Do You Like It in the AM or the PM??

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm at my best in the evening. The thought of being underneath a squat bar with a couple hundred Lbs on it first thing in the morning is...pretty much unthinkable. I'd probably be crushed.

Really you want to work out when ever is best for you and whenever you can crush it. There's a lot of nonsense out there in RE to jump starting metabolism and all that ****...and that's all it is...a bunch of bro-science nonsense...there is no such thing as "jump starting" your metabolism.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I've done it both but, I'm a morning person and feel much better after a good morning session.

For kicks, if you think of the topic being about lovemaking, everyone's answers are more interesting. :happy:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    all the time
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Not what I expected, but I prefer AM for working out. All day for anything else.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I take when I can get it. No preference.
  • btwinkles
    btwinkles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am able to maintain morning workout schedule better than evenings. but do what works for you. Although, when I work out in the morning, it helps me stay focused on eating healthier during the day so that I don't undo all that hard work I put in for that morning. So if you are like minded. you will see better results because you're eating better. Working out in the morning for me gives me a clear mind and helps me stay focused on my health goals. hope that helps!!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The OP asked for "trainers" to come back and discuss results they had seen. I'm not a trainer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. While I was there I did some research on some fitness sites, Active.com, Runners world and didn't find any articles that said you would get better results in the AM or PM. I did read lots of pros and cons of each.

If you aren't working out at all now, how about picking whichever you are less likely to skip? I can guarantee that working out any time is 100% more effective than not working out ever.

Some might advise you to get up early and work out to get it out of the way. Then no matter what your day hands you, you won't have to try and squeeze in a workout. For me personally, I am a night owl and I cannot get up early (due to my large eyes and beak). I like working out late in the evening 8/9pm. I'm seeing great results but I am guess that is due to /what/ I am doing and not /when/.

Again listen to the people telling you that it doesn't matter when you work it out... just work it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My husband and I typically work out in the evenings. :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out whether I should work out in the AM or the PM.

Can't give you an answer but only let you know my experience.

I find that I can cycle, row or swim easily in the morning but for running, circuits or weights I'm far more likely to get results in the afternoon.

Joints and muscles are stiffer in the mornings and it takes me time to warm up and loosen up, and that fits in with those sessions.

That said, I do need to fuel up in both cases.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I'm not a trainer, but I have done a lot of research on this topic as well and I think there are equal amounts of pros and cons to both sides of the issue. I agree with the previous posters who have mentioned that the time of day you work out isn't of consequence; the important thing is that you make it part of your life and don't stop! :)

Personally, I work a job that can be very physically demanding and I know if I don't go work out in the mornings, the likelihood of getting my workout in that day is greatly diminished because I simply am spent by the time I get home from work.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I like IT in the PM and i also like working out in the PM. ;)

oh but thats cuz I work. on the weekends I LOVE it IN THE AM also.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Morning for me, get it over with.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I take it when I can get it. I like a good cardio in the morning for the energy. Any strength I do is usually right after work before I get home to relax. So some days I get both but if I at least start in the morning everything else is a bonus!!
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings . i would love to do it in the mornings, but i work at 530. I'm in not down to ne dragging my *kitten* out of bed any earlier. :)
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My best time seems to be right after work. I've tried before work and after dinner, but neither seem to be good for me. I like going right after work, then take a shower, make dinner and settle in for the night.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Totally not the topic I was expecting :glasses: but I prefer working out in the evening after work. On weekends, I prefer the AM.
  • shanDrum
    shanDrum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I workout mostly in the a.m. It really helps to jump start your day and put you in a great mood. I can tell the difference if I wait later in the day- I feel more grumpy. Also, in addition to the increase in mood, you have your workouts over and done with for the day. It may take some getting use to if your not a morning person, but it is doable and once you start, you will feel so much better:)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts done in the very early morning...I find that it really gives me energy at the start of the day.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I like my early morning workouts... it's then done and out of the way. I also feel so energetic after I workout in the morning.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I think whatever fits your schedule best so you'll maintain consistency.

For me that's first thing in the morning. I am so NOT a morning person, but working out gets the blood circulating to my brain again, lol.

I also have wicked insomnia and need a good block of wind-down time at night. The last thing I need is to get revved up, or I can kiss sleep goodbye.