Do you expect to count calories the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with continuing to do something that works. Could you clarify?

Because last night!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Been using MFP for 3 years, not everyday now but I do not see myself stopping

With a TDEE of only 1750, it is too easy to eat just a few 100 calories too much everyday
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not the rest of my life, but at least years. Long enough to understand what a sustainable diet is like, and until those portions are a really strong habit.

This is about where I stand. I will count after getting to maintenance but I really wanna transition into putting on TONS of muscle so I'll need to track calories in order to eat an excess. Once my LMB is way higher, I may be able to maintain with more ease.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I guesstimate my portion sizes.

I hit my target weight (high school graduation weight), and celebrated. Six months later, I was creeping up again.

I do "listen" to my body, now that I have trained it to accept a calorie consumption closer to TDEE. In other words, I now just kinda "know" when I've eaten enough (a meal, or even for the day). Thus, it was easy to get back to target, and pretty much maintain.

Currently, my target is set 5 pounds less than my high school graduation weight. This is because I obviously don't have as much muscle as when I was young because I still have a small muffin top which I didn't have when I was young. My goal is to lose both the muffin top and the loose midriff skin over the next 3-5 years.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Considering I want to be fit for the rest of my life, yes
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I expect to eventually establish healthy eating _habits_. I do have 43 years of eating habits to unlearn, so I do not expect this to happen overnight. Maybe in a few months I'll have enough positive eating experience that I can stop weighing my food and counting calories.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have two options:
    1. Count calories
    2. Be fat.

^^ I LOVE THIS!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most likely. Or at least loosely monitor my intake and overall weight/condition.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    In at least some form, yes. Maybe not every day.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Probably.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you think counting calories every single day is the "lifestyle" that everyone speaks of, you are most certainly missing the boat. You should be using this time to learn how to eat...learn portion control...learn what your calories look like and how much of whatever you need to fuel your body. You should be focused on proper nutrition and fitness...that is the "lifestyle"...fitness and proper nutrition should be your life time endeavors.

I've been maintaining for 7 months and do not count...I apply the things I learned while I was losing to my day to day life...I continue maintain a diet rich in nutrient dense foods...lots of veg, fruit, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats...and as importantly, I continue to rock my fitness.

Maintenance is actually really easy...your body naturally wants to maintain weight...the biggest mistake people make is simply going back to old habits...and they so closely associate their fitness with weight loss that they fail to set independent fitness goals...and they just stop working out once they've crossed some arbitrary finish line and reached some arbitrary scale weight.

Take this time to learn...and then apply your knowledge in maintenance...and for the love of god, get your fitness on...it is as much or even more important in maintenance than it is for losing.

This!

So no, no I don't. I've completely changed the way I eat, the way I see food, the foods I include in my diet, how much I eat etc. and I intend to keep that all up when I'm maintaining, and keep up with my fitness. But I don't intend to count everything because I won't need to. (because of all the lifestyle changes)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Do you expect to count calories the rest of your life?

Yes.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, but I think it might be better to ask successful maintainers whether or not they still log every day.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    If you think counting calories every single day is the "lifestyle" that everyone speaks of, you are most certainly missing the boat. You should be using this time to learn how to eat...learn portion control...learn what your calories look like and how much of whatever you need to fuel your body. You should be focused on proper nutrition and fitness...that is the "lifestyle"...fitness and proper nutrition should be your life time endeavors.

I've been maintaining for 7 months and do not count...I apply the things I learned while I was losing to my day to day life...I continue maintain a diet rich in nutrient dense foods...lots of veg, fruit, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats...and as importantly, I continue to rock my fitness.

Maintenance is actually really easy...your body naturally wants to maintain weight...the biggest mistake people make is simply going back to old habits...and they so closely associate their fitness with weight loss that they fail to set independent fitness goals...and they just stop working out once they've crossed some arbitrary finish line and reached some arbitrary scale weight.

Take this time to learn...and then apply your knowledge in maintenance...and for the love of god, get your fitness on...it is as much or even more important in maintenance than it is for losing.

QFT! (Yeeeeaaahhhh, I just learnt lastnight what this means!!)
    I'm not going to be meticulously counting every individual calorie, but I know that I will be aware of exactly how many calories I need, how many are in the foods I'm eating, I've no doubt that somedays I'll go over (life happens), but at least I am aware now of how many I'd need to "burn off". I know I will always be more aware of Calories.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't really have issues knowing what I'm going to eat and even fitting in some "bad" stuff into my diet as long as I get a majority of healthy food in and not feel guilty if I know how many calories and macros I'm eating. I always weigh my food when I can and everyone looks at me weird. It's kind of a hassle too.
    Since relying on my natural hunger/full cues doesn't lead me to eating the amount that keeps me at a healthy weight, I consider it a form of basic hygiene or taking care of one's body, same as brushing/flossing my teeth, showering, washing and wearing clothes, tying shoes, using a potty, wearing glasses, etc.

But then I don't actually find it annoying since the amount of time I spend weighing/logging is a tiny fraction of what I spend on food preparation anyway.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My plan is to continue logging. To be aware of what I am eating, no mindless eating any more. Heck I even take pics of meals now so I don't forget what I consumed. It brings me a hightened awareness, that seem to be working for me.

I had lost 30+ lbs several times, but I get a disconnect thing happening and with the logging, I don't feel that disconnection. I am losing but some days I am over my cals. others, days when I am just not as hungry I go under a good deal.

I am more concerned about my macros these days 40c/30p/30f, the closer I get to hitting those, the better I feel and the easier it is to feel in control of all my eating.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options

This is more or less my plan. Once I get a good handle on eye-balling and estimating my food, I'll quit weighing except to occasionally check to see if I'm right. Once I think I can do it right 95% of the time, I'll quit measuring at all....
    If I can go for a few months just estimating and logging and still maintain, I'll quit logging.

I imagine it'll be 9 months to a year before I ditch MFP.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No. I only made it like, 3-4 weeks counting calories. I lost most of my weight not counting. I guess I'm just really good at moderation and knowing when I've had enough!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm fighting an addiction and an obsession.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    pretty much and i"m okay with that...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!