Do you expect to count calories the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yes. I also intend to continue going to the gym for the rest of my life and working on my fitness goals.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Nah, I've taken numerous breaks and proved to myself I can maintain pretty reasonably when I'm not counting.

Keeping track of my carbs/fat/protein numbers pushes me to make more diverse choices in my diet however, and I feel better for it, so I wouldn't necessarily mind tracking even if I didn't think I'd need it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • babeontherun
    Options
    No. Once the healthy habits are a normal part of life, I will stop.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that they suggest weighing your food once a week to check you are still within your portions, so my plan is to start easing up now for the holidays (I have noticed I was getting a little obsessed now and the rest of my 'goal' is vanity anyways) and then check where I stand in January. I'll still weigh myself, but I got up last night because I remembered I hadn't logged some cucumber and that's just not normal (it was like 5 calories) :blushing:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Even though I continue to lose (slowly) I quit counting calories some time ago. I felt like I was obsessing and stressing, so I quit. But I keep up with my macros and make sure to include plenty of fresh fruit and veggies at mealtime.
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep, it keeps me accountable. Plus I feel like I can eat anything I want without effing up my weight loss.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i expect to have to portion control and log
  • jents4
    Options
    I'm hoping it will just come naturally after a while...knowing how much I should eat
  • JulieAnnRap
    Options
    I haven't counted calories in the 3 months of "dieting". I hate counting calories, therefore I limit my diet now to vegetables, fruit, legumes, and whole grains. I find this much easier than counting points or calories, though that might sound crazy to some. :-)
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No, I plan to live for quite awhile. Someday I'll just be using it a bit, then one day I'll just stop caring...and I'll still be as happy and healthy as ever.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yes... I've already proven to myself that I can't be trusted to keep macros / weight where they are to be without doing it.
  • nicole1278
    Options
    I think I will. fell off the wagon and had 5 kg's back on within no time... :( ah well... got to have something to do hey? :)
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    In august i stopped logging and maintained my weight range of 110-114. I didn't count, but i listened to hunger cues. So if that still is true once i reach my goal weight, then no, i won't count- unless i see the number go up.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    of course!

After a couple years, counting calories has become habit anyways.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for a year and I still log. Not really because of calories since I know about how much to eat to maintain, but because of my macros. I suck at getting enough protein if left to my own devices. Also I may do some bulking and cutting at some point and I would need to count for that.

It takes me 10 minutes to log (less if I'm eating foods I've had before) so I don't mind doing it.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I did this all once before and gained it all back and then some, so I'll have to count calories for a good long time after hitting maintenance. I have a good handle on portions and only eating when I'm hungry now, but old habits are easy to fall into and I really don't ever want to do this all over again.
  • Just_Kim_
    Just_Kim_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    yes
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At this point, I don't mind doing it at all. If I was having to add everything up and write it in a notebook or something, that'd be different, but having an app on your phone and being able to do it in a few minutes a day is hard to argue with.

Plus, even when I hit my goal weight I'll want to know where my protein is at each day, and I may still be trying to make fine adjustments by eating above maintenance for awhile to put on a bit of muscle or cutting down a bit from time to time.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not exactly. I hope to learn healthier habits so that I can continue on with my life without a fear of turning back. Of course, I'm not to the end of my weight loss by any means either. As I've seen others say, I'll watch the scale, and if I see numbers going up, I'll track religiously again to see where I'm going wrong.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!