOL cats are so friggin dumb :laugh: :laugh:

Look at it. Just look at it. lol
    20b1t3k.jpg

Who in the world would want one. Err deerr look at me I'm a cat duurr errh hurr duuurr
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    jack dainels and a bb gun

Hellz yeah!!!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Decorate the tree with fishing lures. :bigsmile:

/end thread
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You could put some mothballs in festive little gauze bags as part of your decorations, and hang some oranges from your tree, or display oranges decoratively around the tree.